follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #141
BeRZed

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of adding the downpipe (catted and resonated) with my 2.5" axleback with 5" mufflers. Does the downpipe make it much louder? I want it to be slightly louder, but not overbearing.
BeRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #142
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRZed View Post
Thinking of adding the downpipe (catted and resonated) with my 2.5" axleback with 5" mufflers. Does the downpipe make it much louder? I want it to be slightly louder, but not overbearing.
If you get it with the resonator, no. I have it and it's perfectly civil. It'll be deeper and throatier.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raul For This Useful Post:
BeRZed (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #143
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRZed View Post
I just put the resonated and catted downpipe in and I like it so much more now. It is a little louder at WOT, but it drones less than with just the axleback. It's quieter on the highway now too.
Mad_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad_Mike For This Useful Post:
BeRZed (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #144
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Anybody had experience with the resonated but non-catted down pipe? How much more noise/smell does it add compared to the catted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #145
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertran View Post
Anybody had experience with the resonated but non-catted down pipe? How much more noise/smell does it add compared to the catted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually yes. Another local accidentally bought an uncatted one and we installed it while trying to find a catted one. It is louder than the catted one, it will pop/unload pretty loud, andou can hear the rumble more while on the throttle. It still sounds good if you like the more raw sound, but we both like the catted and resonated sound better.

Mad_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad_Mike For This Useful Post:
hyper4mance (03-11-2014), Mad1723 (03-11-2014), Ryan@Nameless (03-11-2014), tbertran (03-10-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #146
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Does the cat rob any power, i know from your website that your cats are top notch but wondering. I would use the catted version to keep things quiet.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #147
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Does the cat rob any power, i know from your website that your cats are top notch but wondering. I would use the catted version to keep things quiet.
They use Magnaflow cats as far as I know. Talking about maybe 1hp. The resonator does most of the work of keeping it quiet and reducing drone. My car has the axleback with 5" mufflers and op/fp combo catted and resonated. You can take a test drive so you can get an idea of in-cabin noise later.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #148
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The HFC also helps keep the smell down. Most folks won't appreciate the fuel smell we used to be used to smelling from car exhausts, now that we've gotten used to very emissions-conscious vehicles.

Plus, HFCs will help keep your tips from blackening up as quickly as they would if you ran catless.

For just 1hp of loss, I'd say it's worth it to have an HFC in the FP.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
yomny (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #149
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
They use Magnaflow cats as far as I know. Talking about maybe 1hp. The resonator does most of the work of keeping it quiet and reducing drone. My car has the axleback with 5" mufflers and op/fp combo catted and resonated. You can take a test drive so you can get an idea of in-cabin noise later.
I was looking at nameless's site they don't seem to have a mid pipe, just the front with over-pipe and the axle back? What about that mid section. I'l love to take a ride man and actually listen to it in person. I know nameless has a full 3" header back which must include a mid pipe but didn't see it in the other options with the 2.5" kits. Temping to go NA with their new stepped header, thing looks awesome but really want to keep things as quiet as possible.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #150
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Midpipe is already good for a 2.5" exhaust and therefore doesn't need modification. No performance gains, that is.

They do offer a midpipe for those going for a full 3" exhaust, though.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #151
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
I was looking at nameless's site they don't seem to have a mid pipe, just the front with over-pipe and the axle back? What about that mid section. I'l love to take a ride man and actually listen to it in person. I know nameless has a full 3" header back which must include a mid pipe but didn't see it in the other options with the 2.5" kits. Temping to go NA with their new stepped header, thing looks awesome but really want to keep things as quiet as possible.
Yes, they prototyped a midpipe and it made very little power. They can make it if you really want it, but it doesn't make sense since the power isn't nearly to the level of justifying the expense. I should be receiving my header relatively soon so that will give you an example of the noise level you might or might not have to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to raul For This Useful Post:
yomny (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #152
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
The only thing that I think would make a NP 2.5" midpipe worth it would be for putting an additional muffler into the exhaust track. That is, you want the NP 5" axlebacks, but running a catless header makes the whole deal too loud. THEN, putting in an additonal 5" muffler, but into the midpipe after the resonator would help quiet the system down immensely.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
yomny (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #153
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Yes, they prototyped a midpipe and it made very little power. They can make it if you really want it, but it doesn't make sense since the power isn't nearly to the level of justifying the expense. I should be receiving my header relatively soon so that will give you an example of the noise level you might or might not have to deal with.
That'll be awesome Raul, let me know, interested in seeing the header. Are you coating/wrapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
The only thing that I think would make a NP 2.5" midpipe worth it would be for putting an additional muffler into the exhaust track. That is, you want the NP 5" axlebacks, but running a catless header makes the whole deal too loud. THEN, putting in an additonal 5" muffler, but into the midpipe after the resonator would help quiet the system down immensely.
I may sound like a dumb face, specially after this being my second FRS but what size are our mid pipes? After market exhausts(2.5") fit and seal good? The whole idea of another resonator in there sounds good, specially after adding their header.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #154
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
That'll be awesome Raul, let me know, interested in seeing the header. Are you coating/wrapping?
Coating, should ship soon.