follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #155
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
It's not illegal to add superchargers or turbos. They just have to be engineered and certified (including a modification plate) to be legal, that's all. It's only backyard/'do-it-yourself' ones that are not certified by an engineer that are illegal. But of course, doing it properly and getting it engineered costs a fortune, which is why so many people do it on the cheap (i.e. illegal).
Yeah, which is what I said. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
We have the same laws in Australia regarding modification - removal of a cat is illegal, adding superchargers and turbos are illegal, but its not heavily enforced, and so long as you remain emissions and noise compliant you can get a legal stamp for it if the parts are certified with regulations.

Last edited by Blighty; 08-18-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #156
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
GR86 first drive reviews thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Interesting that in that video, the rear suspension shot shows the brz style body-mounted sway bar, not the subframe-mounted variation we've seen from Japanese presentations.

That’s really strange. Is Toyota reverting this change or are these preproduction versions that different from final spec?

Seems a bit misleading if they’re planning to change it still, since the sway bar mounting and subframe bushings determine the toe out on compression that they wanted to create, to mimic the Supra suspension behaviour. That’s been pretty controversial on the Supra.

GR86:

GR86 at us press event:

BRZ:

Edit: Just had a thought. The BRZ seems to be significantly ahead of the Toyota in the release schedule, The BRZ must be finalized by now. Could these be early production BRZs that were modified to match the toyota spec and cosmetics *but not 100%*? Some parts like the new subframe may not be ready, so the BRZ version was used. Do any of the videos from yesterday show the front knuckle? I haven’t seen any.

Edit2: this could explain the absence of a Neptune car at the event too.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 08-18-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-18-2021), dragoontwo (08-18-2021), Pete (08-18-2021), timurrrr (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #157
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Interesting that in that video, the rear suspension shot shows the brz style body-mounted sway bar, not the subframe-mounted variation we've seen from Japanese presentations.
Thats so freaking weird.

Are things still changing?
Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #158
PrayForRain

Drives: tbd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
As it happens, I’ll be driving the new BRZ in a few weeks, and I’m especially curious if some of the changes that Toyota’s engineers made to the suspension components and electric power steering will leave the Subaru feeling a bit lifeless by comparison. One representative told me the stories of CEO Akio Toyoda being underwhelmed by the steering feel of the new car were in fact true, and those tweaks were made at the last minute in response to the boss’ criticism.
https://jalopnik.com/2022-toyota-gr-...ive-1847478881
PrayForRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #159
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not sure theres another car as responsible for so much clickbait bullshit.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #160
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
That’s really strange. Is Toyota reverting this change or are these preproduction versions that different from final spec?

Edit: Just had a thought. The BRZ seems to be significantly ahead of the Toyota in the release schedule, The BRZ must be finalized by now. Could these be early production BRZs that were modified to match the Toyota spec and cosmetics *but not 100%*? Do any of the videos from yesterday show the front knuckle? I haven’t seen any.

While they are pre-prod, it would be a little scandalous not be upfront about how the cars are actually not currently configured the same as the cars tested in japan just recently, if they do intend to make that change.

If its a new change since then, then its understandable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-18-2021), Yoshoobaroo (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #161
Lantanafrs2

As of right now, the savage geese have 147k views in one day. Shows you just how important this car is to the market whether you like it or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #162
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Of course this is an enthusiast's forum so we're all feverish with passion about the new BRZ/86, but it's great to see such interest and excitement over a new sports car. It's a dying segment and these may be the last days for sports cars in general, as we trudge forward into the soulless, bland, anodyne electric car and autonomous dystopian future.

We're very lucky that both the BRZ/86, and the new Nissan Z, are being introduced. It might be 'last call' for these kinds of cars. Let's enjoy them while they're here. Once they're gone, they won't be back.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #163
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I just saw that the fuel mileage rating for the new car is 20/27 mpg? Really???

Few people will buy the car based on how economical it is, but that seems pretty poor for the displacement and power output of the engine, and the weight of the car. It's about 5-6 mpg less than the outgoing model. Why so much less?
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-19-2021), Dadhawk (08-18-2021), Spuds (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #164
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I wonder what Toyota would charge if they made a higher performance special edition with reliable FI, some really serious coilovers such as Ohlins, upgraded brakes and exhaust system.
If the number would be like a Supra, it reinforces the value of my gen 1 such that I'd be more inclined to keep it as long as it drives and put it in a barn somewhere if necessary eventually. In the real world a car with $50K + invested including modification is worth the price of a stock one and not really worth selling to get a much lower performing (but more refined) newer version. As much as I appreciate all the changes made in the gen 2, I could only consider one as a daily and wouldn't let my gen 1 go in order to buy one.
My STI is far more practical as a daily for me so this time I am a bystander, not the guy ordering the day they go on sale. I agree with others that the new model has enough upgrades that it really needs minimal to any modification.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #165
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post

Few people will buy the car based on how economical it is, but that seems pretty poor for the displacement and power output of the engine, and the weight of the car. It's about 5-6 mpg less than the outgoing model. Why so much less?
Yeah I found this odd too, but I have a hard time believing it as well. Besides, a car like this can have some pretty wide ranges of fuel economy.
There were plenty people on this forum who claimed 22-24mpg on their gen1's. I, on the other hand got around 32, with plenty of highway driving and a good bit of fun on the local roads.
Though we'll see, I'm sure the drop in mpg's would only be 1-3 for my type of driving on the new car.
Also as a side note, for a little bit now, I've been running header + flex E85. I've gone from an average of around 32 down to about 27. This is difficult to compare of course, because I have flex and vary the amount of ethanol I run constantly. But much of my time I'm running above E50 and everyone is well aware that ethanol uses far more fuel, so I feel pretty confident the new gen will do fine and above the estimated numbers.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #166
Lantanafrs2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post

Wait til you run e85.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #167
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I wonder what Toyota would charge if they made a higher performance special edition with reliable FI, some really serious coilovers such as Ohlins, upgraded brakes and exhaust system.

Well since the GRMN 86 was ~$54000..lol
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #168
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post

Seems a bit misleading if they’re planning to change it still, since the sway bar mounting and subframe bushings determine the toe out on compression that they wanted to create, to mimic the Supra suspension behaviour. That’s been pretty controversial on the Supra.

GR86:

GR86 at us press event:

BRZ:

Edit: Just had a thought. The BRZ seems to be significantly ahead of the Toyota in the release schedule, The BRZ must be finalized by now. Could these be early production BRZs that were modified to match the toyota spec and cosmetics *but not 100%*? Do any of the videos from yesterday show the front knuckle? I haven’t seen any.

Toe change will be done with control arm bushings, not subframe mounting and swaybar. since the final subframe has extra tabs on it, it's safe to assume this is an off the line brz subframe
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote