follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Xbox One vs PS4
Xbox One 138 30.13%
PS4 283 61.79%
Undecided 56 12.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #687
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Buying a brand-new console is the equivalent of buying current-generation mid-range video card and a slow CPU. You just won't be gimped by DRM, awful controls, and faulty hardware. Did I mention that the two PS3s I own have both failed? Yep. Neither work properly. POS. Neither of them are first gen. Sony just makes crappy consoles.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #688
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Buying a brand-new console is the equivalent of buying current-generation mid-range video card and a slow CPU. You just won't be gimped by DRM, awful controls, and faulty hardware. Did I mention that the two PS3s I own have both failed? Yep. Neither work properly. POS. Neither of them are first gen. Sony just makes crappy consoles.
I owned a 2nd gen and currently own a 5th gen and non of the gave me any issues.

The xbox on the other hand only lasted like 150hours of game play while the 2nd gen ps3 was kept on 24/7 doing folding @ home when not gaming...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #689
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I am 80% a PC gamer and 20% console gamer and I still agree with this statement.

You can't put together a gaming PC that will outperform the PS4 for $400. I love my PC. I am glad that now that I put the money into it I can just upgrade it. But in no way do I think it is cheaper than console gaming.
Honestly I think its definitely possible to build a gaming computer for $400 that will outperform the PS4. The specifications aren't all that great. I mean in raw power, in game performance might still be better on the PS4 due to it being a console and games being programmed directly to the platform.

The main advantage I see of a PC vs. a console is that yes, it is generally more expensive up front, but with that $800 PC you can keep upgrading if you need to as the years go on, while a PS4 your stuck with pretty much the same system.

And I'm tired of 1080p...
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #690
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
also some developers have problems with pushing the limits on a PC with a game, not because they can't. It is difficult because there are so many different combinations of PC builds and parts with different drivers and OS. They don't want to outcast the lower end gaming builders.

Lets say there's no such thing as a console in this world. Only gaming PCs. Would the games be more advanced and emersive today? Id think so. But consider this, with computer hardware advancing leaps every year, and like today, developers being demanded to stay on top of new technology, stresses the industry. Its likely games developed would cost several dollars more peaking to $100 per titles, and as a gamer, forced to upgrade your system once or twice a year, probably spending upwards of 400-800 annually to keep up with the new game trends.

I think consoles hold back on going too far on games both in a good and bad way. Developers can focus on a technology that will remain current for (x) amount of years. And push hardware capabilities without stressing development costs and worried about market projections going into a new quarter.

Had this been the case, I would be considered the low end builder probably able to play 10-20% of the current new titles, It wasn't until recently had I had a computer capable enough that could run CoDMW2 on PC using a similar graphical setting, framerate, and resolution as a xbox360/ps3. At about $500 just for the tower, not including the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

This is all just speculation, but i wager even if you can build a PC that rivals xbox1/ps4 at roughly $400-$600. You still spend several hundred dollars more to be "up-to-date" in your gaming needs periodically. vs just spending $1000-$2500 on a gaming hardware (console,tv,controllers) in a span of 10 years.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #691
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
also some developers have problems with pushing the limits on a PC with a game, not because they can't. It is difficult because there are so many different combinations of PC builds and parts with different drivers and OS. They don't want to outcast the lower end gaming builders.

Lets say there's no such thing as a console in this world. Only gaming PCs. Would the games be more advanced and emersive today? Id think so. But consider this, with computer hardware advancing leaps every year, and like today, developers being demanded to stay on top of new technology, stresses the industry. Its likely games developed would cost several dollars more peaking to $100 per titles, and as a gamer, forced to upgrade your system once or twice a year, probably spending upwards of 400-800 annually to keep up with the new game trends.

I think consoles hold back on going too far on games both in a good and bad way. Developers can focus on a technology that will remain current for (x) amount of years. And push hardware capabilities without stressing development costs and worried about market projections going into a new quarter.

