follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake Scheduled Maintenance

Starting to gather info on parts needed for a brake job. I can feel the brakes getting a bit soft and there is some squeal. I'm at around 45K Miles. My commute involves more in-city driving vs HW and it has increased ever since I got transferred to our bigger offices in a busier part of the city.

So far I have:
-MTEC Brake Lines @spike021, I think you might've had a set you wanted to get rid of?

-Centric Front and Rear Rotors
-Pads: Stoptech Street Touring but I am open to suggestions, I could also go OEM.

Unrelated side question: Im buying everything off 86speed as they have been
reliable ever since I've had the car. I was browsing their Strut and Shock section and came across HKS Hipermax G set, single tube damper design. Spring rates are (N/mm (kgf/mm).

F=28(2.9)
R=45(4.6)

I currently have, and plan to install soon the RCE Yellow Springs on OEM shocks. Any thoughts on the HKS G? @NoHaveMSG @DarkPira7e tagging you since you are very knowledgeable when it comes to these things.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
**EDIT**
I totally misunderstood and replied about the Hipermax S coilovers. I shouldn't be replying to anything until I have finished my coffee.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the technical side about what's going to be best, I think the important part is knowing how progressive these springs are (and as msg said, they don't provide a dyno) so you can kind of predict how they will react to sudden impact. As I had said in my previous version of this post, I've only driven around Fairfield/Bridgeport and on the Merritt- I'd lose teeth over how rough some of the roads are if I had to daily around there. I don't know if it'd be fun to experiment with a new shock/spring combo that could possibly be over-reactive.

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 02-15-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Didn't read the first time
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #3
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Hmmm nope not me.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Never heard of that HKS setup til now. I looked them up and HKS G are a spec strut/spring combo sold together link here
Couldn't find hands on feedback but HKS looks to have valved the shocks for the spring rates. In theory those should ride great, I could not find anything on the site indicating ride height. Probably closer to stock with 2.9K front springs and limited bump travel. Yellows have a 4.5K front by comparison.

Whether they would ride better than say a yellow/B6 setup is hard to say. Would be an interesting comparison of anyone lives near you with yellow/B6 should you choose to go with the HKS.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:06 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post

Unrelated side question: Im buying everything off 86speed as they have been
reliable ever since I've had the car. I was browsing their Strut and Shock section and came across HKS Hipermax G set, single tube damper design. Spring rates are (N/mm (kgf/mm).

F=28(2.9)
R=45(4.6)

I currently have, and plan to install soon the RCE Yellow Springs on OEM shocks. Any thoughts on the HKS G?
No dyno chart so can't really comment. Pretty low spring rates, i'd imagine they are pretty digressive(which is good) or they are just going to blow through their travel. Unless they are really progressive which is all around.
DarkPira7e (02-15-2023), spcmafia (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Never heard of that HKS setup til now. I looked them up and HKS G are a spec strut/spring combo sold together link here
Couldn't find hands on feedback but HKS looks to have valved the shocks for the spring rates. In theory those should ride great, I could not find anything on the site indicating ride height. Probably closer to stock with 2.9K front springs and limited bump travel. Yellows have a 4.5K front by comparison.

Whether they would ride better than say a yellow/B6 setup is hard to say. Would be an interesting comparison of anyone lives near you with yellow/B6 should you choose to go with the HKS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
No dyno chart so can't really comment. Pretty low spring rates, i'd imagine they are pretty digressive(which is good) or they are just going to blow through their travel. Unless they are really progressive which is all around.

I found that to be odd too. There's no record on the forums for the specific strut configuration. Maybe Japan forums? Nor dyno info, which is odd for a manufacturer like HKS. Would I be willing be the test guinea pig? Maybe, I'll probably contact 86Speed and ask what they know about it.

As far as my brake parts go, anything you might be able to suggest. Is that set up good or any recommendations?
Old 02-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Hmmm nope not me.

You're right, I might have to go the "Pay it forward thread" and see who is the one that mentioned brake lines.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:39 PM   #8
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I found that to be odd too. There's no record on the forums for the specific strut configuration. Maybe Japan forums? Nor dyno info, which is odd for a manufacturer like HKS. Would I be willing be the test guinea pig? Maybe, I'll probably contact 86Speed and ask what they know about it.

As far as my brake parts go, anything you might be able to suggest. Is that set up good or any recommendations?
My only counter is that you already own yellows, grabbing some B6s which are more known setup might be safer. But if you want to be the guinea pig that may end up paying off if they are more comfortable.

Do you only street drive? I think you have the right idea. I would probably just buy new OEM lines my self as I understand they're internally braided.(correct me if I'm wrong)

Never ran that version of stop tech pads but for a street driven car that should do just fine.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #9
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
My only counter is that you already own yellows, grabbing some B6s which are more known setup might be safer. But if you want to be the guinea pig that may end up paying off if they are more comfortable.

Do you only street drive? I think you have the right idea. I would probably just buy new OEM lines my self as I understand they're internally braided.(correct me if I'm wrong)

Never ran that version of stop tech pads but for a street driven car that should do just fine.

Correct, I have the yellows, just yet to install them. I was going to purchase the B6 and just do everything at once.

Im doing as much research as I can on these HKS before making a decision.

As far as the OEM lines, I'd have to look it up. I've seen the suggestion to make the switch to SS lines so I thought might as well do it. I currently do not have an issue with brake response, rather feel, probably worn out or on their way (pads).

There are so many pads out there so I didn't really know where to start. I could also just stick with OEM and call it a day.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

There are so many pads out there so I didn't really know where to start. I could also just stick with OEM and call it a day.

For what it's worth, replacing my OE pads and rotors with Centric blanks and TRD pads helped me bring my car down much faster than OE and more than once, unlike OE. Still on stock lines. I haven't heard a peep out of the TRD pads either
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (02-15-2023), Teseo (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 08:09 PM   #11
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you’re set on replacing the pads/rotors centric/stop tech are fine for a street driven car. I haven’t done the brakes on my BRZ yet but have used Centic plain coated rotors and posi quiet pads on my F150 and Camry with very good results. The replacement parts noticeably out perform the OEM parts, at least worn out OEM parts.

That said, 43k miles seems a little early to be wearing out pads. If you haven’t flushed the system yet, I’d do that first and hold onto the parts. If you want to replace then regardless it certainly won’t hurt anything and you might get better feel in the bargain. I run hot and cold on the stainless lines. Every motorcycle I owned after 1990 that didn’t come with them got them shortly after I bought it.

Cars? I haven’t felt the need so far. My BRZ felt a little spongy when new. I replaced the fluid and installed a master cylinder brace and that tightened them right no up. I’ve done one fluid flush since. Didn’t notice any difference after.
spcmafia (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:07 PM   #12
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
toyota maintenance intervals calls for brake fluid changes at 30k mi. if you haven't done that, i'd do that first.

commuting can also tend to glaze pads more from light repeated stops. try a few really hard 60-0 stops, the squealing should taper off.

for commuting, especially on an '18, i don't think altered brake lines are really any sort of worthwhile investment.
spcmafia (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #13
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
toyota maintenance intervals calls for brake fluid changes at 30k mi. if you haven't done that, i'd do that first.

commuting can also tend to glaze pads more from light repeated stops. try a few really hard 60-0 stops, the squealing should taper off.

for commuting, especially on an '18, i don't think altered brake lines are really any sort of worthwhile investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
If you’re set on replacing the pads/rotors centric/stop tech are fine for a street driven car. I haven’t done the brakes on my BRZ yet but have used Centic plain coated rotors and posi quiet pads on my F150 and Camry with very good results. The replacement parts noticeably out perform the OEM parts, at least worn out OEM parts.

That said, 43k miles seems a little early to be wearing out pads. If you haven’t flushed the system yet, I’d do that first and hold onto the parts. If you want to replace then regardless it certainly won’t hurt anything and you might get better feel in the bargain. I run hot and cold on the stainless lines. Every motorcycle I owned after 1990 that didn’t come with them got them shortly after I bought it.

Cars? I haven’t felt the need so far. My BRZ felt a little spongy when new. I replaced the fluid and installed a master cylinder brace and that tightened them right no up. I’ve done one fluid flush since. Didn’t notice any difference after.
I did both the clutch and brake fluids wen the vehicle hit 30K. I like the idea of the master cylinder brace. Also willing to try the 60-0 brake and maybe that'll do it.
I'm not dead set on the SS lines, just deemed it a "nice to have" if I'm already doing repairs in the immediate area.
The only thing that lead me to believe that the pads are on their way out is the longer stopping distance, squeal, and slight softness on the brake pedal. I could just get a measurement tool and take a peek at how much pad is left.
soundman98 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 09:11 AM   #14
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I understand the allure of SS lines. I guess it’s like wearing really sexy underwear that you have no interest letting others see. If it makes you feel good about yourself DO IT.!
soundman98 (02-17-2023), Teseo (02-17-2023)