follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

View Poll Results: Is It Written Off
Yes, Write-Off 2 7.41%
No, They Will Fix It 17 62.96%
Not Sure 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Toadal

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got into an accident

some Fer' hit my front end and the back slid and hit the back of his truck, car goes in on the 19th to the insurance company.

Bought in June, has 3000 KMS

do you think it maybe written off?

estimates on claim damage??

Toadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Really depends on the insurance company. How does the front wheels feel? Any real impact there?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
I voted not sure because different insurers can operate quite differently from one another - certainly, one may estimate this coming in below the mark for full replacement, while another may total out, give you a new ride, repair your old one and resell at auction since this car is still so new and in demand.

My roommate is a production manager and one of the 3 owners of the body shop he runs. He loves the Twins and we've had many conversations about the design, body lines, construction and, god forbid, what would go in to various repairs on the FRS. Beyond the current tight supply of parts for the car (in your situation, hood, front/rear bumpers, fender, & headlight...possible door?), the biggest issue I see is the replacement of the rear unibody fender. Since the body lines of the car are so connected and flow from front to back, it's going to take a skilled shop to replace that area. The body line that swoops up from below and behind the door transitions in to top of the fender well and that's going to be extremely laborious to set correctly. In addition to all of the potential panel blending that will need to done...I can foresee probably 70% of the car needing to be repainted.

Most important thing...you don't mention anyone being seriously injured. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
WATCHMEHEAL

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX STI Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
They will fix it.
I got in a accident similar to yours but with only my fender was messed up and my bumer was scratched and slightly pushed down.

The repair costed about 1500 (I wont bore you with my story).
My bumper was fixed and refinished, hood was refinished, door was taken off and refinished and panel was new and painted.

fender cost $199.
the rest is just an estimate.
front bumper = 300-500 depending of other damages inside your car.
head lights = 300-400
rear side panel = 400 - 500
hood = 600 - 700 depending on other damages inside your car
rims = w/e that price is
tires?
front suspension check = 100 - ??? maybe damages??
rear bumper = 10-200 they will buff that out and refinish it.
headlight = w/e price that is, idk 300-600

now everything will be painted / refinished from the hood/front bumper, fender, door, rear panel, rear bumper. you door will be taken apart to paint the rear panel and painted seperately.

You will not get a new car but trust me, if you have have any issues (rust, chips, dents) tell that to your garage guy, they will fix it (initially you are throwing it in the bag along with the other stuff)
Ask them how much extra is it to paint the rest of your car, shit I wish I had asked that question when i dropped my car last week...it took them 4 days and I picked it up on Friday and my car looks like new.

So this fix will be around 3k-5k..pretty damn high I think...I am sure this is more than you pay for your car insurance..lmao but hey you paid for it.

As far as I noticed when I got in an accident in CT...well..I live in CT so the damn insurance made me wait 2 month and then give me a 50% (i was parked and a taxi hit me) (more than my 500 deduct). fuck that, i went with my insurance so they can get my monay back and got my car fixed wthin 2 weeks.

However if my accident was in CT, all I would do is go with my insurance (not pay any deduct) and get my car fix asap too. So good luck.

Also when you car is looked at, tell them you want every metal parts to be replaced and be sure to have them replace the front bumper and hood because I feel like they will say they can buff it out. As far as the rear bumper, it doesn't look bad so dont whine about that.

Now with that phat pay check...i would look into a carbon fiber hood...MAYBE a aftermarket bumper that isn't cheese and perhaps get carbon fiber.
Looik at your options here and maybe finder better price online or w/e
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37486

You will be fine breh..FYI find out how much your insurance will pay for a rental..if its $20 plus tax a day, tell them you want them to up it to $40 dollars a day NAOO!!! or w/e for the rest of the year.
Dont stress
WATCHMEHEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
WATCHMEHEAL

I hope my previous post helps you out.
Also if your insurance is trying to tell you to hit the other insurance, tell them fuck that. you will pay your deduct (hopefully its not high) and get that shit fixed.
My insurance guy didnt feel like helping me out...if I knew where this guy lived, I will put super glue on his door locks and put a bunch of rocks in his exhaust.
I am switching after I get my deduct back.

ps. What I am trying to say is your insurance is willing to accept and pay everything but they will pursuade YOU (your time and sweat) to go against the other insurance and from my previous experience...I will say fuck that shit, I pay you close to 3k a year to do this shit for me, you do that. Pay your deduct.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Wait...

Your user name is Toadal? Too ironic...

Sorry to hear abt your wreck & glad you're okay.
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
not even close to totaled. you would need to hit roughly $17k in damages in my state (MD) before we could write it as totaled estimating only at $22k blue book
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
rocket bunny kit time
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Toadal

Drives: White Scion FR-S
well i sure hope its written off. im always gonna know its been smashed, and if i ever sell or trade it i'll get alot less.
Toadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yikes. Sorry dude that's horrible. If you do have it fixed make sure to really research the paint shop you use. Don't use scions one. Whiteout/satin white pearl is insanely hard to match correctly especially on two different surfaces (metal and plastic). Good luck with everything
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by executivekoala View Post
rocket bunny kit time
+1
Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Uatu13

Drives: car
Wow, good luck OP.

I just got my whiteout back from the shop yesterday. They had to replace my rear bumper because a co-worker backed into me. The bill was just a hair over $800 total. I paid $500. I hope they get my money back from the lying sack of, well you know.

As far as you getting less for it later if it's just fixed, you might want to look into filing a Diminished Value claim with the other parties insurance. You can call your Ins. rep and ask about it. Just keep in mind this has to be filed with the other person's Ins.

Good to hear nobody was hurt!
Uatu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
WATCHMEHEAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uatu13 View Post
Wow, good luck OP.

I just got my whiteout back from the shop yesterday. They had to replace my rear bumper because a co-worker backed into me. The bill was just a hair over $800 total. I paid $500. I hope they get my money back from the lying sack of, well you know.

As far as you getting less for it later if it's just fixed, you might want to look into filing a Diminished Value claim with the other parties insurance. You can call your Ins. rep and ask about it. Just keep in mind this has to be filed with the other person's Ins.

Good to hear nobody was hurt!
A co worker? dude...that's something. contact HR when its all done about this ***
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
j2digit

Drives: 2000 Integra LS, 2013 FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
it doesn't look all that bad. Upgrade time for other mods, u know - maybe a kit, or some new set of wheels and lowering springs.

"Power is nothing without Control"

j2digit is offline   Reply With Quote