follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
daily driver alignment specs

I have RCE SS1 on my car and in my enthusiasm went to get a performance alignment. I have -1.7 degrees of camber with zero toe. On my summer tires this is freaking amazing. My winter tires are not having it, I've worn the inner tread blocks down in three months.

Question is, which one is causing it? Normally you want a little toe in for the front so that under load when the car is moving forward you basically have zero , correct? Is this too much camber (doesn't seem like it should be)?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
subd, i just got an alignment on winters with -2* all around, 0 toe. hope my winters arent done in 3 months, id be sad
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I think something else is up. -1.7 is not a lot and especially not with 0 toe. Or your alignment has shifted. How are your rear tires?

I've had 3 winters on my blizzaks, 2 of which I had more than -2 degrees of camber. They've worn evenly.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
toast

Rear tires look normal.

Not having a little toe-in won't hurt anything?

I did find that the three nuts on the top of the coilovers where they mount in the tower were all loose on one side but that shouldn't change toe. Never had any other issues before installing the coilovers (and never had an alignment since the day I bought it even after switching out springs a couple times).
Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Winter tires need less camber in order to make full even contact with the ground because there is less lateral load in slow snow driving. I would keep winter alignment as close to factory as possible, meaning less than -1* camber.

Good reference:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25001
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Drifter X (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Because I am on lowering springs but no other adjustments I am around -2 front and back. On my 5th winter with the snows and no sign of abnormal wear.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I've had similar front tire wear problem for the life of this car. My car is a first year model. Also I live in california. "Winter Tires" are PSS4+ lol. I recently removed the fronts due to inner shoulder wear in the front.

My car for the past 3 years or more have been on various factory BRZ/FRS dampers and springs. Camber -2f/-1.5r with 0 to small amount of toe.

I'm guessing dynamically during cornering my inside front tire is dragging during cornering? Maybe inner front tires is toeing out during cornering causing the inner tread blocks on the font tire to wear more? I'm just guessing here. Or maybe it's my driving style? Too much trail braking?

When I see people on the form posting that they run more than -3 degrees camber and claim to have even tire wear on the street... how?!?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Drifter X (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
How many miles on your cars? OEM front control arm bushings?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Rear tires look normal.

I did find that the three nuts on the top of the coilovers where they mount in the tower were all loose on one side but that shouldn't change toe. Never had any other issues before installing the coilovers (and never had an alignment since the day I bought it even after switching out springs a couple times).
Did it shift? Camber will change toe a bit. Not that much in the front compared to the rear but it does have some effect.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Rear tires look normal.

Depending on your car usage settings vary a lot.
But generally for a sporty street/canyon run/ daily with rare weekend warrior setup on a RWD car. 0” to 1/16” total toe out front (not in), and 1/16”-1/8” total toe in rear. Then 1.8-2.0 camber front and 1.3-1.6 camber rear. Is a good balanced setup for solid straight line stability, good turn in, power turn out, and normalish wear. Obviously you make some compromises being in a “middle” setup.

With RCE yellows, camber bolts, and spc rear arm. I was 1.8 camber, zero toe front. And 1.6 camber 1/16” toe in rear. I wanted 1.4 camber rear but toe adjustment was maxed. Still handles and performs phenomenally for a DD. After it was done the guy at the shop said, “Well your setup is too aggressive for the street and not aggressive enough for the track”. I said “perfect!”
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (02-20-2020), smg1138 (02-19-2020), Tristor (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How many miles on your cars? OEM front control arm bushings?

- Andrew
Entirely possible, 73k. But it wasn't an issue until the coilovers and alignment.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #12
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
When I see people on the form posting that they run more than -3 degrees camber and claim to have even tire wear on the street... how?!?

I'm running -3.2F/-2.2R with 0 toe in the front, and just a bit in in the rear, and a lot of caster (8 degrees). I have very even tire wear on the street just rotating my tires normally at each oil change. My alignment isn't really intended for street use, but my car has lately gotten a lot of street miles without any issues.

I am wondering if your bushings are tired and it is causing a shift in your alignment under load? You've got more than double the miles on your car that I do and I had already replaced my bushings once (mostly for performance, but also because some were already starting to wear due to hard driving). Should definitely check them.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I think something else is up. -1.7 is not a lot and especially not with 0 toe. Or your alignment has shifted. How are your rear tires?

I've had 3 winters on my blizzaks, 2 of which I had more than -2 degrees of camber. They've worn evenly.

- Andrew

I've had > -2.5* for the whole life of my current snows, and not seeing any uneven wear at all. My summers get a little sharp wedge on the inside with too much highway driving though. Currently running -3.2F/-2.5R, 0 toe front, 1/16" total rear toe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
Winter tires need less camber in order to make full even contact with the ground because there is less lateral load in slow snow driving. I would keep winter alignment as close to factory as possible, meaning less than -1* camber.

Good reference:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25001

Snows are actually more likely to make full contact with more camber because of the softer sidewalls. You're right that there's less body motion at slower speeds, but just driving straight the snows flex more and will definitely have the tread flatter than a high performance summer tire on the same alignment.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Snows are actually more likely to make full contact with more camber because of the softer sidewalls. You're right that there's less body motion at slower speeds, but just driving straight the snows flex more and will definitely have the tread flatter than a high performance summer tire on the same alignment.
Yes and it depends on a few things like weight distribution and tire pressure.

My 2019 BRZ still with its factory alignment, the outer shoulder of the rear tires makes less contact with the ground than the rest of the tire (Michelin Xi3). I can tell by how much road dust sticks to the tire tread, and how little wear there is on the outer shoulder. And this is with stock rim, stock tire size, stock tire pressure (35PSI), stock suspension; car has only 7000km.

The front tires however have virtually zero camber from the factory and they have an engine hanging over them so yes there is a lot of sidewall flex, resulting in even tread to ground contact more often.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote