follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Switchblade Flip key

There a couple guys selling switchblade keys for like 50 bucks. they try and make it sound like a hard thing to do. here is a DIY which shows how easy it is as well as a ebay link for the case. Lets stop screwing fellow owners by ripping them off and be more honest. I was banned from the facebook group because of this. Don't buy into the lies.

EDIT: I was somewhat misinformed. They offer engravings, wrap and 3 months warranty for that price. So cost is more understandable. Im goin to leave this thread tho so info can be found. If you feel the cost is worth it go for it if not all the info needed is right here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Remo...-/170704105293

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmjV7oRvlA"]Toyota Flip Key - [ame]www.duplicatekeys.in[/ame] - YouTube[/url]

I understand they are trying to make a profit but the censorship of information alone is disgusting IMO

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 03-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Jay For This Useful Post:
encity5 (03-25-2014), SkAsphalt (03-26-2014), sklimo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
dz93

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just to understand this better (i havent got my car yet) correct me if i am wrong.

-you have the main key with the lock buttons etc and transponder.
-and a spare key that just has a transponder in it?

So......
-the original main key becomes the new spare key leaving the buttons useless but still has the transponder
-and the transponder from the original spare key gets moved into the new flip key.

Does the Flip key housing have the buttons for lock, unlock etc?
Where did you get the leather casing from.

Thank you
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
just to understand this better (i havent got my car yet) correct me if i am wrong.

-you have the main key with the lock buttons etc and transponder.
-and a spare key that just has a transponder in it?

So......
-the original main key becomes the new spare key leaving the buttons useless but still has the transponder
-and the transponder from the original spare key gets moved into the new flip key.

Does the Flip key housing have the buttons for lock, unlock etc?
Where did you get the leather casing from.

Thank you
The spare key you see in the video is your Valet key.

Yes, the flip key keeps all of the original functions. You can copy and paste the name of the link the OP posted into ebay and find more styles of the same design.
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Mr.Jay

After speaking to one of the guys I see that they do offer other stuff like a little engraving and they will wrap the keys as well

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 03-25-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Jay For This Useful Post:
sklimo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
dz93

yeah cause the key in that video looks quite nice with the leather and toyota badge where to my understanding the link provided is just a house that doesnt have the badge etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to dz93 For This Useful Post:
sklimo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Mr.Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
yeah cause the key in that video looks quite nice with the leather and toyota badge where to my understanding the link provided is just a house that doesnt have the badge etc.
There are a couple of different ones you can buy. All black, all white ot leather with red.

Just look around ebay
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
can you post pics next to a regular key for size comparison?
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
can you post pics next to a regular key for size comparison?

They have the standard key next to the flip key in the video 👍
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZOMFGAARON For This Useful Post:
sklimo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Yeah I defiantly wouldn't pay $50 for a $15 case for a mod I can do myself and get the key cut at Home Depot for free. Hahaha.
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Jeebus, I thought this was settled already.

You're paying $12 for the material, $38 for the service/warranty, done by someone with (a lot of) experience doing this. You want to do it yourself, fine. Spend your time researching, going to Home Depot, etc. Nobody's putting a gun to your head, telling you that that's the only option for custom keys.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with the key guys in any way. I used to do retrofits, so I understand their position. People would pay me $300 labor for a headlight project, but if they do it themselves, it will take much, much longer and/or they are afraid of screwing things up, especially for expensive parts such as headlights/tail lights, which they NEED to be able to use the car, even though I tell them that it's really easy to just bake open the headlights, etc. They were paying for my experience in that field, regardless of how long (or how short) amount of time it takes for me to do the project.

Last edited by retrosmiths; 03-26-2014 at 09:00 PM.
retrosmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retrosmiths For This Useful Post:
AG3NT_5CARFAC3 (03-26-2014), GaN-MaN (04-12-2014), JDMenrique (03-26-2014), sklimo (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I can vouch for the KLM keys that agent scarface makes. Most people don't want to mess around opening keys. I have heard nothing but great reviews about his work.

