follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #673
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the 16x7 inch TE-37s weigh less than than 15x7 gravel TE-37s. Just a thought.

(i still want the 15 inch gravels for gravel )

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
why? (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #674
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
who cares what it looks like?
I do! Lol! I'm the one that has to look at it more than anyone, and if it has skateboard wheels with huge fender gap, that's just not my thing. Form follows function for me, but form is still there.. 🙂
why? (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #675
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the 16x7 inch TE-37s weigh less than than 15x7 gravel TE-37s. Just a thought.

(i still want the 15 inch gravels for gravel )

- Andrew
How would that work..?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #676
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
How would that work..?
The 15 inch TE37s are designed specifically for rally and are likely beefed up compared to a "normal" wheel.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
why? (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #677
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do! Lol! I'm the one that has to look at it more than anyone, and if it has skateboard wheels with huge fender gap, that's just not my thing. Form follows function for me, but form is still there.. 🙂
If I cared about form in any way at all I would buy Volk Racing G025 DB/C the second I could. They are basically the only wheel I have ever really liked the looks of. https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/wheel.php?lang=en&wheel=G025_LD, https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/product...=en&wheel=G025

But since 99% of the wheels out there look basically the same to me, I'm going all for function, and if I can piss off stance losers at all that is just an added bonus. Note that I am having lift springs installed on my car, wheel gap is not my concern, not scraping on absolutely everything in sight is. The rain gutters and road crowns where I live are gigantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The 15 inch TE37s are designed specifically for rally and are likely beefed up compared to a "normal" wheel.

- Andrew

I think they weigh about the same, but it is hard to find specifically for the individual wheel. Other te37 gravel in 15x7 weigh about 11.5, which is the figure I have found for both 16x7 te37 and ce28. Since I'm not a dealer though I don't have any official numbers.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #678
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All for function .. tires imho are more important then wheels, and unfortunately tire selection in smaller sizes is way worse then in bigger sizes. I guess, it's because of generic trend of bigger and bigger wheels for new cars, and tire manufacturers mostly targeting those when deciding on sizing to manufacture, at least for their latest tire models. Yes, some tires still available in those small sizes more common for cars of past .. but are those available tires really best in class? Are those available cars of latest tire models released in last year or two or rather something that has been around for 5-10 years?
So as tire-wheel combo imho should be evaluated as whole, and as compromise in several areas, like tire selection, wheel selection, brake clearance, impact to handling and comfort, cost and availability of wheels/tires including in used market .. if "function" is considered as wheels&tires combo fitting best most needs, being "best compromise", then imho for twins R16 is go-to for winter tires, R17 for summer/track (and i'm considering about R18 for later, due several new tires starting from that size). Better tire on heavier/bigger wheel will outperform worse tire on lighter/smaller wheel. Only if rest being same, some performance can be net from lighter/smaller wheels .. unfortunately it gets harder or in some cases impossible to ensure that "same" and be able to benefit from "smallest possible wheels that still clear brakes". Hence one shouldn't be THAT much set on it, if it's at expense of important compromises elsewhere.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-16-2020), why? (08-14-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #679
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Better tire on heavier/bigger wheel will outperform worse tire on lighter/smaller wheel.
I think it goes without saying that the comparison of wheel diameters is using the same model tire in the comparison. There's certainly no shortage of 200tw, R compound, or even UHP tires in 16", that's for sure.
new2subaru (08-14-2020), why? (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #680
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it goes without saying that the comparison of wheel diameters is using the same model tire in the comparison. There's certainly no shortage of 200tw, R compound, or even UHP tires in 16", that's for sure.
Agree.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #681
churchx

And i don't agree so much. First - it's less rosy for 15" (and in general, for lower sizes one goes, worse tire-selection wise it gets), second - availability of some tires in class doesn't assume availability of most and especially of latest/newest ones, so same model tire is often out. And by time it gets worse. It's generic trend, that carmakers for marketing (bigger considered more premium and smaller sized vs competitor offerings might worsen sales) and handling (cheap way to sharpen steering w/o investing much in developing rest of suspension) reasons grow most common wheel sizes over time, and tiremakers (and tire retailers that choose what to restock every year) follow, even if i don't like it due associated cons like weight, cost, less compliance of lower profile tires. Eg. i wanted to try something from newer UUHP ones, like MPS4S / GYF1SS / CSC6 as next set .. fsck, not even for 17" (unless in US) anymore. That disappoints .. & makes one think of trends out there..
One can choose stick with very smallest size wheels .. but that choice will get less optimal over time, and thus not exactly reasonable with "for function/performance", at least in very long-term.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
why? (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #682
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
All for function .. tires imho are more important then wheels, and unfortunately tire selection in smaller sizes is way worse then in bigger sizes. I guess, it's because of generic trend of bigger and bigger wheels for new cars, and tire manufacturers mostly targeting those when deciding on sizing to manufacture, at least for their latest tire models. Yes, some tires still available in those small sizes more common for cars of past .. but are those available tires really best in class? Are those available cars of latest tire models released in last year or two or rather something that has been around for 5-10 years?
So as tire-wheel combo imho should be evaluated as whole, and as compromise in several areas, like tire selection, wheel selection, brake clearance, impact to handling and comfort, cost and availability of wheels/tires including in used market .. if "function" is considered as wheels&tires combo fitting best most needs, being "best compromise", then imho for twins R16 is go-to for winter tires, R17 for summer/track (and i'm considering about R18 for later, due several new tires starting from that size). Better tire on heavier/bigger wheel will outperform worse tire on lighter/smaller wheel. Only if rest being same, some performance can be net from lighter/smaller wheels .. unfortunately it gets harder or in some cases impossible to ensure that "same" and be able to benefit from "smallest possible wheels that still clear brakes". Hence one shouldn't be THAT much set on it, if it's at expense of important compromises elsewhere.

That 100% depends on your use case. It is always wise to choose tires first and then go look at wheels. 15 and 16 inch tires are not going to be going away any time soon.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (08-14-2020), nikitopo (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #683
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That 100% depends on your use case. It is always wise to choose tires first and then go look at wheels. 15 and 16 inch tires are not going to be going away any time soon.
Dead right...I'm surprised at how it is always assumed that 16"s are a compromise for the worse rather than being an actual positive in many situations (and not just dirt).

Overall, wheel sizes have been primarily driven upwards by aesthetics, perceptions and salesmanship.
Attached Images

grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-14-2020), nikitopo (08-14-2020), RickyRacer (04-14-2021), soundman98 (08-14-2020), venturaII (08-14-2020), Wally86 (08-14-2020), why? (08-15-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #684
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Dead right...I'm surprised at how it is always assumed that 16"s are a compromise for the worse rather than being an actual positive in many situations (and not just dirt).
Hear hear! I've said it before, but I'm absolutely convinced that this chassis was tuned with 16s in mind, and only went up to 17s for marketing reasons. The more dynamic behavior of the taller sidewall works well with stock ride height (and looks better to boot).
grumpysnapper (08-14-2020), nikitopo (08-15-2020), why? (08-15-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #685
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hear hear! I've said it before, but I'm absolutely convinced that this chassis was tuned with 16s in mind, and only went up to 17s for marketing reasons. The more dynamic behavior of the taller sidewall works well with stock ride height (and looks better to boot).
Could be true, there is a false belief that the smaller sidewall on 17s and 18s mean performance and handling. We all know this is not necessarily true. I mean have you seen the sidewalls on some race cars. As you said it’s about tuning of the suspension with the tire.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #686
churchx

But it's not false belief that tires over latest few decades have improved immensely. And they keep improving. Pair that with tire manufacturers releasing new models in bigger sizes only .. We are not putting diagonal cord tires with white sidewalls on 13" wheels on ours anymore or considering that they will outperform modern tires? One needs to drive a line somewhere, where pros of smaller wheels outperform cons, and from where trying to stick with smaller wheels is less optimal choice with cons starting to outweight pros.
Also not sure if race car argument can be used much. After all, many races use not street legal tires of very low threadwear, so hardly considerable outside pure racing. And then there are several race types with regulated mono-tire. Again, how it's applicable if you want to choose best available in certain tire class and not being forced to specific selection?