follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #1
UberSpartan

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone in the PNW have a Tomei 60s I could listen to in person? (Perrin/nameless too)

I've been looking for a cat back and keep bouncing back to the tomei 60s, I'm just worried that videos will misrepresent it or that it will be pretty obnoxious. It would also be helpful if anyone has a hks, blitz, or apexi cat back, I'm really looking for a jdm cat back, cause it just tickles my fancy for some reason.

But I am also very open to perrin and nameless setups cause their good and local, perrin is located 3 minutes from where I work.

I'm in Portland, but am willing to drive if someone is willing to let me hear their car with a cat back. I really struggle to love how these cars sound, I love the chassis but hate the engine.

I'd appreciate any help any locals could give.
UberSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Depending on what header you have will change how the exaust note sounds too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
Ducati.Femme

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - Pearl White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I currently have just installed the Perrin 2.5 Resonated. No headers, just cat back for now. Happy to have you listen should you want to check it out.

Cheers!

I'm over near the Bethany/Tanasbourne area
Ducati.Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
UberSpartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Depending on what header you have will change how the exaust note sounds too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yup I know, I've wasted hours watching exhaust videos to find one I like, at this point I can take an educated guess at which brand of uel or if they're running catless el. For now I intend to leave the headers and ideally the front pipe stock with a stock tune. The car is my daily as well as using it for track days and auto cross so I am trying to go for peak reliability, and figure that an oil cooler with the stock tune that oem spent millions developing is probably best for that. Also the torque dip doesn't bother me at track now that I run 200tw tires since I can usually hold enough speed to stay out of the torque dip when dropping down to 2nd. Guess I should have specified stock headers though.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
UberSpartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati.Femme View Post
I currently have just installed the Perrin 2.5 Resonated. No headers, just cat back for now. Happy to have you listen should you want to check it out.

Cheers!

I'm over near the Bethany/Tanasbourne area
Thanks! I'd love to hear the Perrin, I'll send you a private message.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you’re wanting to hear titanium, I have an FactionFab twin exit titanium on stock system. Not JDM per se but probably as loud as the Tomei 60S you’re looking for. Over in the Cedar Hills area.
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
UberSpartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehigh55 View Post
If you’re wanting to hear titanium, I have an FactionFab twin exit titanium on stock system. Not JDM per se but probably as loud as the Tomei 60S you’re looking for. Over in the Cedar Hills area.
I'd love to hear it, Ceder hills is super close to me, I'm just off of the Sylvan exit (71B). I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #8
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
With the stock header I like the Nameless 6" offset the best with the Nameless high flow cat and resonator. With a catless header I like the Q300 best. I went through a few exhausts with my car. The Perrin sounds good but not quite as good as the Nameless. Tomei I didn't really care for. Drone can be an issue with catless headers with certain exhausts. I have the Nameless one before and after the header and after the catless header drone was an issue going up hills and since I went up a long hill daily on a freeway it got old quick. Feel free to check out my build thread and videos for any ideas or opinions.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
DuMa (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Agree. Catless header with Q300 sounds the best for me. in-cabin and outside.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I run catless UEL header + stock op + stock FP + stock MP+ Fujitsubo Authorize S Dual Axle-back Exhaust. Sounds good and zero drone. Just wish the cold start on the UEL headers without cats wasn't so loud.

I'd all plus one with catted headers the nameless axle-back with mufflers is an amazing sounding exhaust. It does have some drone once you remove the cat in the header. IMHO the best sounding exhaust it just comes with some compromise.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
I've got a full exhaust setup for sale here in the PNW and have a video too if you're interested. MXP Comp RS. I absolutely loved it. Uknown brand up-pipe, uknown brand catless dual resonator mid-pipe and stock header. It wasn't overly loud, but when you got on it, it definitely had a mean growl to it.

Unfortunately not on the car anymore due to it totaling, was going to put it on the new BRZ but this one has a phenomenal exhaust already so
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you want a straight through, piss off your neighbors exhaust that makes "all the power", I'm selling my TF Works Race system. This way you'll save the $$ on Tomei.

I'm also selling my Tanabe Concept G cat back and this is my favorite. It's looks great and sounds brilliant but I have to let it go because I need to squeeze out every precious 1/10th of a HP I can to stay competitive.

I'll make you a hell of a deal on 2 systems - $200 for 1 or $300 for both. If you're so inclined - I'll even bring them to you in Portland on the weekend of the 15th to make easy.

The Tanabe Medallion Concept G cat back
And
The TF Works Modular Race catback with modified Tanabe front pipe!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=2191

Tags
cat back, exhaust, nameless, perrin, tomei