follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
I didn't say that. But with $1000 suspension it's generally the case. And you lower the suspension too far it doesn't matter what dampers you have- it's in the bump stops and has no travel.
Right, but in many cases replacing only the springs can result in a worse ride than replacing both springs and shocks (or buying a full coilover setup). Your stock shocks are valved appropriately for stock springs - changing stock springs to lowering springs reduces bump travel and typically increases spring rate, which your stock shocks may (or may not) be able to handle.

... and it's not *just* the bump stops that make your ride uncomfortable (and, not all bump stops are the same); how well the shock controls the spring during the rest of the stroke is also important.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
Your stock shocks are valved appropriately for stock springs - changing stock springs to lowering springs reduces bump travel and typically increases spring rate, which your stock shocks may (or may not) be able to handle.
Actually many believe the OE dampers to be valved too 'stiff' for the OE springs, that's why the car takes so well to a stiffer lowering spring and many report equal or better ride quality on aftermarket lowering springs and stock dampers when compared to the OE springs.

On another car that's likely a valid argument against lowering springs + OE dampers, but not so much for the 86.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-17-2017), smg1138 (01-07-2017), wparsons (01-07-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
Dihudaxia

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the same problem as you, i have low tolerance for stiff suspensions.

Try Bilsteins B16.
Am on them now, very comfortable. Best suspension (for comfort) i have used on the 86 platform.

And i have been through 5 different setups to achieve my desired comfort level. Its not as smooth as stock, but then again, nothing i have tried is. The B16's are as close as i can get

Stock top mounts, reasonable lowering (1 inch down) and have your dampers set to 1 click up from full soft (position 2 the dial)
Dihudaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Funny,

I installed ST coils and didn't notice too much of discomfort change in the ride quality of the car. However I'm sure suspension changes are much like exhaust changes, everyone has different senses and opinions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but KW has adjustable dampening on their coils. On-top of that, ST is a daughter company of KW, so if you liked the build quality of the STs, you shouldn't have any issues jumping over to the more pricey KWs
Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
Infinity

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mann Engineering Type-25 (based on AST 4150 I believe...)
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
get ground control coilovers. they use custom valved konis which you can adjust damping with and you can choose whatever spring rate you want:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php?II=931

I have the complete kit with the camber plates and strut bar and I switched from BCs.... best decision I have ever made. the BCs made noises like I was driving on moon with banging and clunking. switched over to GC and I have been very happy. Both installed myself. Installed BCs multiple times taking it on and off and retorquing to spec, but I never got them to stop clunking. so out they went in GC in.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Bowen (01-09-2017), Roneezy (02-12-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #21
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I just switched out my ST coilovers for the same reason.

I almost went with TRD coilovers or Cusco Street Zero (same manufacturer as TRD) but shut that down once I reasoned I would still hear random clunks or coil binding with all coilovers in general unless they use rubber insulators between the springs and top hat like the stock setup. Even Moto Miwa who is a Cusco rep posted somewhere in this forum that noises can still be present in the Cuscos.

If spring perch clearance with wide front wheels isn't an issue, I recommend Bilstein B8 shocks with lowering springs of your choice. Eibach Sportline might give you the height you want. Before I had ST years ago, I had Sportlines on stock shocks which occasionally bottomed out in the rear over big bumps but Bilstein B8 perfectly accommodates for bump travel with lowering springs (a thread on here praises this exact setup if you search).

I'm over going that low so I went with a conservative drop TRD springs by Eibach, seemingly identical to their Pro-Kit.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #22
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Bilstein B6 and Eibach Pro-kit. Done.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Roneezy (02-12-2017), smg1138 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #23
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew
What he said. ^
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
Roneezy

Drives: Scion FRS Halo White 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew

Is there a reason not to go with B8?

I actually just ordered the B8 and sportlines lol

I tried looking up tons of info on the forums but it seems limited.

Big difference in comfort and daily driving on the B6/B8 paired with sportlines?
Roneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #25
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I believe the B8s have slightly less overall travel, but a bit more bump travel (the spring perch stays in the same position relative to the lower mount but the damper is a bit shorter). I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but RCE has had them side-by-side I think.

It seems like the B8s would be fine with eibachs since they offer that as a combo. Possibly better for many lower spring options and GC sleeves depending on height.

Last edited by jamal; 02-13-2017 at 08:54 PM.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
LenA (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #26
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
ST coilovers are probably the most comfortable (imo) for any drop in the area of 1.5"-2". if you're ok with having less of a drop, a combo set of quality lowering springs and shocks/struts should be more than sufficient. if neither of these are good enough, then i'd recommend just staying with stock suspension.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #27
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
yeah you have 230lb spring rates up front...doesn't get much softer than that.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #28
Roneezy

Drives: Scion FRS Halo White 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
ST coilovers are probably the most comfortable (imo) for any drop in the area of 1.5"-2". if you're ok with having less of a drop, a combo set of quality lowering springs and shocks/struts should be more than sufficient. if neither of these are good enough, then i'd recommend just staying with stock suspension.
As a product I received in the beginning, I'd say that yes this suspension is comfortable and didn't have any complaints.

But this is my 2nd set already and I'm not about to get a 3rd.

First ST Coilovers I had were great, but one sunny san diego day I was driving down the freeway on my way to work and wasn't able to slow down in time for the accident ahead of me. A semi truck had its load full of thick wooden construction material spread out and I ran over a couple pieces at around 40-50mph and ever since I felt a major degradtaion in the ride. I could literally feel everything that I couldn't feel before and it went down pretty bad. (Not mechanically sound so I apologize if I'm incorrect) I was thinking the dampers were destroyed possibly? I don't know but the ride went to shit lol.

So on to my 2nd set of ST's which are the replacements for ^. No accidents or damages this time and it was working fine and comfortable as expected. Then about 1.5-2 months ago the ride quality went downhill. City driving is decent, not expecting much especially with road imperfections. But for freeway use, the rear of my car is literally bouncing. Again before it was just fine, but now on freeway speeds(around 70-75) the car is literally bouncing and not as solid and stable as it was before. I can't cruise at all with the car being unstable.

I do not track nor drift nor any crazy stuff.
I daily drive the car with some spirited driving once every blue moon.
I have never even attempted to drift, burnout, etc.

So in short, yes the STs are comfortable but I've just had bad experience with them and am looking for something else. I don't slam the car either, I'm still able to put 2 fingers or so in the wheel gap.
Roneezy is offline   Reply With Quote