follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #547
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
but that won't come with everything I would like from a Tesla,
The what the what?

For my part, wouldn't want anything in a Tesla but the electric motor.
All the rest is extraneous bogosity.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:44 PM   #548
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
The what the what?

For my part, wouldn't want anything in a Tesla but the electric motor.
All the rest is extraneous bogosity.
Charging network, app (no key necessary and features), efficiency, power, battery density, updates, quality UI, construction methods, light weighting, cost, steering wheel feel (it is perfect thickness and size IMO), Autopilot, Sentry Mode, cameras, etc.

The new Model 3 has ventilated seats, among other things, which I'm really down for that.

If Tesla came out tomorrow with a baby Model 3 Highland in basic looks, SWB, two door sports car, size of the 86, hardtop (no glass), RWD only, 225-300 miles of range, I wouldn't think twice. If it had CATL's new LFP battery then take my money.

At my age (42) and considering the future, and for what I've done for the last twenty 25 years modifying cars, and where I am at in wanting to buy a house and start some home projects, I'm ready to step away from money pit that is cars. If I could buy something that is quick, small form factor, nimble in the turns, connected in steering and inputs to the throttle, I would be fine. I'm not going to be modifying an EVs engine, so cosmetics only, which sounds like a needed break from engine swaps and forced induction over the last 25 years. If I bought a GR86 or Miata or Cayman, I'm just going to be tempted. Not an EV.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:31 AM   #549
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Charging network, app (no key necessary and features), efficiency, power, battery density, updates, quality UI, construction methods, light weighting, cost, steering wheel feel (it is perfect thickness and size IMO), Autopilot, Sentry Mode, cameras, etc.

The new Model 3 has ventilated seats, among other things, which I'm really down for that.

If Tesla came out tomorrow with a baby Model 3 Highland in basic looks, SWB, two door sports car, size of the 86, hardtop (no glass), RWD only, 225-300 miles of range, I wouldn't think twice. If it had CATL's new LFP battery then take my money.

At my age (42) and considering the future, and for what I've done for the last twenty 25 years modifying cars, and where I am at in wanting to buy a house and start some home projects, I'm ready to step away from money pit that is cars. If I could buy something that is quick, small form factor, nimble in the turns, connected in steering and inputs to the throttle, I would be fine. I'm not going to be modifying an EVs engine, so cosmetics only, which sounds like a needed break from engine swaps and forced induction over the last 25 years. If I bought a GR86 or Miata or Cayman, I'm just going to be tempted. Not an EV.
A SR M3 highland is very close to that, and probably as close as you'll get.

The 2-door coupe is dead, and glass roof vs. non-glass roof is a bit of a secondary question.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #550
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@Irace86.2.0 good list. That said, I really don't get the obsession (consumer wide) with both phone-as-key and a glass roof. I want neither but you see a lot of the "I won't buy a car without it" mentality.

I'm OK with keyless entry, but don't won't it tied to my phone. I've heard all the "reasons" but none of them sway me.

As far as a glass roof, I think it's great as an option, but it shouldn't be the only option. Some of us like a solid roof.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-18-2023), soundman98 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #551
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Requiring a car that blows smoke up the ass baffles me entirely.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:18 PM   #552
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@Irace86.2.0 good list. That said, I really don't get the obsession (consumer wide) with both phone-as-key and a glass roof. I want neither but you see a lot of the "I won't buy a car without it" mentality.

I'm OK with keyless entry, but don't won't it tied to my phone. I've heard all the "reasons" but none of them sway me.

As far as a glass roof, I think it's great as an option, but it shouldn't be the only option. Some of us like a solid roof.
To be honest i dont really want anything to do with connectivity in my car.
Just give me apple carplay and/or OEM Nav and bluetooth. Remote start maybe (since its convenient in the cold....except for when someone can just hop in your car and drive away.....). apps are just bullshit. Why in gods name does someone need facebook or games on their damn car? And dont get me started on apps for charging crap. The moment you rely on internet for anything, you'll realize how fubared you are if the internet connection doesnt work or is spotty. I remember going to a McDonalds in a newish community and my phone connectivity wasn't working so well...
I was trying to pull up my app to get the app deal and guess what...without it loading due to failed internet it just took way longer for me to try to get this deal than just say fuck it and punch in the meal order at the kiosk without the deal.

Glass roof is actually nice to have, gets some light in and you can use the tilt function for venting (if its a moonroof and not fixed glass). theres no buffetting concerns with the moonroof tilt glass vs side windows
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #553
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
To be honest i dont really want anything to do with connectivity in my car.
Just give me apple carplay and/or OEM Nav and bluetooth. Remote start maybe (since its convenient in the cold....except for when someone can just hop in your car and drive away.....). apps are just bullshit. Why in gods name does someone need facebook or games on their damn car? And dont get me started on apps for charging crap. The moment you rely on internet for anything, you'll realize how fubared you are if the internet connection doesnt work or is spotty. I remember going to a McDonalds in a newish community and my phone connectivity wasn't working so well...
I was trying to pull up my app to get the app deal and guess what...without it loading due to failed internet it just took way longer for me to try to get this deal than just say fuck it and punch in the meal order at the kiosk without the deal.

Glass roof is actually nice to have, gets some light in and you can use the tilt function for venting (if its a moonroof and not fixed glass). theres no buffetting concerns with the moonroof tilt glass vs side windows
Pretty sure using Carplay is more than enough to allow loads of data being collected on your driving habits, consuming habits, etc. which one might be able to extrapolate loads of info out of.

Driving to the liquor store at midnight? Well someone must have had a rough week, why not advertise a good steak joint on Waze tomorrow after work, etc.

Come to think of it, just having your smartphone in your pocket while driving does this too...

Last edited by alex87f; 09-18-2023 at 03:53 PM.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #554
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Glass roof is actually nice to have, gets some light in and you can use the tilt function for venting (if its a moonroof and not fixed glass).
I don't do moon/sun roofs either. If I want that I'll buy a convertible (which we do own and use). The moonroof in my 2004 Suburban has been open twice, once because my kids asked me to, for about 3 hours, and once in a car wash where the shade had been pulled closed but the sunroof was cracked open by one of the kids playing in the car.

As far as glass roofs, there are reports of spontaneous breakage due to improper installation at the factory, imperfections in the glass, or even extreme temp changes (like backing out of a heated garage into subzero temperatures).

My main complaint though is I don't need the damn sun on my bald head. Even covered, you can feel the heat coming through it (unless maybe you do some type of ceramic coating on them). Also, I don't want to have to be constantly cleaning the glass, as spots on it would drive me nuts.

But, all that said, it's a personal choice. I just want it to be an option. Also, it didn't stop me from putting in a LYRIQ order (glass roof, no option for slick roof).

Old 09-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #555
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
And dont get me started on apps for charging crap. The moment you rely on internet for anything, you'll realize how fubared you are if the internet connection doesnt work or is spotty.
Google Automotive (the built-in version of Android for cars, not the Google Auto screen projection, for those not in the know) allows you to download offline maps before a trip, and in a particular zone at all times. The integration with the map and charging is a big benefit, allowing the battery to precondition, etc.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:21 PM   #556
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
A SR M3 highland is very close to that, and probably as close as you'll get.

The 2-door coupe is dead, and glass roof vs. non-glass roof is a bit of a secondary question.
Which is why I am considering it. It is the dimensions, looks, seating position and weight that makes it less appealing. If the car weighed exactly the same and had the same driving dynamics and weight distribution, but was three feet wider all around, I wouldn't want it. I don't want to be feeling like I am driving a boat (see image below). The 991 is lighter while being larger than the 997, yet it gets points off for just growing in dimensions (common complaint).

For me, I could drive a midsized sedan, and I tried out a GLI, BMW, etc, but eventually, I just felt like I was high off the ground and driving a big boat. I went back to the 86 and bought that...my wife didn't have to work hard to talk me into it, when I was thinking I should be reasonable by getting a sports sedan over a sports car.

Shorter wheelbase, lower profile, sitting in it and not on it, cut the extra weight of the glass roof and rear doors, walla.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:26 PM   #557
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Same with a sunroof or targa. I sold my MKIV targa for a hardtop. I sealed permanently-shut the leaking sunroof on my niece's PT Cruiser. My wife and I rarely open the panoramic roof on our Q5. It is overrated, IMO.

The phone as a key option is because I fall into the EDC minimalist, so removing the key fob from my life would be great for my keychain; I'd be down to two house keys and an EDC multitool that is in the shape of a key. The Tesla also comes with a card I can slide into my wallet, so either way, no fobs.
Dadhawk (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #558
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No doubt Tesla is doing some great things in manufacturing and safety. My biggest problem is they don't make a single model I would drive. If they did, I would likely already own one.
It's difficult for me to imagine that had I gone for a Tesla Model Y, it would have been both the most expensive AND the most common car I have ever owned.

The Volvo has cast alloy suspension that I can see. In our climate here, I'd bet it will hold up a lot better than the stamped components most companies use.
A big glass roof is nice when it has a semi-opaque rolling sunshade that even will close itself automatically in preparation for a hot day ahead (from Google weather reporting).
I'm also digging Android Auto. There are new apps coming up all the time, mostly useless but at least it's something to play with when I'm waiting to pick up my daughter from work. In fact adding that one feature is probably what got me to buy Volvo. I'm an Android user for many years.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #559
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The Volvo has cast alloy suspension that I can see. In our climate here, I'd bet it will hold up a lot better than the stamped components most companies use.
Tesla run some cast suspension components too. There has been a lot of noise of them cracking lately.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:32 AM   #560
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm debating on selling my k24 turbo swapped BRZ for a Model 3 Highland, but I might wait until after we buy a house in the next year or so, and I'm reluctant because what I really would want is an electric Miata, Cayman or 86 sized sports car, but it just doesn't exist yet. How long do I have to wait? The next Cayman is electric, but will be too expense new for what I would send on a car. The next Miata is likely electric, but that won't come with everything I would like from a Tesla, but it could work. It is the most likely option. Will Toyota make a MR electric sports car? Maybe, but I doubt it is a priority for them. The 86 will likely have longer before it makes a switch. The Roadster is far into the future and just too expensive, so yeah, I'm in a similar boat as you.
I like my model 3 gt86 driveway keep both if you can As for the cyber truck itself well it's not for me lol.
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autoracer86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-20-2023)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers