follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #29
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarropOz View Post
They are the same car.

we shaved the lettering at some point on the race car so people could read the "Suprcharged" text from a distance.... Bit of a sales pitch.
Hi Andrew,

Is there a reason you guys went for just the 2.5inch cat back when you ran the TVS1320 on the 86 with stock internals. Would you say that is the most important exhaust mod to make if I was going to make any?

Thanks.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
What whp would you be happy taking it up to with the stock internals? I'm presuming you will be as high as 270-280 on e85, even with their stock pulley.

Interesting about the e85 - shame they can't use something that doesn't need fertiliser and is there anyway - like grass!

Id imagine around the same power ad the edelbrock owners with full exhaust. It shouldn't be too difficult to maintain that.
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM   #31
HarropOz

Drives: Harrop TVS1320 Supercharged 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Hi Andrew,

Is there a reason you guys went for just the 2.5inch cat back when you ran the TVS1320 on the 86 with stock internals. Would you say that is the most important exhaust mod to make if I was going to make any?

Thanks.
Not at All... The Cat back of all the performance mods we did proved to be the least effective in building HP. However when coupled with a good set of Headers it does help things move along.

The reason we mention it on our dyno sheet is that we are all about 100% transparency. Thats what the car had on it when we bolted the SC kit on so we need to mention it. A Cat back is certainly not a huge performance mod.

So to answer your question, i think the most important exhaust mod is a good quality set of headers. We use and recommend the CS400 Ace Headers.
HarropOz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-01-2016), CxG (09-01-2017), funwheeldrive (08-02-2016), kuczynskika (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #32
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarropOz View Post
Not at All... The Cat back of all the performance mods we did proved to be the least effective in building HP. However when coupled with a good set of Headers it does help things move along.

The reason we mention it on our dyno sheet is that we are all about 100% transparency. Thats what the car had on it when we bolted the SC kit on so we need to mention it. A Cat back is certainly not a huge performance mod.

So to answer your question, i think the most important exhaust mod is a good quality set of headers. We use and recommend the CS400 Ace Headers.
Why a quality set of headers? Just curious what is in a quality header? Decatted stock headers should work fine for most who want to make the biggest bang for the buck.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #33
Irace86
Banned

Garage
Just saying.

[ame="http://youtu.be/azPKIjxmmdU"]http://youtu.be/azPKIjxmmdU[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
sato (04-30-2017)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
E85

To educate a few here on E85 and not hoping to hijack..

E85 from corn is typically from a type of corn or can be from a process that the cows wont eat(yes cows eat corn/grain on large commercial farms) and not for human consumption. Yes you have to spend time making it and gathering it will equipment...like everything else. 2nd, the best ethanol producer is cattails. Yup no joke.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (08-02-2016), kuczynskika (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #35
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Just saying.

This has been posted before.

I have called it out before.

I have illustrated it mathematically before.

That engine / example is in no way comparable to our cars.

First, it's running fixed AFR, fixed ignition timing, and fixed cam timing.

Second, it's a large displacement, 2 valve engine on which VE peaks below 90%.

In other words, that is not comparable to our engine at all.

I'll bet anyone double or nothing the cost of a header and my dyno time, that I can bust that myth on a dyno on this engine, on this car.

I'll bet anyone triple or nothing that I can cut the power in half on a motorcycle engine with the same size dents. (has to be the right motorcycle engine. I'm sure you could practically duplicate their results with a Harley motor, but I digress.)

Your point about stock decatted headers is valid though.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
blues15dp (08-01-2017), funwheeldrive (08-02-2016), sato (04-30-2017)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #36
Irace86
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
This has been posted before.

I have called it out before.

I have illustrated it mathematically before.

That engine / example is in no way comparable to our cars.

First, it's running fixed AFR, fixed ignition timing, and fixed cam timing.

Second, it's a large displacement, 2 valve engine on which VE peaks below 90%.

In other words, that is not comparable to our engine at all.

I'll bet anyone double or nothing the cost of a header and my dyno time, that I can bust that myth on a dyno on this engine, on this car.

I'll bet anyone triple or nothing that I can cut the power in half on a motorcycle engine with the same size dents. (has to be the right motorcycle engine. I'm sure you could practically duplicate their results with a Harley motor, but I digress.)

Your point about stock decatted headers is valid though.

Hopefully this won't start a long debate; I just wanted to acknowledge that there may be little argument going with a top quality (i.e. $$$) header when really the major restriction is the cat. Most headers eliminate the cat or have a high flow cat. As a Cali resident, there are no legal options for headers, and the best (low profile) illegal option would be a decatted stock header. Regardless, I doubt anyone could really feel the difference between a decatted stock header and the highest end header. Most changes will come from eliminating the cat and tuning out the stock dip.

