follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2023, 08:31 AM   #1
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AC clutch engages disengages - HELP! i'm so sad

Well this is what happened, if anyone can help will be more than thankful.

My FT86 (2013), has been parked in my garage for a long time like about 8 years. I went just to start my car every week, and sometimes drove it just to refuel.

Now yesterday like I always do,started it, I just leave it 15 minutes with revs around 2000rpm. turned on the AC ( it has manual ac) , and I started hearing a click noise, then again.. and I started getting nervious and sad. I opened the hood and I could clearly see the AC clutch stopping and starting again not instantaneous but every 40 seconds.
Then saw what I guess is the accesories belt passing over the clutch. I thought this will go away but it kept doing it. Not at low revs. Something else I noticed when this happened, when I was accelerating around 2000rpm, and it clicked I heared the fan came on and then stopped, and revs falled a bit. I checked car temp on the dashboard and was fine.

I own my car for around 10 years and never changed the AC refrigerant or recharge it . Could this be caused by low gas pressure?. I went on checking videos and reading on the forum . Could it be the clutch relay going bad? My car can be classified almost like out of the dealer, I it's got 2000 km at max. Hope you guys can help me calm down , as I went really sad yesterday.

Blessings to everyone
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dssence For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post
Well this is what happened, if anyone can help will be more than thankful.

My FT86 (2013), has been parked in my garage for a long time like about 8 years. I went just to start my car every week, and sometimes drove it just to refuel.

Now yesterday like I always do,started it, I just leave it 15 minutes with revs around 2000rpm. turned on the AC ( it has manual ac) , and I started hearing a click noise, then again.. and I started getting nervious and sad. I opened the hood and I could clearly see the AC clutch stopping and starting again not instantaneous but every 40 seconds.
Then saw what I guess is the accesories belt passing over the clutch. I thought this will go away but it kept doing it. Not at low revs. Something else I noticed when this happened, when I was accelerating around 2000rpm, and it clicked I heared the fan came on and then stopped, and revs falled a bit. I checked car temp on the dashboard and was fine.

I own my car for around 10 years and never changed the AC refrigerant or recharge it . Could this be caused by low gas pressure?. I went on checking videos and reading on the forum . Could it be the clutch relay going bad? My car can be classified almost like out of the dealer, I it's got 2000 km at max. Hope you guys can help me calm down , as I went really sad yesterday.

Blessings to everyone
I'd suggest you take it into a shop and have the AC checked.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
dssence (03-08-2023), Teseo (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:39 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Clutch cycling can be normal behavior. If the charge is low it could be hitting the low pressure switch and turning off the compressor. If the clutch is engaging and disengaging probably not a clutch issue. Without gauges to watch the pressure everything is just a guess.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
dssence (03-08-2023), Opie (03-07-2023), strat61caster (03-09-2023), Tcoat (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Clutch cycling can be normal behavior. If the charge is low it could be hitting the low pressure switch and turning off the compressor. If the clutch is engaging and disengaging probably not a clutch issue. Without gauges to watch the pressure everything is just a guess.
This, it sounds perfectly normal to me.
dssence (03-08-2023), Tcoat (03-07-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post

Thanks by some reason I wasn't notified by email I got a response. So that's what I needed to know. There aren't many variables. I did talk with someoen which said it was a faulty relay, by the way these are micro relays. I will swap the one of the horn and see if I have the same behavour. But it not it could be it needs more coolant. What seems strange to me I bought this car on 2013 , how could the coolant go away. But yes I've read about low pressure switch. Anyways.. it's not that bad, I thought it could be worse and a nightmare. Thanks for helping.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #6
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
This, it sounds perfectly normal to me.

Not that normal cause it keeps engaging and disengaging , like every 30 seconds and again .. this wasn't happening before. Like I said I'm, not moving this car for along time only to refuel and start it. But the only thing it happened some days ago was it was really hot like around 45C . Don't think that might affect lines on compressor. What I came across was some people saying relay might be gone bad. I will trty that.. anything else? if not I guess I will have to take it to an AC shop and check if coolant it's ok or recharge.
Thanks again, apologies for not answering before but I wasn't notified of the repy.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:12 PM   #7
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'd suggest you take it into a shop and have the AC checked.

Thanks mate wasn't notified of the reply like I said to other mates. I think if it's not the relay, will take it toan AC shop and check for the pressure on coolant.
The Following User Says Thank You to dssence For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-09-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 05:03 PM   #8
Opie

Garage
Quote:
Not that normal cause it keeps engaging and disengaging , like every 30 seconds and again .. this wasn't happening before. Like I said I'm, not moving this car for along time only to refuel and start it. But the only thing it happened some days ago was it was really hot like around 45C . Don't think that might affect lines on compressor. What I came across was some people saying relay might be gone bad. I will trty that.. anything else? if not I guess I will have to take it to an AC shop and check if coolant it's ok or recharge.
Thanks again, apologies for not answering before but I wasn't notified of the repy.

Every 86 I have does this depending on ambient temperature and setting of the A/C....
dssence (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #9
dssence

Quote:
Every 86 I have does this depending on ambient temperature and setting of the A/C....

thanks mate , how often do you hear the ac clutch engaging ( is it seconds or couple minutes) , that click. Also mine is 86 FT/MT with manual ac .
Old 03-09-2023, 09:05 AM   #10
Opie

Garage
Quote:
thanks mate , how often do you hear the ac clutch engaging ( is it seconds or couple minutes) , that click. Also mine is 86 FT/MT with manual ac .
It all depends on the ambient temp and A/C settings, can be every few minutes, or every 30-50 seconds.
dssence (03-09-2023), strat61caster (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #11
dssence

Quote:
It all depends on the ambient temp and A/C settings, can be every few minutes, or every 30-50 seconds.

noo wayy, you sure 30-50 seconds cause that is what happened to me. Then I heard the internal fan kicking from the hood. made me worry for sure
Old 03-10-2023, 12:28 AM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I tried to tell you it's normal. Even if it isn't, quit freaking out and just get it checked.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:30 AM   #13
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I tried to tell you it's normal. Even if it isn't, quit freaking out and just get it checked.

That's no fun!
Old 03-10-2023, 04:39 AM   #14
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
noo wayy, you sure 30-50 seconds cause that is what happened to me. Then I heard the internal fan kicking from the hood. made me worry for sure

This does not sound like a relay issue.

The main question in this case would be, (and I'm surprised nobody has asked it yet):

Is the A/C keeping you cool enough on a hot day?

If the answer is NO, then you are most likely low on refrigerant due to a leak. If the answer is YES, then there is probably no issue, and the system is cycling normally according to the load on it. The load being the outdoor ambient temperature, and the temperature and humidity of the air passing through the evaporator coil inside the cabin (the air that is blowing out of the vents to cool you down).

In either case, you won't be able to really diagnose without using a set of refrigerant gauges.

I'm going to tell you what I tell my old lady when she gets upset: "Just calm down, you're overreacting."
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-10-2023)