Had this been the case, I would be considered the low end builder probably able to play 10-20% of the current new titles, It wasn't until recently had I had a computer capable enough that could run CoDMW2 on PC using a similar graphical setting, framerate, and resolution as a xbox360/ps3. At about $500 just for the tower, not including the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

This is all just speculation, but i wager even if you can build a PC that rivals xbox1/ps4 at roughly $400-$600. You still spend several hundred dollars more to be "up-to-date" in your gaming needs periodically. vs just spending $1000-$2500 on a gaming hardware (console,tv,controllers) in a span of 10 years.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/06/13/seven-reasons/
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #692
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
The main advantage I see of a PC vs. a console is that yes, it is generally more expensive up front, but with that $800 PC you can keep upgrading if you need to as the years go on, while a PS4 your stuck with pretty much the same system.

And yet, we compare titles like The Last of Us vs some of the PS3 launch titles, even big name ones like Resistance, and its night and day difference. When you have one set of hardware for everyone, you can learn to tweak and maximize your games to work VERY well on THAT set of hardware. You're "stuck" with the hardware, but games keep looking better and better every year.

Both of these two games run on the same console hardware:

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #693
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
You know these systems are nothing if not for the developers, and plenty developers are more inclined to develop for a unified system or technology cap like a console.

working with the "superior PC hardware" isn't a major selling point for devs in the bigger scheme of things. or at least what im told.

IMO I think the best games designed for PC are multi-function/macro/button, with active chat Like MMOs (WoW, GW2, Tera), MechWarrior, and RTS, slightly leaning to Racing games.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #694
Suffa

Drives: Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Its interesting to see PS4 still holds the majority. At least in this poll.
Suffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #695
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
And yet, we compare titles like The Last of Us vs some of the PS3 launch titles, even big name ones like Resistance, and its night and day difference. When you have one set of hardware for everyone, you can learn to tweak and maximize your games to work VERY well on THAT set of hardware. You're "stuck" with the hardware, but games keep looking better and better every year.

Both of these two games run on the same console hardware:

Yea I'm currently working on my (first) playthrough of Last of Us . Awesome game.

That being said, compared to PC console graphics just don't really do it for me anymore. I'm still very excited to see what comes of the PS4. If I was to buy any next gen consoles that would definitely be it.

EDIT: Here's some screenshots. I'm looking to build my next PC to look (potentially) better than below

And crysis 3 (not sure the specs)

Last edited by Sonolin; 06-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #696
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Honestly I think its definitely possible to build a gaming computer for $400 that will outperform the PS4. The specifications aren't all that great. I mean in raw power, in game performance might still be better on the PS4 due to it being a console and games being programmed directly to the platform.

Try... You have to include tower, HDD (or SSD), motherboard, graphics card, processor, ram, DVD drive, power source, and a LEGIT copy of Windows 7 (not one borrowed from a friend or your other computer).

And I agree about upgrading it, I even said that in my original post. I just don't think PC gaming is for everyone and I don't think console gaming is for everyone. I do both so I hate the answer "just get a PC". Yeah, it has better graphics but it also has a lot more headaches than just putting in a disc and chilling on the couch next to your wife/GF/whatever while she plays on her iPad.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #697
cfusionpm

Garage
My biggest thing with PC gaming is I always got sick of having to dink with the settings all the time through trial and error. I could always just crank it up and make everything look amazing, then I chug along at 5 frames per second. Then I start dialing everything back one by one till I'm a comfortable 30-50fps and it still looks pretty good, but not nearly as good as with everything maxed. So then I'm motivated to buy a new graphics card or whatever so I can max the settings. Then, 6 months later a new game comes out that runs like crap with the settings up and the cycle repeats. Been there done that in the 90s and early 2000s.

With a console, I buy a game specifically made for that hardware, I play the game and enjoy it. It looks like what it looks like, and I don't have to mess with everything to make it run at a smooth 60fps. The more games that come out, the better they look, and I don't have to do anything about it.

Regardless, I don't see anything in this thread title or original post about PCs. Dunno why it keeps coming up over and over...

Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #698
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Try... You have to include tower, HDD (or SSD), motherboard, graphics card, processor, ram, DVD drive, power source, and a LEGIT copy of Windows 7 (not one borrowed from a friend or your other computer).

