follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #43
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
How much HP are you running? How about adding a bigger oil pan too? You just need bigger everything! May be some ducting so all the coolers aren't in the same path. You could keep the laminova for quick warm up and not worrying about overcooling the coil. It's not like running a constant 6krpm in 2nd gear is a normal way of driving. Not much air going through the coolers, but a lot of heat being generated.
I'm putting down around 330 whp right now. Good call on the oil pan.. I'll have to consider that. I wasn't holding 6k, but going through the revs (3k-6k), up and down, but yes, that is at a lower speed than we'd normally see at the track.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #44
Brzzee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRBP Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
Now this I like

• Laminova Heat Exchanger Core
• Fully CNC machined, 6061-T6 Aluminum
• Anodized for corrosion protection
• Sealed with Buna-N and Viton o-rings
• Overall Dimensions: 2 3⁄16" x 8 5⁄8"

$345

Found this link to the company that makes this assembly.

http://www.aaperf.com/contact.html

Smallish. Directed at the large engine watercooled motorcycle community.

I asked if they have a larger units or if this unit could be scaled up with the largest Mocal Laminova core. I'll report what they say.

Cheers
102F in the shade of my Dallas suburb backyard.
Brzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #45
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Like @jsimon7777 said this cooler is only effective if the radiator you are using is not at it's limit. Technically you aren't dumping any more heat into the cooling system by adding this cooler (NA or supercharged, Turbo is another story) you are just getting the heat there faster. Without this cooler the oil will heat the block and then the block will be cooled by the coolant. Add the cooler and u just cool the oil without having to fist heat the block. The engine is a closed system.

I am hoping that the OEM radiator will have enough cooling capacity for the innovate supercharger @ 250 WHP on a warm day at the track. My custom radiator/oil cooler setup worked GREAT. But it was a larger rad.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #46
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzzee View Post
Found this link to the company that makes this assembly.

http://www.aaperf.com/contact.html

Smallish. Directed at the large engine watercooled motorcycle community.

I asked if they have a larger units or if this unit could be scaled up with the largest Mocal Laminova core. I'll report what they say.

Cheers
102F in the shade of my Dallas suburb backyard.
Hope you emailed them, I did and no response. Hopefully when a lot of inquiries comes in they will pay attention more.
Moto-East Flex-Fuel Kit (Almost running 100% E85 all the time)
DW 700 cc Injectors-Tune by (Moto-East)-KW Oil Cooler
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #47
Brzzee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRBP Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A&A emailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
Hope you emailed them, I did and no response. Hopefully when a lot of inquiries comes in they will pay attention more.
I emailed them. Might call them later in the week if no response.
Brzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #48
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
@jsimon7777, I have a Koyo radiator with added foam and ducting to direct the flow of air to the radiator (and also a big intercooler in the path ). I'll be trying an air-to-oil cooler next.
You running regular gas, not e85? I wonder how much of a cooling effect e85 has on engine operation. At Laguna Seca today, my car ran surprisingly cool, as in I pulled in, popped the hood, and noticed no difference from normal running. I'll log oil and coolant temps when I'm at Thunderhill. See how that goes.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #49
mkivsoopra

Already on E85

Quote:
You running regular gas, not e85? I wonder how much of a cooling effect e85 has on engine operation. At Laguna Seca today, my car ran surprisingly cool, as in I pulled in, popped the hood, and noticed no difference from normal running. I'll log oil and coolant temps when I'm at Thunderhill. See how that goes.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #50
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Already on E85
Run richer on WOT? It might hurt power a little, but it can cool the cylinder. AFAIK, most stock tunes do just that. I wonder what your EGT is like.

The Jackson supercharged FRS I saw today put off waves of heat. I was stunned. And cooked.

Really, though, I'd do whatever I can to increase the oil volume. It won't get rid of the heat, but it will let you suck up more heat to get rid of later. You can also run both solutions together, the air and water-cooled ones, though you might get oil pressure issues.

BTW, whenever I see your name, all I think is "poopra".
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #51
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
No heat issues here running hard in the south with no oil cooler. Just a massive 8qt oil pan.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #52
mkivsoopra

Quote:
Run richer on WOT? It might hurt power a little, but it can cool the cylinder. AFAIK, most stock tunes do just that. I wonder what your EGT is like.

The Jackson supercharged FRS I saw today put off waves of heat. I was stunned. And cooked.

Really, though, I'd do whatever I can to increase the oil volume. It won't get rid of the heat, but it will let you suck up more heat to get rid of later. You can also run both solutions together, the air and water-cooled ones, though you might get oil pressure issues.

BTW, whenever I see your name, all I think is "poopra".
Haha, I did consider running both in series, but yes, I was concerned about the pressure drop too. I guess I should get more gauges... Hmm
Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #53
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Haha, I did consider running both in series, but yes, I was concerned about the pressure drop too. I guess I should get more gauges... Hmm
Element Tuning was doing good work with the oil pressure stuff. I think Full Blown might have some kind of solution too.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #54
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

The laminova affects are drowned out by the oil and coolant already running through the turbo at the same time. When turhoed you in a sense already have one...its just slightly heated. Same problem with the Forrester oil cooler. Great products for a na car. Or a non water cooled turbo car. Turbo needs a big assist oil cooler and a deep sump pan. Factory radiator should do fine if you can vent the engine bay somehow and get oil capacity up.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #55
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The laminova affects are drowned out by the oil and coolant already running through the turbo at the same time. When turhoed you in a sense already have one...its just slightly heated. Same problem with the Forrester oil cooler. Great products for a na car. Or a non water cooled turbo car. Turbo needs a big assist oil cooler and a deep sump pan. Factory radiator should do fine if you can vent the engine bay somehow and get oil capacity up.
I do not think this is true. First, a turbo can get hot, like glowing even, so I do not think oil going out will be cooler than oil going in. Second, the collar thing for the OEM cooler has a relatively small surface area for heat transfer. The laminova cores have more surface area and more efficient heat transfer. It sounds like poopra just has a shit load of heat.

One other thing. If going laminova for the oil cooler, you could also have a separate radiator with it's own water loop. That's what Innovate uses for their intercooler. It's not plumbed into the regular system. It wouldn't make sense to since they're trying to cool air. A separate look coupled with a thermostat could do some good. Then the water stays cool until it needs to cool the oil.

So many options.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #56
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

What im saying is using coolant to cool the oil is silly when you already have them running through the turbo together much like the laminova. It will never be able to cool at a faster rate than the turbo heats under boost. You essentially have two of these things in the system. Except one is a hot freaking turbo and the other is just well a kinda hot tube.
Now if it had its OWN heat exchanger like an air to water intercooler that could be cool. But very space consuming.