To be honest tho, it's kinda douchy to call out someone's livelihood in a fabricated negative light because you feel you can save someone a couple bucks. Its kinda low actually.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post

I understand they are trying to make a profit but the censorship of information alone is disgusting IMO
If this really concerns you make a thread about these major companies that buy rebranded shit from China. Then charge you 5x their cost.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
dz93

i would probably pay for that to be done.
yes i could do it myself if i took the time, but i haven't found any key cases on ebay that look like the one in the video.

To me its spend a little bit more and not have any worries, just like what retrosmiths saying.

but being in australia, im going to have to attempt this myself.
so if anyone can find a link for a good looking toyota key fob like in the video please hit me up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dz93 For This Useful Post:
AG3NT_5CARFAC3 (03-26-2014), retrosmiths (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Mr.Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Jeebus, I thought this was settled already.

You're paying $12 for the material, $38 for the service/warranty, done by someone with (a lot of) experience doing this. You want to do it yourself, fine. Spend your time researching, going to Home Depot, etc. Nobody's putting a gun to your head, telling you that that's the only option for custom keys.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with the key guys in any way. I used to do retrofits, so I understand their position. People would pay me $300 labor for a headlight project, but if they do it themselves, it will take much, much longer and/or they are afraid of screwing things up, especially for expensive parts such as headlights/tail lights, which they NEED to be able to use the car, even though I tell them that it's really easy to just bake open the headlights, etc. They were paying for my experience in that field, regardless of how long (or how short) amount of time it takes for me to do the project.
This was done. I left it alone but the other side doesnt seem to want to stop. 30 msg a day of insults to my country, family and calling me chinese when I'm not then posting more shit in this thread is what brought it back.

I also understand your point what you aren't hearing is they wouldn't even allow a diy to be posted for those that may want it. I tried posting it without mentioning their stuff and it still got deleted. So how would people know if it isn't even allowed to be posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3NT_5CARFAC3 View Post
OP needs to take a business 101 class
OP isn't trying to start a business at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
I can vouch for the KLM keys that agent scarface makes. Most people don't want to mess around opening keys. I have heard nothing but great reviews about his work.

To be honest tho, it's kinda douchy to call out someone's livelihood in a fabricated negative light because you feel you can save someone a couple bucks. Its kinda low actually.
I have nothing bad to say about his keys. I never did. Hell, I didn't even know scarface makes them as he made himself seem like a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3NT_5CARFAC3 View Post
damn that key is CLEAN! I mean I could probably make this, but no offense @Mr.Jay but I rather pay a little extra for it to be made 100%....and no I will not ask you to make me one.

good for you that you could make one but this is Keg Lyph Mafya we are talking about. THESE DUDES ARE LEGIT!
soo does he make them or not? Is this a misleading or does it not sound like he has no association.

He had plenty to say about mine however. His reason for his keys being better is they are more "legit" and "100%" which means what exactly? I agree it is kind of low however its funny you think that is low but am completely fine with how agent scarface pretended to be a buyer, gave rave reviews, and promoted his shit without first saying that he makes it. He even said that he isn't scarface in the fb thread. Trying to post up a diy to save the people that didn't know it could be diy some cash or misleading people hmm yea I did something much worst.

Honestly, I spoke with his partner and was cool with it all as the other guy was professional and corrected me on the things i did not know. we ended it but I can't help it if he feels the need to constantly msg me about this shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
If this really concerns you make a thread about these major companies that buy rebranded shit from China. Then charge you 5x their cost.
I haven't on here but yea I am against that too. TRD BBK is a joke I said it but I bet TRD isn't going to insult my mother.

K can we end this or do you want to keep going?
JDMenrique (03-26-2014), OjiGeorge (03-27-2014), sklimo (03-26-2014)