I have a few arguments for your video critique and motorcycle comments, but I don't think they are necessary, and I'd rather not go off-topic too much. My point is above.
blues15dp (08-01-2017)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #37
varora

Drives: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the harrop supercharger have a lubrication system?
varora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Hopefully this won't start a long debate; I just wanted to acknowledge that there may be little argument going with a top quality (i.e. $$$) header when really the major restriction is the cat. Most headers eliminate the cat or have a high flow cat. As a Cali resident, there are no legal options for headers, and the best (low profile) illegal option would be a decatted stock header. Regardless, I doubt anyone could really feel the difference between a decatted stock header and the highest end header. Most changes will come from eliminating the cat and tuning out the stock dip.

I have a few arguments for your video critique and motorcycle comments, but I don't think they are necessary, and I'd rather not go off-topic too much. My point is above.
That was a sensible, well-justified response. Won't get any complaints from me. Yes, the cat is the most significant restriction. With proper tuning, the difference will not be appreciable by the average driver. I think with a proper blind test... (deaf test, actually.) haha... Many tuners would be unable to distinguish. Not counting the clowns, of course.

Not counting the hero runs, I'm certain (from memory) the dyno numbers are very close together. It's been done here before - gutting the cat, that is.

That all said, the area under the curve for a UEL vs EL header is distinctly different, and I think many experienced drivers could distinguish those in a deaf acceleration test, if they were paying close attention. But that's making significant changes to the layout of the header.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #39
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by varora View Post
Does the harrop supercharger have a lubrication system?
Yes it does. All TVS systems have an internal lubrication system that is good for some 100,000 miles I believe? See the technical video on the first page for more details.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #40
Irace86
Banned

Garage
The Edelbrock video states the eforce supercharger has an integrated valve that bypasses the charger at low loads like on the highway so there is no parasitic loses to gas mileage. Is this common on most superchargers? If not, is it part of the Harrop kit? Gas mileage is not a big deal for me because my commute is just a few miles a day but some may care for this feature, and I'd like to know.
djwishbone (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #41
Vulcan

Drives: GTS86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have had the Harrop S/C fitted by Harrop for only a week now, so i can only comment on initial impressions.
As shown in the videos it almost looks OEM N/A if it wasnt for the "Supercharged" lettering on the top of the unit, at least to those not knowing what to look for.
In car there is zero whine, its completely stealth which avoids any unwanted attention which i am happy about.

I went for the 90mm pulley (95mm was std), which i was told provides 10psi at 7000rpm approx.
According to the dyno sheet provided i'm getting 280nm torque at 5000rpm through to 5750rpm and just under 180kw at 6750.

For me, i am shifting at around 6000rpm which feels like its sweet spot, at least for traffic light take offs and general road fun.

I have an auto trans with an Invidia Q300 catback and 45000klm of the clock, no other power train mods.
I am lucky enough to live not far from the main Harrop plant so the decision to go with them was easy. As far as a company to deal with, i cant praise them highly enough, very professional and happy to answer my most basic questions. They even contacted me a few days after install to make sure i was happy with everything.
Mileage seems to have suffered a little but that may just be a result of my now extremely heavy right foot.
I have discovered that torque is a drug and i'm now an addict, so already considering the E85 upgrade.
Cheers
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-26-2019)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #42
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I have had the Harrop S/C fitted by Harrop for only a week now, so i can only comment on initial impressions.
As shown in the videos it almost looks OEM N/A if it wasnt for the "Supercharged" lettering on the top of the unit, at least to those not knowing what to look for.
In car there is zero whine, its completely stealth which avoids any unwanted attention which i am happy about.

I went for the 90mm pulley (95mm was std), which i was told provides 10psi at 7000rpm approx.
According to the dyno sheet provided i'm getting 280nm torque at 5000rpm through to 5750rpm and just under 180kw at 6750.

For me, i am shifting at around 6000rpm which feels like its sweet spot, at least for traffic light take offs and general road fun.

I have an auto trans with an Invidia Q300 catback and 45000klm of the clock, no other power train mods.
I am lucky enough to live not far from the main Harrop plant so the decision to go with them was easy. As far as a company to deal with, i cant praise them highly enough, very professional and happy to answer my most basic questions. They even contacted me a few days after install to make sure i was happy with everything.
Mileage seems to have suffered a little but that may just be a result of my now extremely heavy right foot.
I have discovered that torque is a drug and i'm now an addict, so already considering the E85 upgrade.
Cheers
Good to hear you're enjoying your kit! Can't wait to get mine installed. I will add you to the owners list.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote