follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Antonovich

Drives: '13 BRZ, 04 rust bucket Suburban
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice on wheel repair then Plasti Dip

I have a set of black Enkei TS10's. I have curb rash on one of the rims, and small but noticeable gouges on 2 other rims (shitty NYC roads). Sorry no pics, but the damage is not bad. The wheels are not bent. What I'm thinking of doing is cleaning the wheels properly, sanding the gouges, using bondo filler on the curb rash and gouges, sanding it again, cleaning all the wheels again, and lastly Plasti Dipping them 4 coats of standard black + 4 coats of turquoise silver (I'm bored of the black wheels).

I've seen posts where people had stock rims and used a primer after the bondo / sanding, but I don't even know where to start with a primer. Which one? Would it really make a difference when I'm gonna PlastiDip the wheels anyway?

So, any advice?
Antonovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonovich View Post
I have a set of black Enkei TS10's. I have curb rash on one of the rims, and small but noticeable gouges on 2 other rims (shitty NYC roads). Sorry no pics, but the damage is not bad. The wheels are not bent. What I'm thinking of doing is cleaning the wheels properly, sanding the gouges, using bondo filler on the curb rash and gouges, sanding it again, cleaning all the wheels again, and lastly Plasti Dipping them 4 coats of standard black + 4 coats of turquoise silver (I'm bored of the black wheels).

I've seen posts where people had stock rims and used a primer after the bondo / sanding, but I don't even know where to start with a primer. Which one? Would it really make a difference when I'm gonna PlastiDip the wheels anyway?

So, any advice?
You can just keep applying plastidip until it fills the gap if it’s not too bad.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Or you can try epoxy, sand then plasti dip
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Antonovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Or you can try epoxy, sand then plasti dip
I think bondo would be better for what I'm trying to do. Never worked with either but it seems that bondo would be easier to work with. At least easier to shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You can just keep applying plastidip until it fills the gap if it’s not too bad.
That might work on the curb rash but the gouges are a bit deeper.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Make sure you get a primer close to the color you want that will adhere to metal. Do not get some primer+whatever, it's hogwash. Straight up primer. Do 2 thin THIN LAYERS. Then do 6-8 thin thin layers of plastidip. So thin it takes the first 6 layers to really do much. After you a nice base, make your last two coats pretty thick for the best plastidip finish you'll ever see.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tristor (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Antonovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Make sure you get a primer close to the color you want that will adhere to metal. Do not get some primer+whatever, it's hogwash. Straight up primer. Do 2 thin THIN LAYERS. Then do 6-8 thin thin layers of plastidip. So thin it takes the first 6 layers to really do much. After you a nice base, make your last two coats pretty thick for the best plastidip finish you'll ever see.
As I've said before, I don't even know where to start with a primer. Does it have to be the same color as the paint color? Do I even need it if I'm gonna plastidip the wheels anyway?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonovich View Post
As I've said before, I don't even know where to start with a primer. Does it have to be the same color as the paint color? Do I even need it if I'm gonna plastidip the wheels anyway?
It can be any color, you're going to completely cover it. It's purpose, literally, is to give the paint something to stick to. Like velcro on a microscopic level. If you're painting a dark color, keep the primer darker. Doesn't need to be black, a dark Grey is a great choice. With any paint, plastidip or not, a couple primer layers are a low cost, low effort investment that ensures better results
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Antonovich (06-18-2018), Tristor (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd get proper filler for metal, not bondo, on wheels. Sure bondo is easier to shape, but if the metal was gouged previously the bondo will be damaged way more easily.