follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #29
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well said.

More power would def be nice. I guess in the end, it's really just a tradeoff of what people are willing to settle/work/be content with: More power, but with more headache/maintenance/tuning vs. Stock'ish/Less power, but with less headache/maintenance/tuning.

Keep it up and look forward to your future vids
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #30
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you so much for that interview video! That basically made one of my dreams come true! I wanted to visit that Ohlins shop myself one day and see those sorts of things and ask those sorts of questions! Thank you, thank you!

Ohlins is simply one of those superior types of products that has incredible prestige and an extremely successful racing history. They've won on nearly every form of top level motorsport in the world. They even have mountain bike shocks! So they may be more expensive than any other but they are still in a do-able price range for mere mortals so if you're thinking of upgrading, Ohlins is the only choice worthwhile in my opinion.
Dezoris (01-24-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
elbrusz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
camber

great post! very informative!
quick question - what camber setting would the ohlins plate allow?
thanks
elbrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #32
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbrusz View Post
great post! very informative!
quick question - what camber setting would the ohlins plate allow?
thanks

With a 10mm drop we maxed out at -3.0 at the front.
This will vary slightly depending on the car.

If you drop the prescribed 20-25mm you'd probably see closer to -3.5

Last edited by Dezoris; 06-04-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #33
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Finally watched the video. Good work.

It was really good to hear about 1way vs 2way, external res. etc. I'm looking in this price point and I have noticed these option differences. However I certainly fall into the 90% bracket of people that aren't at an 'engineer level' of suspension theory/knowledge. I'm more of a try this setting, see if its better or worse, then try another. 2 ways, I've heard some horror stories of trying to get them right.

Regarding making the system more track orientated..
It was touched on a little, but not in any real detail. Changing spring rates sounded like the suggestion. Is it as simple as just ordering them with 10k or 12k springs, and the shock can work with that spring rate?

I'm on rsr coils with 7kg springs, and while a great dual purpose system, its gotten to the point now where they're not as track orientated as I would like. And I have found the 7kg spring rate too soft on budget semi slicks (achilles 123) so have not even bothered using a nt01/r888 yet.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #34
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
Finally watched the video. Good work.

It was really good to hear about 1way vs 2way, external res. etc. I'm looking in this price point and I have noticed these option differences. However I certainly fall into the 90% bracket of people that aren't at an 'engineer level' of suspension theory/knowledge. I'm more of a try this setting, see if its better or worse, then try another. 2 ways, I've heard some horror stories of trying to get them right.

Regarding making the system more track orientated..
It was touched on a little, but not in any real detail. Changing spring rates sounded like the suggestion. Is it as simple as just ordering them with 10k or 12k springs, and the shock can work with that spring rate?

I'm on rsr coils with 7kg springs, and while a great dual purpose system, its gotten to the point now where they're not as track orientated as I would like. And I have found the 7kg spring rate too soft on budget semi slicks (achilles 123) so have not even bothered using a nt01/r888 yet.

I think what you will find is for almost all of your track driving the stock rates are good. Its just if you want to get into a competitive mode like serious time trials you will likely have to go with higher spring rates.

There are a handful of us on here who have no issues with the car on track, street and autox so far, I feel the car is massively competitive and balanced. But I am also very very careful, I want a street car that can be good on the track. Not a hardened track car that feels like crap on street. That is hard to do, and thats where these dampers excel.

Thats where Jeff said if you need more hardened performance at the track you may need a spring swap since the dampers accept 2.5ID springs you have choices. These are not some half ass dampers, if you need help with changing rates they have engineering you can talk to and a real network of rebuilders etc.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #35
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
With a 10mm drop we maxed out at -2.2 at the front.
This will vary slightly depending on the car.

If you drop the prescribed 20-25mm you'd probably see closer to -2.7.
First, thanks for these thread(s), I like the mature full picture approach to modifying.

Just out of curiosity, can these be adjusted without any drop at all or even put the car a bit higher up? I like the idea of a higher spring rate and more suspension travel...

Won't do anything like that any time soon though. The light 16" wheels with balloon tires (-13lbs/corner) I have now gel very well with the stock suspension, improving ride yet giving more planted reactions at the same, which makes progress on twisty, bumpy roads very fluid...
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #36
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
First, thanks for these thread(s), I like the mature full picture approach to modifying.

Just out of curiosity, can these be adjusted without any drop at all or even put the car a bit higher up? I like the idea of a higher spring rate and more suspension travel...

Won't do anything like that any time soon though. The light 16" wheels with balloon tires (-13lbs/corner) I have now gel very well with the stock suspension, improving ride yet giving more planted reactions at the same, which makes progress on twisty, bumpy roads very fluid...

Thanks and yes you can go stock ride height no issue.

And as an update was able to get -3 out of the front plates at -10mm.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #37
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
after watching this video, I don't think Id be able to install coilovers on my own lol. I think Id be better off taking it to a shop.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #38
MadeInSweden

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Those will be my coilovers of choice! Thanks for a great video!
Nurburgring 07:42 BTG
MadeInSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #39
Dihudaxia

Drives: 86
Hi OP,

I have a strange question... recently purchased the Ohlins, and along with the instruction manual, they recommend fitting a spacer onto the front endlinks that is attached to the coilovers.

Did as told, but then i realised that with the T10 spacer on, the amount of available thread seems dramatically reduced to the point where the thread does not fully wind into the endlink nut.

Did you do the same and is this going to be any cause of concern?

Btw, am not running a stock endlink, mine is slightly shorted but the thread lenght is the same as the stock endlinks.
Dihudaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #40
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have no issues with stock endlinks + Ohlins-supplied spacer on my car.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #41
Dihudaxia

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I have no issues with stock endlinks + Ohlins-supplied spacer on my car.

-alex
Thanks Alex!

I will try to grab a photo of mine on the shortened endlinks, maybe you can advice me if its safe to run.

Either that or i swap back to my stock endlinks.

Hmmm...
Dihudaxia is offline   Reply With Quote