And I agree about upgrading it, I even said that in my original post. I just don't think PC gaming is for everyone and I don't think console gaming is for everyone. I do both so I hate the answer "just get a PC". Yeah, it has better graphics but it also has a lot more headaches than just putting in a disc and chilling on the couch next to your wife/GF/whatever while she plays on her iPad.
400 is pretty close to impossible, but you can still build a great computer for not a whole lot of money that will last several years before needing upgrades.

Case - $40 dollar Rosewill
PSU - $45 430w Corsair
CPU - $119 A8-6600k
Mobo - $80 dollar FM3 board
HDD - $58 500GB WD Black
RAM - $50 2x4GB Crucial
GPU - $199 HD 7870
Total = $591

An ODD isn't necessary when you can boot from a flash drive. I can't think of the last time I used an optical drive, and they aren't even included on Ultrabooks anymore. But if you really, really have to have one, add 15 dollars.

Windows 8 has been on sale recently for as low as 30 bucks and can readily be found for 60. Or you can run Linux, which is free, and has some Steam support.

Quote:
My biggest thing with PC gaming is I always got sick of having to dink with the settings all the time through trial and error. I could always just crank it up and make everything look amazing, then I chug along at 5 frames per second. Then I start dialing everything back one by one till I'm a comfortable 30-50fps and it still looks pretty good, but not nearly as good as with everything maxed. So then I'm motivated to buy a new graphics card or whatever so I can max the settings. Then, 6 months later a new game comes out that runs like crap with the settings up and the cycle repeats. Been there done that in the 90s and early 2000s.

With a console, I buy a game specifically made for that hardware, I play the game and enjoy it. It looks like what it looks like, and I don't have to mess with everything to make it run at a smooth 60fps. The more games that come out, the better they look, and I don't have to do anything about it.

Regardless, I don't see anything in this thread title or original post about PCs. Dunno why it keeps coming up over and over...
That's just you wanting more power though. You can't hold it against the PC as a platform that it has the potential to be better. Think of it as the FRS, and a few years down the line it can't hang with the new hotness, so it's time for forced induction.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (06-25-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #699
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
That's just you wanting more power though. You can't hold it against the PC as a platform that it has the potential to be better. Think of it as the FRS, and a few years down the line it can't hang with the new hotness, so it's time for forced induction.
To me the FRS is more like a console. Much cheaper than its more powerful competition (S2000, 350Z/370Z, Caymen, etc), but still looks great and fun to drive.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #700
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
To me the FRS is more like a console. Much cheaper than its more powerful competition (S2000, 350Z/370Z, Caymen, etc), but still looks great and fun to drive.
...Except for the part where it is highly modular and customizable, which is pretty much opposite from a console.

I see it as more of a budget gaming PC. But, we're getting a little off topic here lol.

My point is, for $400 the consoles aren't very impressive at all. I can build a PC with similar specifications for +100-200 which really shows how bad these new consoles are (tech spec wise). Most of this is due to the fact that TV's have pretty crap resolution and game developers are unwilling to develop for 2000xYYYY resolution mostly because of this, so yea its not Sony's fault (lol Microsoft). The few games that run well on that look amazing on PC. Everything else looks very average. And yes, I'm talking PS3 exclusives as well, Crysis 3 is one of the only games I can think of that looks very good on PS3 (I've heard good things about the new Final Fantasy but haven't played it yet).

Oh and heard of Steam for Linux? Yea, there's not a whole lot of game support yet, but there's soon to be much more as Valve is looking to create a whole Steam ecosystem on linux and is pushing hard for Linux ports. This means completely free OS that has the potential to run a lot of good commercial games. Or you can pirate Windows, I sure as hell am not buying it (personal use - I have one for business of course).

Anyway, I definitely agree PC's aren't for everyone, but my point is if your willing to pay a little more, why not just buy a PC? That way, your not tied to 1 platform, you have something you can tweak and upgrade, and you can choose your own componenents and build a much more powerful machine.

I'm out now. Just my .02 don't meant to be an all PC or nothing elite overlord