follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #3137
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scion View Post
A few questions
Who is running the Mann rear bar? - What setting should I start out on?
Who is running MCS Non-remotes? - Are you having fitment issues trying to run caster in the front? The bottom of the strut is hitting my endlinks. I have a strano FSB. I ordered a Perrin FSB to see if that fixes it.
I run MCS non-remotes, I think the vorshlag plates have built in caster. I can take better pictures for you later if you need. I did not do the install though.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #3138
Mr.Scion

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems the Strano FSB did not play well with the MCS. The Perrin FSB with Hotchkis endlinks gives me about a 1/4" of clearance from the bottom of the strut with full caster. So, looks like im in the clear. I ordered the Mann rear bar with the SPL rear endlinks and they should be here Friday.

All I need now is my tune.

Also, during corner balance the car weighed 2,717 with 210 pounds in the driver's seat.

See you guys at the Match Tour in Pitt
Mr.Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Scion For This Useful Post:
tigermack (03-27-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #3139
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Weird. I ran my strano bar with MCS for nearly 2 years without any issues.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #3140
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
So I was at the Dixie national tour event this weekend. Great time. Interesting thing regarding STX and SSC though... SSC pretty much kept up with STX. There were 19 STX cars out there. Well prepped, experienced racers. Competitive field. About 10 SSC cars. Only one STX car beat the fastest SSC car, and only by a fraction. I found that very interesting. No doubt that driver skill played a role, but I'm now convinced that the typical setup of an STX car is fairly far off the mark. There are several improvements made on an STX car that should have it performing significantly better than an SSC car. The one thing I can think of that helps an SSC car out compared to the average STX car: softer springs. 200F/275R more or less. I wonder if most STX cars could be significantly faster with springs closer to that. Just thought I'd throw that out there for discussion and see if anyone else was as surprised as I was. I'm also curious if people are seeing different results elsewhere. Maybe it was just a fluke. But there were more than one or two SSC cars that embarrassed a lot of good STX drivers
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #3141
Mr.Scion

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Weird. I ran my strano bar with MCS for nearly 2 years without any issues.
Did you have raceseng top hats or top hats that can give you caster?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #3142
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
So I was at the Dixie national tour event this weekend. Great time. Interesting thing regarding STX and SSC though... SSC pretty much kept up with STX. There were 19 STX cars out there. Well prepped, experienced racers. Competitive field. About 10 SSC cars. Only one STX car beat the fastest SSC car, and only by a fraction. I found that very interesting. No doubt that driver skill played a role, but I'm now convinced that the typical setup of an STX car is fairly far off the mark. There are several improvements made on an STX car that should have it performing significantly better than an SSC car. The one thing I can think of that helps an SSC car out compared to the average STX car: softer springs. 200F/275R more or less. I wonder if most STX cars could be significantly faster with springs closer to that. Just thought I'd throw that out there for discussion and see if anyone else was as surprised as I was. I'm also curious if people are seeing different results elsewhere. Maybe it was just a fluke. But there were more than one or two SSC cars that embarrassed a lot of good STX drivers

I wasn’t at the event, but just my $0.02.

Watching video, I don’t think slalom speeds were where STX needed to be for speed. Especially at Dixie, where one section compounds to 600’+ it can kill you. It really makes you pay if you don’t nail an entry/exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #3143
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems the Strano FSB did not play well with the MCS. The Perrin FSB with Hotchkis endlinks gives me about a 1/4" of clearance from the bottom of the strut with full caster. So, looks like im in the clear. I ordered the Mann rear bar with the SPL rear endlinks and they should be here Friday.

All I need now is my tune.

Also, during corner balance the car weighed 2,717 with 210 pounds in the driver's seat.

See you guys at the Match Tour in Pitt

I’d almost call BS at those scales. That’s a lighter setup than Danny’s FRS which he did everything on.

Typical STX weight is around 2600 or so. High 2500s with seats and brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
justinco (03-21-2018), justint5387 (03-21-2018), tigermack (03-27-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #3144
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
With a field that big I am surprised by those results, may have been course dependent. Looking at the the SCC suspension kit the sway bars are pretty big, 25mm front and 19mm compared to most STX builds.

The lots in our area are pretty rough and favor softer set ups. I've done one event with 5kg/5kg springs and stock sways which pushes quiet a bit. Before the next event I want to try a 22mm front sway, 16mm rear sway and 5kg F / 7KG rear springs. I want the car as soft as possible.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #3145
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
With a field that big I am surprised by those results, may have been course dependent. Looking at the the SCC suspension kit the sway bars are pretty big, 25mm front and 19mm compared to most STX builds.

The lots in our area are pretty rough and favor softer set ups. I've done one event with 5kg/5kg springs and stock sways which pushes quiet a bit. Before the next event I want to try a 22mm front sway, 16mm rear sway and 5kg F / 7KG rear springs. I want the car as soft as possible.
This lot was not really that rough but I still think the softer springs helped peak grip. I think I'm going to try springs half way between the 400/400 that came on my car and the eibach pro kit. About 275f/350r. I'll see how that goes.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #3146
dvalue

Drives: 15 BRZ
Is there some finesse needed to launch the car after a tune?

I went with the Motoeast tune with transition control and launch control, but for the life of me cannot get the car off the line properly. Ill get a slight chirp, but then the car acts like traction control is still on.

This is with the long press, no pedal dance mode.

FWIW, I never had issues launching the car in DS trim

Last edited by dvalue; 03-20-2018 at 11:53 PM.
dvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #3147
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Quote:
Did you have raceseng top hats or top hats that can give you caster?
Yup, raceseng.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #3148
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The car weighs 2507? That's very light
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #3149
2superblus

Drives: 13 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
The car weighs 2507? That's very light
If that is truly the case that would be the lightest car seen.

Was it is full race prep with the wheels and tires on it?
2superblus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #3150
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Anyone see the April Fasttrack. The strikeouts didn't copy over so it doesn't quite read correctly, sorry. Go look it up.

Change Proposal

Street Touring
#21325 Minimum seat weight, steering wheels, airbags
The STAC is soliciting member feedback on increasing the minimum weight of allowed
replacement aftermarket seats. This is to better align the allowances with the weights of
today’s common seats and mounting hardware.
Change 14.2.B as follows:
“B. The driver and front passenger seats may be replaced with the following
restrictions. The seating surface must be fully upholstered. The top of the seat,
or an attached headrest, may not be below the center of the driver’s head. The
seat, including mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 35 pounds and must be
attached using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional mounting points may
be added.”
The STAC is also soliciting member feedback on the following changes to require intact
SRS/Airbag systems effective January 1, 2020.

Modify 14.2.B and 14.2.D as follows:
“B. The driver and front passenger seats may be replaced with the following
restrictions. The seating surface must be fully upholstered. The top of the seat, or
an attached headrest, may not be below the center of the driver’s head. The seat,
including mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 pounds and must be attached
using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional mounting points may be
added. Seats with an integral airbag may not be modified or changed.”
“D. Any steering wheel may be used with the following restrictions. An alternate
steering wheel assembly, including all mounting hardware, which replaces an airbagequipped
wheel is not required to have an airbag but must weigh at least as much as
the standard assembly. Steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be modified
or changed.
An alternate wheel is not required to have a horn button.”