follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First accident in FR-S

Hey guys and gals,

Figured this was body related so I'd post in here. My dumb ass rear ended a pickup truck about a week ago, did nearly 10k in damage according to the adjuster and estimate. Good news is I slipped under the truck so the wheels and suspension seem totally fine, but the nose is all torn up. It's currently being repaired, here are the items that are being replaced due to the accident:

-Radiator
-Intake tract and MAF
-Hood and latch
-Front bumper, and left and right fenders
-Both headlights and assembly
-Front undertray
-All the misc clips/reflectors, badges on the nose
- They are also repainting about half the car

The shop doing the work has received rave reviews, and they have a specific smaller facility onsite that just handles sports cars, I went to look at the facility and other stablemates with my 86 are an RX-8, last-gen RX-7, MR2 and an RSX, so I feel like the car is in pretty good hands.

My question to the rest of you, is there anything in specific I should look out for after the repairs are complete, other than the normal fit/finish and checking for squeaks, rattles, idling issues, ect? Anything specific to ask the shop? I already spoke to the shop owner and they aren't using any aftermarket replacements, all parts and genuine Subaru/Toyoya. Work will take about two weeks, so I'll have ample time to chat with them, and they have been sending pics every couple days while it's being worked on. It's my first-ever accident (I'm 28), so I don't have much experience in the area. Thanks!
Attached Images

Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Brently
Grey Wind

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #0065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First of all: Happy you are okay, and sorry you are going through this.

To answer your question...you will definitely need a wheel alignment after all is fixed. Pressure from collision may have had an effect on your front suspension...you might not notice this until later. Did your airbags deploy?

So, my grandma Reynolds was always saying 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' I wish she was still alive, because I'd really like to ask her what she suggests for when life gives you Chlamydia.--Veronica Mars
Brently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Xinshadow

Good points- I should have mentioned they are doing an alignment anyway since the shop has a Hawkeye, but the wheels themselves look fine. Of course that's only visual, and I'm not a trained tech. I'll make a point to ask when next we talk.

Airbags didn't deploy, I only hit him doing maybe 30 mph, probably more like 25. Turns out an F150 doesn't give too much when a little steel and aluminum gnat hits it haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Xinshadow For This Useful Post:
microbionic (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
whiteout13FRS

Drives: 2013 White FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
get as much stuff aftermarket as you can. Since the prices on them is similar to the OEM stuff. I would get a vented hood, gt86 bumper, and bigger radiator. I made a mistake when I got rear ended and replaced the muffler with a OEM one when the price for it was over 500. I could of bought a aftermarket exhaust I am going to purchase in a few months for a few hundred more.
SBD turbo. Delicious tuning flex fuel. Kate oil cooling kit. Spencer crash beam. Perrin 3" Exhaust. Motiv pipes. Wilwood Front Big Brakes. Greddy Cold Air Intake. Stance Coilover kit. Spyder v2 tails. Sparcos driver seat. Race Creations duck bill cf trunk. 91/e85 tuned by Eric @ elite performance. All other installs by Neal @ the racers line.
Coming soon: track time
whiteout13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
TommyFive

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ-P, 2002 Focus LX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"Good news is I slipped under the truck..."

Yeahhhhh, that's not good news in an accident. A little faster and you'd be kissing bumper.
TommyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout13FRS View Post
get as much stuff aftermarket as you can. Since the prices on them is similar to the OEM stuff. I would get a vented hood, gt86 bumper, and bigger radiator. I made a mistake when I got rear ended and replaced the muffler with a OEM one when the price for it was over 500. I could of bought a aftermarket exhaust I am going to purchase in a few months for a few hundred more.
So how does that work? Are you required to get OEM or if you go aftermarket they base the price on the OEM and you are free to pick which parts you want?
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Inspect the car fully in broad daylight and from multiple angles. Don't leave with the car until you are satisfied with work done. Check for fitment issues with the hood and front bumper. Start the car and check for leaks before you leave the shop also...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Some insurance companies will either fix it, or give you a check to get it fixed. I'd take the check and buy some aftermarket parts. Might as well upgrade stuff

-Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
whiteout13FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaghost View Post
So how does that work? Are you required to get OEM or if you go aftermarket they base the price on the OEM and you are free to pick which parts you want?
depends how your insurance does it. are they writing a check to you or the shop. I got my car evaluated at one shop, saying how much the exact damages were. Insurance gave me that amount to repair it.
SBD turbo. Delicious tuning flex fuel. Kate oil cooling kit. Spencer crash beam. Perrin 3" Exhaust. Motiv pipes. Wilwood Front Big Brakes. Greddy Cold Air Intake. Stance Coilover kit. Spyder v2 tails. Sparcos driver seat. Race Creations duck bill cf trunk. 91/e85 tuned by Eric @ elite performance. All other installs by Neal @ the racers line.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Xinshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout13FRS View Post
depends how your insurance does it. are they writing a check to you or the shop. I got my car evaluated at one shop, saying how much the exact damages were. Insurance gave me that amount to repair it.
I have Geico, they are writing a check to the shop. Good news is they cant find the front undertray component stateside, so they ordered the full undertay from the JDM model. I was going to buy one eventually anyway, so that saved me like $400. Other than that, everything is being restored to OEM other than my Avo silicone inlet tube, which they are just replacing with another one from Avo. It was the only mod I have on the car so far, so it's nice they are replacing it.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips fellas, very helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to Xinshadow For This Useful Post:
Brently (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Brently
Grey Wind

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #0065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Happy everything is working out for you. It's a great feeling when you get over the initial shock and realize that it's all going to get sorted out! You'll be back on the road in no time!

So, my grandma Reynolds was always saying 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' I wish she was still alive, because I'd really like to ask her what she suggests for when life gives you Chlamydia.--Veronica Mars
Brently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
whiteout13FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinshadow View Post
I have Geico, they are writing a check to the shop. Good news is they cant find the front undertray component stateside, so they ordered the full undertay from the JDM model. I was going to buy one eventually anyway, so that saved me like $400. Other than that, everything is being restored to OEM other than my Avo silicone inlet tube, which they are just replacing with another one from Avo. It was the only mod I have on the car so far, so it's nice they are replacing it.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips fellas, very helpful!
That is good to know. JDM underpanels is something I am looking at. does your state give you a depreciation check? I am not sure if you have to be not at fault or not but I got paid 900 dollars for depreciation value of my FRS about 2 months after the accident when i got rear ended.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
kinda curious as to how the F150 held up....
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Xinshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
kinda curious as to how the F150 held up....
It just has a very small scratch on the bumper, cost $150 to fix.

Thanks for the tip Whiteout, not sure of IL does the depreciation thing but can't hurt to call and check.

Tags
accident, damage, repair