follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
D-VO

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Evo 8 RS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nameless Downpipe/Overpipe Install *pics*

Hey guys. I wanted to share my experience with the 3" DP/OP install, but first I want to share what happened which lead to the purchase. In June of 2014 I bought a C38 Kraftwerks supercharger kit but I wanted to keep everything quiet because I was on a little bit of a budget. So, I kept the factory header overpipe and downpipe, but upgraded the catback to a 2.5" Perrin resonated. To my suprise, about a week ago during start up I saw a few huge chunks of what appeared to be muffler packing being blown out of the exhaust.

I also noticed how bad the exhaust smelled. I thought either the factory or Perrin resonator or muffler was damaged by the broken cat somehow, but upon inspecting both resonators and mufflers I found no damage, only specks of cat converter stuck to the exhaust walls. After removing the DP which contains the second cat, I found that the catalyst was completely gone! I guess those secondary cats have muffler packing in them as well.

So I bought this guy:

Removing the downpipe was pretty straight forward, but the heatshield on the overpipe needed to be removed to make room for the twisting and turning that needed to happen. This part is removed by pulling the overpipe toward the front of the car. No Problem.

Getting the new DP in was where my problem started. Being that there is so little space to remove the DP to begin with, trying to get a larger unit in there is impossible especially with the 4 extra feet of pipe attached to it. So I had to lift the engine about 3 inches; but to do that I needed to take the front bumper off to remove the intake from the supercharger. It was also necessary to remove the plug and cable from the alternator.

Lucky for us there's only 2 14mm bolts inside the cradle holding the engine in place. The alignment of the bolts from the engine mounts do seem to become misaligned due to the angle its moving. I was a little worried that I would have to do some finagling with a pry bar but the mounts lined right back up when I lowered it.

There's really nowhere to lift the engine, so I chose to use a piece of wood on a jack to evenly disperse the wieght across the factory header. I'm sure there's a better way of doing this without compromising the header, but maybe I'll give myself an excuse to buy a header too.

A good indicator for the correct height the engine needs to be is this tab here by the ECU:

After that happened, I had just enough room to fit the front flange between the engine and cradle. I found the best thing to do here was to line up the bolts and finger tighten the bolts to the header before slowly lowering the engine back to its resting position.

The new downpipe clears the cradle by millimeters and currently on start up the DP rattles enough to strike the cradle. I didn't really feel like attempting to realign it at the time of the install, but I'm sure I can get it to clear the cradle a bit better.

Success! The new downpipe is installed and the exhaust note sounds nearly exactly as it did before the cat gutted itself. I did have to flatten out the bracket and straighten out the cat back aftwr install to make everything stop banging around in there. Overall its a great fit and of course the smell is gone. That was lots of fun. Now to check the tune.

Last edited by D-VO; 04-21-2016 at 10:16 AM.
D-VO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-VO For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (04-21-2016), fritzburg (12-29-2019)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Had the same pipe and the same rattle. Stiffer motor mounts solved fixed it for me.

Great write up!
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
D-VO (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
D-VO

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Evo 8 RS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Had the same pipe and the same rattle. Stiffer motor mounts solved fixed it for me.

Great write up!
Had? Did you have to remove it?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Freeman

Garage
Didn't have to. Got too old for a catless UEL header with a 3inch header back. Swapped to a 2.5 inch JDL overpipe and ultra quiet front pipe.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did this in any way make your exhaust system Louder?
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Freeman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rocky View Post
Did this in any way make your exhaust system Louder?

Yes
Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I made a video to demonstrate the sound difference on the car with just the Nameless axleback compared to the axleback plus downpipe

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7o7BG7a96A"]Nameless Axleback with Stock Downpipe and Namless Downpipe - Sound Comparison - YouTube[/ame]
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to revaholic For This Useful Post:
Crashdummy (10-07-2017)