follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: Coilovers?
Ohlins R&T V2 15 78.95%
HKS Hipermax IV GT 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
innocentguy
Person

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ohlins R&T V2 vs HKS Hipermax IV GT

I've been eyeing some coilovers for a while and I've decided that it's down to Ohlins and HKS. So just wondering about peoples opinions about them and if people have used both before and can make comparison between the two.
My car is going to be set up for mostly daily driving with the occasional track day here and there. Thanks.
innocentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho for R&T V2 MP21 imho worth considering fitting them with optional 50/50 N/mm springs, as default of 40/30 might turn out way too soft, if track use is considered too.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The Ohlins with camber plates are going to be like twice the price of the HKS. I have read the Ohlins can't go as low as most other coilovers for these cars and I believe the endlink brackets are not in the standard position. The Ohlins dampers are really good, though. The HKS have become really popular lately but I have not seen them properly compared to other options on the market.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
Swisher Seattle (10-05-2022)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I have both Ohlins and HKS Hypermax IV GT though on different cars/platforms.

I would only recommend the HKS IVGT if your doing less than 1-2 track days in a year and the car is a daily driver. But, HKS offers the Hypermax IV SP for track use for a good reason. If you do a fair share of performance driving the Ohlins Road AND TRACK will pay for themselves in smiles. The IVGT can absolutely be used on the track but, once you start to adjust it up your going to notice a bit more trade off you wouldn't with the Ohlins.

Pros for the HKS HPIV GT
-Half price.
-Include camber plates
-Longer Service/Rebuild Intervals

Pros for the Ohlins Mi20
-A much better ride at both ends of adjustment
-DFV's ability to soak up potholes and bumps is a huge plus
-Big USA location making rebuilds a bit faster. (I do believe HKS now too has a usa location)

That being said I've never regretted either coilover. I don't kid myself and call my fatass EvoX a track car. So having the extra $1200 to spend elsewhere on the car to improve my car's quality of life (read more hersepwrs) was well worth it. And on my BRZ ts, I could never forgive myself for putting anything but, a great coilover on the car that actually an improvement over the factory tuned sti suspension.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-28-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
innocentguy
Person

Drives: GT86
Thanks for the good info. I'm probably be going to get the ohlins then in that case seeing as it's better to just get the right ones from the get go. How is adjusting the alignment with the coilovers on?
innocentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #6
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No experience with the HKS setup, but love my Ohlins for driving around town and the occasional autox. Shop had no issue adjusting alignment to my requested specs.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentguy View Post
Thanks for the good info. I'm probably be going to get the ohlins then in that case seeing as it's better to just get the right ones from the get go. How is adjusting the alignment with the coilovers on?

On the Ohlins I assume? Same as factory adjustment if you reuse the top front strut mounts. I did not swap mine over and instead I went with Raceseng cascam adjustable plates from ft86 speed factory. They have an option specifically for the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh the irony of this thread. I was actually looking at these as well! Good info

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:00 AM   #9
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
I love my ohlins, i currently have the 5k spring set, they are nice and smooth when dampening is turned down low, and its nice for autox too.

However, i was using both front and rear vorshlag tophats, and i couldnt really lower the car the way i wanted, i ran out of adjustment in the rear, i really wanted to go another half inch in the rear or so

at some point im going to get the 1 inch raceseng rear tophats

and revalve to 7k springs.

Also SPL endlinks are too big in diameter to work with mounting location for the front, i am actually going to order hotchkis at somepoint this week
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
We ran the Ohlins on our first shop BRZ, first with the (at the time) standard 6 kg/mm springs than swapped to 8 kg/mm springs. Great valving. Couple of little details that aren't great that have been mentioned. The narrow height adjustment range is one of them.

We do still sell them! With the 5 kg/mm springs, they're a pretty good street set up.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #11
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
We ran the Ohlins on our first shop BRZ, first with the (at the time) standard 6 kg/mm springs than swapped to 8 kg/mm springs. Great valving. Couple of little details that aren't great that have been mentioned. The narrow height adjustment range is one of them.

We do still sell them! With the 5 kg/mm springs, they're a pretty good street set up.

- Andrew
@Racecomp Engineering Can you comment on the new SUU MP22 versions? What type of changes have been made to valving etc. versus the previous SUS MP21? Do the new SUU MP22 versions include top mounts?

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2012...oyota&model=86

I feel like they release a new revision every year. The USA Ohlins site also has a product section for their new "Dedicated" series but as of yet it's only Porsche and BMW applications. We know they developed a set for this platform based on a user that posted it but he's gone MIA (couldn't have chosen a worse development/beta tester).
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
@Racecomp Engineering Can you comment on the new SUU MP22 versions? What type of changes have been made to valving etc. versus the previous SUS MP21? Do the new SUU MP22 versions include top mounts?

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2012...oyota&model=86

I feel like they release a new revision every year. The USA Ohlins site also has a product section for their new "Dedicated" series but as of yet it's only Porsche and BMW applications. We know they developed a set for this platform based on a user that posted it but he's gone MIA (couldn't have chosen a worse development/beta tester).
All of the changes over the years has been frustrating. Some of those changes have been welcome while other's have been steps backward.

Top mounts are now optional at extra cost, which IMO is a good way to do things. It makes sense for those interested in a street oriented coilover...OEM mounts work well for that and that's where these coilovers have shifted focus to over the years. But it's also good for those that want a different camber plate with more features and maybe a more robust spherical bearing than the kind of standard type camber plate that comes on the Ohlins coilovers.

The latest sets come with the 5 kg/mm front and rear spring set up right now. We make sure to specify that at this point. The coilovers are valved appropriately for those springs and it is quite good. We were not really into the super soft set up and we have not tried the Ohlins "dedicated" set up. We have done some custom valved track set ups in the past with some success.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 AM   #13
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SUU MP22? Looks like recent addition (all previous kits were prefixed SUS). Also MP22.
I wonder what might changes be. So far more or less get what differences are between previous versions of MI20, MP20, MP21. Would appreciate for someone to post what's new in MP22.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #14
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
All of the changes over the years has been frustrating. Some of those changes have been welcome while other's have been steps backward.

Top mounts are now optional at extra cost, which IMO is a good way to do things. It makes sense for those interested in a street oriented coilover...OEM mounts work well for that and that's where these coilovers have shifted focus to over the years. But it's also good for those that want a different camber plate with more features and maybe a more robust spherical bearing than the kind of standard type camber plate that comes on the Ohlins coilovers.

The latest sets come with the 5 kg/mm front and rear spring set up right now. We make sure to specify that at this point. The coilovers are valved appropriately for those springs and it is quite good. We were not really into the super soft set up and we have not tried the Ohlins "dedicated" set up. We have done some custom valved track set ups in the past with some success.

- Andrew
I share your frustration from a buyers perspective as well.

I would like to run some aggressive 200TW or less tires (RE71r/A052) on these and I want to make sure the 5/5k spring rates will support that while the car still functions as a daily driver with the occasional track day.

I would also like to know if the valving on these dampers support 6k/6k or 7k/7k spring rates or would that be really pushing them beyond their intended use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
SUU MP22? Looks like recent addition (all previous kits were prefixed SUS). Also MP22.
I wonder what might changes be. So far more or less get what differences are between previous versions of MI20, MP20, MP21. Would appreciate for someone to post what's new in MP22.
See above for Racecomp's reply.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote