follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
Gam3rBlue

Drives: Scion-FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Per peak WHP to WHP comparison, twinscrew/roots style Supercharger will generally stress the engine more for two reason (some setups and variables may differ),

but for one supercharger generally will have more instant low end torque, a huge hit of torque at 3k rpm is what snaps rods.

Also supercharger has much more parasitic loss so you need substantially more crank HP to get the same WHP, 375whp is around 460crank hp on a supercharger or around 430crank hp with a turbo.

The other advantage to a turbo, is with a proper inter-cooler setup you can keep intake temps low and consistent. With a supercharger especially pushing out that much power heat soak and high intake temps will be a struggle. Only so much you can keep intake temps down on a twin screw/roots style supercharger eventually you will succumb to heatsoak issues.

cost isnt that much different, a lot of hidden costs for both FI setups at that power level.

Okay,for sure. I will look into Turbos a little more then. Everyone seems to have the same thoughts on it. Always hard to judge on the online as options very and articles are different . But I'll look at cost comparing a turbo set up to my SC set up and see if there is a big difference or not .
Gam3rBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
Gam3rBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Have you taken it out yet?

not sure what level of "a drift car" you want, but you can go to grassroots drift events with a stock car and have a ball. Start there see what you like and dislike, then ask questions on how to fix that. IMO a big partlist isn't the way to go.

If you have a local shop that goes to those events support them! They will be the best and fastest source of information/fixes when you blow up on the course.
To the track or a drift event ,not yet. Been to busy. But in looking at going to one this week to ask the guys down there what they run / set up and see what info I can get and of course ask them what they think about what I wanna run. Where I live it's pretty lack luster for the type of shops that go to events around here. Small town. But again.. I'll find out more come this week / weekend .

As for the level of drift car,I mean , I'm not gonna be a pro drifter lol have a great career . But I want A fun car that's built up, looks good and can easily be drifted; possiblely do some track.

As for a parts list.. I like to plan ahead and see my costs. They are always subject to change but I don't like doing things on the fly .
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3rBlue View Post
Okay,for sure. I will look into Turbos a little more then. Everyone seems to have the same thoughts on it. Always hard to judge on the online as options very and articles are different . But I'll look at cost comparing a turbo set up to my SC set up and see if there is a big difference or not .
Not sure where your reading people saying SC is better for whatever reason. I know a lot of people went SC over Turbo for a few reasons (none of which is performance or max potential).

They go SC because they maybe went full NA bolt ons first and SC is the next addition without losing mods already done like header and possibly intake.

Some good direct bolt on kits with little to no permanent modifications or custom fab work / easy to install.

SC is a lot of fun for a DD always having instant torque/power and being able to accelerate and pass people without needing to rev out or give a lot of throttle.

And lastly most people aren't planning on a built block and only want 275-350whp which is about the top end for most SC kits.

But
Turbo hands down for max performance and max potential for tracking and drifting, especially if doing a built block.
Not that a SC setup is bad or cant track/drift, just wont be as good if your goal is an all out track or drift build.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-05-2019), Gam3rBlue (09-05-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
To the track or a drift event ,not yet. Been to busy. But in looking at going to one this week to ask the guys down there what they run / set up and see what info I can get and of course ask them what they think about what I wanna run. Where I live it's pretty lack luster for the type of shops that go to events around here. Small town. But again.. I'll find out more come this week / weekend .

As for the level of drift car,I mean , I'm not gonna be a pro drifter lol have a great career . But I want A fun car that's built up, looks good and can easily be drifted; possiblely do some track.

As for a parts list.. I like to plan ahead and see my costs. They are always subject to change but I don't like doing things on the fly .
Do you have a budget or timeframe you plan on doing this?
You could work on all supporting mods, like front-pipe back exhaust, suspension, wheels, driveshaft, axles, transmission/clutch, cooling etc... and enjoy and learn the car in NA form while you build it up, then once ready build the block put on FI and have everything in place ready to handle all the power. Could even buy a used OFT that you can resell for all your money back and have a little NA tune in the mean time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Gam3rBlue (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
Gam3rBlue

Quote:
Do you have a budget or timeframe you plan on doing this?
You could work on all supporting mods, like front-pipe back exhaust, suspension, wheels, driveshaft, axles, transmission/clutch, cooling etc... and enjoy and learn the car in NA form while you build it up, then once ready build the block put on FI and have everything in place ready to handle all the power. Could even buy a used OFT that you can resell for all your money back and have a little NA tune in the mean time.

I don't have a budget or a time frame- as I know this will probably take me awhile to do and make it perfect the way I want it; stuff always changes. That said I do want it completed before I'm dead lol..

But you are right, It would be a good idea to start with the supporting mods first. I did a little more research last night into drifting and on the forums and to start, without going to crazy / costly. would be to do your suspension, change the angles on your front wheels and switch the dif, like you said to a LSD or welded. That way even NA your car can then at lest handle being able to drift.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
Gam3rBlue

Quote:
Not sure where your reading people saying SC is better for whatever reason. I know a lot of people went SC over Turbo for a few reasons (none of which is performance or max potential).

They go SC because they maybe went full NA bolt ons first and SC is the next addition without losing mods already done like header and possibly intake.

Some good direct bolt on kits with little to no permanent modifications or custom fab work / easy to install.

SC is a lot of fun for a DD always having instant torque/power and being able to accelerate and pass people without needing to rev out or give a lot of throttle.

And lastly most people aren't planning on a built block and only want 275-350whp which is about the top end for most SC kits.

But
Turbo hands down for max performance and max potential for tracking and drifting, especially if doing a built block.
Not that a SC setup is bad or cant track/drift, just wont be as good if your goal is an all out track or drift build.

Okay that makes sense.

but yea, wasn't so much people saying SC was better then Turbo ( sorry if I put that in there) but it just seemed like the impression was that people prefer the SC over Turbo for the FR-S so maybe I was getting my wires crossed lol. And as for trying to figure out which one would be better for Drifting it kind of seemed like it came down to personal preference ( at least from the reading aspect ) I did try to look up videos of SC drifting and not a whole lot came up which leads me to believe that the Turbo for this is the better way to go.

Again, still researching. Which is basically endless for this. I do plan to hit the drift track up this weekend though and call around to a few shops today.

I will probably post that here .
Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #21
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
but for one supercharger generally will have more instant low end torque, a huge hit of torque at 3k rpm is what snaps rods.
Turbo is worse in that regard. A turbo will hit full boost at low RPM. SC (TVS or centri) will not.

Turbos also heat soak/raise underhood temps. A properly setup turbo is more expensive for only a little more power if trying to stay "reasonable" on the stock rods and trans.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

If this is still going to be a street car be very careful what you start changing. All the recommendations from experienced guys may sound cool but if you don't know how to handle them they will be useless when wrapped around a pole.
Walk before you run!
Old 09-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Turbo is worse in that regard. A turbo will hit full boost at low RPM. SC (TVS or centri) will not.

Turbos also heat soak/raise under hood temps. A properly setup turbo is more expensive for only a little more power if trying to stay "reasonable" on the stock rods and trans.
If you look at dyno graphs, edelbrock and sprintex both have a flat and instant torque line, I have max boost at WOT at anything over 2500rpm on my sprintex. Turbos need time to spool up and build boost, and you can control max boost by RPM to limit a big Torque hit and have a more linear torque ramp up. Centrifugal SC will be more similar to turbos in this regard to how power is output. Also SC will generally have a 10% greater drive-train loss so you need to make roughly 10% more crank HP to have the same WHP/Torque, so both putting down 250ft⋅lb the SC is creating 25ft⋅lb more at the crank resulting in greater stress to the engine.

See attached image, non centri SC make more low end, but even more so if you adjust the line so that both SC and turbo make same Peak WHP the SC makes even more low end Torque. Most people look at a turbo making 400whp peak and sure it'll have more torque down low compared to a SC making 275whp peak, but both making same peak number SC will have more down low torque and make more power across the entire powerband, but stress the engine more at the same numbers because of the extra crank power it needs to make to compensate for parasitic losses.

Turbos generate more heat, but their intercoolers are much more effective compared to any non centrifugal SC, you can manage the heat with wrapping the manifold, Turbo blanket, and hood vents. and not have to worry about loss of power do to high intake temps like a heat soaked SC manifold will have.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Gam3rBlue (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
Gam3rBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If this is still going to be a street car be very careful what you start changing. All the recommendations from experienced guys may sound cool but if you don't know how to handle them they will be useless when wrapped around a pole.
Walk before you run!

It is not going to be a street car. I am building it for Drifting mostly- with maybe the often chance of going on track, but most Drift. I have my own car to DD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gam3rBlue For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
It is not going to be a street car. I am building it for Drifting mostly- with maybe the often chance of going on track, but most Drift. I have my own car to DD.
Excellent. Then go nuts on it!

Gam3rBlue (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #26
Gam3rBlue

Well after calling around, Finally found a shop that specializes in high performance cars / track cars/ drift etc and they have a dyno + tune. The only problem is they are about a 3 hour drive from me lol. Shitty small towns. But found out to do a welded Diff or switch out the dif on the FR-S to a LSD is only around 2-300$ With that I sent them a more detailed email telling them what I wanted to do and asked them a few I had regarding basically what we are talking on here about. So hopefully they come back with some good answers.

I even asked if they could write up recommended parts / brands for a couple things and a set up. so I don't destroy my car off the start and spend money on pointless things. See how that turns out, the guy on the phone seemed pretty up for it .
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
Gam3rBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Excellent. Then go nuts on it!

Haha yea buddy- OP Full Send
Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #28
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Sell yours. Buy one already set up to drift. If I have learned anything in my time spent with racecars its, you can buy a built one for cheaper than you can build one.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (09-06-2019)

Tags
build, frs, setup, supercharged