follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
nlamon33

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Texas Job Hunting/Networking Thread

Hey guys,

So I got this idea from a thread over on NASIOC, and although I never used it I thought it was a cool way to connect/network with people who share a common interest.

I searched around a little bit and could not find a thread like this (at least not in the Southwest region) so I figured I'd go ahead and start one.

So here's how it works,

1) If you're looking for a job, post up the essentials. Relative education, job experience, location, projects, etc. Give a brief description of yourself and/or what type of job you are looking for. Also post LinkedIn info if you feel comfortable
And just for the sake of keeping it light and not so "serious" on the car forum, maybe talk about what you like to do outside of work/school. Just keep it concise.

2) If you're searching for potential hires, you should know what to do. Position title, company, location, what kind of experience is needed, what the position consists of and whatever else you are looking for.
Same as before, to keep it more interesting/upbeat give a brief description of the type of work environment and the people who will be surrounding the potential hire. I know, at least for me, that is a huge piece of the puzzle as I have been searching for jobs. If some of the employees go grab a beer every other Friday, write that down. Stuff like that is awesome and I feel probably gets overlooked in a more formal interview setting.

I will kick things off:

My name is Nick and I'm currently a Junior at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. I'm studying Mechanical engineering and plan on minoring in Business Administration and Mathematics. My current overall GPA is a 3.56 and I will be graduating in May of 2015.

I'm currently looking for a paid summer internship position that will compliment my studies at SMU. I prefer to stay local (DFW area), but may consider other opportunities depending on location. Some examples of companies that I've applied at: Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, John Deere, GM, Solar Turbines, Tesla and a few others.

I have had two summer internships with Lexa Records, a medical record storage company where I answered phones, prepared/sent patient records, maintained the storage facility, and created a database to record the location of the records when moving to a new facility. I know it's not the "best" experience for my major, but I learned a lot and enjoyed my time there.

I know computer aided design is a huge credential for engineers. I'm currently enrolled in a CAD class where I'm learning SolidWorks, and I'm already fairly comfortable with it. I learn fast and I like to work fast. I also love working around people, human interaction and successful communication get things done!

Outside of school, I am obviously a huge car nerd. (duh) I'm kind of a workout fanatic, and I like to be outside. Mountain biking, golf, whatever I enjoy a lot of different stuff. I autocross a fair bit, and try to go to random meets whenever I can. I like meeting new people! If anything comes out of this thread maybe I can learn some new names.

LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...ve_tab_profile
(I'm still fairly new to LinkedIn)

Anyways, I hope this thread at least interests some people. Also, let me know if you have any suggested changes to the format and I can update this post.

Thanks all,
Nick

Last edited by nlamon33; 01-29-2014 at 06:58 PM.
nlamon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nlamon33 For This Useful Post:
Foxman13 (01-29-2014), FriedRicr (05-11-2014), Guff (01-29-2014), JonAvalon (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice Idea Nick. I just hope the board moderators don't move the thread since this is not directly car related.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
It's not car related but it"s regional related. I would think it is acceptable.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
nlamon33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hairpins View Post
Nice Idea Nick. I just hope the board moderators don't move the thread since this is not directly car related.
Thanks!
Yeah I considered putting it in the Off-topic lounge but it really wouldn't be useful without being region specific. I know it may not fit the norm, but being able to network with other car enthusiasts is a pretty cool opportunity.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I like it! Maybe this'll help me get a job sometime down the line...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
nlamon33 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
N_A

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thumbs up

I like this. I'm actually in the job market. I'm finishing up my last MBA course this semester.

I have a BBA in finance. Currently a business manager at JPMorgan. Been there for 8 years now. Focus is in process improvement, business designs, operations oversight, and internal control.
N_A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_A For This Useful Post:
nlamon33 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I don't see how looking for a job is a bad thing in this section. Especially in this economy and Texas is so large. DF/W, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston... lots of jobs. People are flocking to this state for a reason.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Drives: 2011 STi & 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I don't see how looking for a job is a bad thing in this section. Especially in this economy and Texas is so large. DF/W, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston... lots of jobs. People are flocking to this state for a reason.
My wife & I have been looking at relocating to TX for this exact reason. I put in my transfer paperwork last week. Should find out in a month or so if I will indeed be moving to the Ft Worth area or not.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi sedan
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
wlwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wlwarfield For This Useful Post:
FriedRicr (05-11-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwarfield View Post
My wife & I have been looking at relocating to TX for this exact reason. I put in my transfer paperwork last week. Should find out in a month or so if I will indeed be moving to the Ft Worth area or not.
Grew up there the first 18 years of my life in the midcities. It's awesome living near two big cities. The traffic and construction is a headache right now because they are expanding the roads and highways since the population has increased. Otherwise, lots to do, great place to live. You're also near Austin (4 hrs), SA (5 and a half), and Houston (6 hrs or so). Almost like it's multiple states within 1.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
FriedRicr (05-11-2014), wlwarfield (01-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Drives: 2011 STi & 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
We are opening up a new Costco store in N Ft Worth on May 9th & are looking to fill general entry level positions through out the warehouse. We are only seeking part time employment currently which is a guaranteed minimum of 24 hours per week (5 days a week) but you can get more hours based upon the needs of the business. One of the main things we are looking for is open availability. Starting pay for all positions is $11.50/hr. If anyone's interested throw an application online Costco.com & PM me.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi sedan
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
wlwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Zero90

Drives: "14 BRZ Limited - SWP
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Hello,

Name is Jose and I'm actually moving to Granbury, TX May 9th, so I'm looking for a full time job at moment, preferably near Fort Worth. Have some things lined up but want to have a secured job. I'm in the Marine Corps Reserves and have basic-intermediate knowledge on network and computer hardware. I have about 3 years of customer service, data entry and warehouse experience. I'm always open to learn new things.

Any job reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose
Zero90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
nlamon33

Just to keep this thread alive, how about a personal update!

Locked down an internship position at Ericsson in Plano. Official title: "Contract Execution Management Intern". Starting on May 19th and I'm pretty excited. Not exactly related to my mechanical engineering major, but the experience will be good and the people I talked to seem very nice. Any fellow forum members working at Ericsson?
The Following User Says Thank You to nlamon33 For This Useful Post:
MokSpeed (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlamon33 View Post
Just to keep this thread alive, how about a personal update!

Locked down an internship position at Ericsson in Plano. Official title: "Contract Execution Management Intern". Starting on May 19th and I'm pretty excited. Not exactly related to my mechanical engineering major, but the experience will be good and the people I talked to seem very nice. Any fellow forum members working at Ericsson?
Mechanical Engineering?! Keep in mind Toyota will be moving their corporate office to Plano within the next year or two. Just thought I'd share.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
nlamon33 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Mechanical Engineering?! Keep in mind Toyota will be moving their corporate office to Plano within the next year or two. Just thought I'd share.
Yeah, anyone looking to relocate in Texas - specifically the Plano/DFW area, be on the lookout for jobs. I don't think many people from Cali will be relocating, so Toyota will be looking to hire a lot!
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote