follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
Hadalet

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Help wiring camera to turn signal

I've mounted a camera above my license plate, but turned it to the right to cover the blind spot (I've cut too many people off!). I have a momentary switch mounted to the e-brake that triggers the reverse signal on an aftermarket head unit so I can see the blind spot when I'm changing lanes. What I'd like to do is tap a line from the right turn signal so that it automatically comes on when I signal right . I thought all I had to do was tap the line after the stalk, but before the flasher (which was easy enough to do). The problem is, there's a constant signal being sent from the stalk to the flasher that TURNS OFF whenever you signal left or right! So basically the flasher needs to see 0v to work, and stereo needs any voltage coming in to trigger the camera to work. I need a work around. Something that can send a signal to the stereo when it STOPS receiving one from the stalk.
What I'm hoping is that there's some obvious trick or fix that everyone but me has known since the age of ten. I hope someone comes on and says something like "all you had to do was run ____ to the _______ and the flux capacitor would have taken care of the rest dumbass!". But seriously, any help is hugely appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Hadalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i believe this is what you're looking for:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=63783.0
Old 11-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If memory serves, it's less about the flasher signal turning off, but more that the flasher works off ground signals and has constant 12v input. Am I missing something, or is this as simple as using a relay?

+12v on the 30, camera trigger on the 87, and the resistor 85/86 connectors to +12v and the right turn signal line, respectively.

That way, when the turn stalk provides the ground signal to the flasher, the relay activates and puts 12v to your trigger wire.

sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Hadalet (11-01-2020), soundman98 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
Hadalet

Drives: Argento FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
If memory serves, it's less about the flasher signal turning off, but more that the flasher works off ground signals and has constant 12v input. Am I missing something, or is this as simple as using a relay?

+12v on the 30, camera trigger on the 87, and the resistor 85/86 connectors to +12v and the right turn signal line, respectively.

That way, when the turn stalk provides the ground signal to the flasher, the relay activates and puts 12v to your trigger wire.

^genius

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Hadalet is offline   Reply With Quote