follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
DNAist

Drives: FR-S Raven Monogram
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Am I out of luck??

Hi everyone (first post),

I was debating purchasing the FR-S and the BRZ this summer and started to look at my options. I prefer all the options of the BRZ limited sport-tech package but dislike its front bumper/mustache appearance. The sales rep at Scion mentioned the Monogram model for the FR-S so I placed a down payment for the 2014 Monogram FR-S Raven MT model on April 7th. I also had my credit checked and approved for financing. Unfortunately, I was advised on April 12th that the dealership was not able to secure a manual transmission model due to its limited production (in any color in Ontario).

So here are my options:
1) I would have to pay full price and pay approximately 2000$ to transport it from a few provinces (adding an additional $4000 to the cost of the vehicle). Is it really worth it?

2) Buy the BRZ limited and swap the front ends - I've been researching here and noticed that someone swapped the front end of the BRZ with the FR-S and was wondering if its easy and how much it would cost. Do I need to buy the FR-S fog and signal lights?

3) Buy the Standard FR-S Model, add fog lights, navigation system, the heated seat modification to the standard cloth seats, TRD rear spoiler, and accept the loss of non-transferable BRZ features. This option brings the price of the car to pretty much the base price of the BRZ limited.

4) Buy an aftermarket front bumper kit that fits the BRZ with fog lights like INGS. There's not many available unfortunately and it would probably cost less to pay for option 1).

5) Paint the front lip the same color of the car and replace the grill to black mesh grill to offset that mustache look.

6) Wait until the 2015s are out in the fall and hope for a 2015 Monogram. I don't like the the look of the yellow FR-S 1.0 or the white/WRB BRZ tS that has been discussed.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

P.S I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, I am a newbie.
DNAist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
1. Worth is really something only you can judge.
2. It's possible, but it seems like a good amount of work, and unless someone wants a direct swap, sourcing the parts is going to cost over 2k.
3. Seems like a lot of $ to get close to, but not at exactly what you want.
4. Agreed.
5. This could look ok, or turn out badly. You might love, like or hate it. Not worth the risk IMO.
6. This seems like your best option if you don't want to spend 2k extra.

I've got another option for you:

7. Secure a MT Monogram somewhere else and buy a plane ticket to that city, drive the car back. Likely way less than 2k, and you get a road trip and great story out of it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
7. Secure a MT Monogram somewhere else and buy a plane ticket to that city, drive the car back. Likely way less than 2k, and you get a road trip and great story out of it.
I was going to suggest the same thing, but you don't even need to fly.

Have you checked out the Gatineau/Montreal Scion dealers to see if they have any monograms?
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
I thought the same thing when I was going to buy my BRZ/FRS, however I couldnt find an FRS to buy. Just one BRZ existed, I bought it and I think I like its bumper better now. Maybe its grown on me, maybe it looks more grown up. Idk but dont let it decide which car you buy.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1 for fly out and drive it back.. Unlikely.. but maybe you can make a deal with the dealer to reimburse you for the flight ... I got that deal on a bike I bought in Seattle.
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Trac Toy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Buy the regular plain FRS. It's the fastest. All the rest of those add ons weigh more and slow the car down. 😜
Trac Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just note that Quebec got allocated far less than Ontario did so don't wait to long to phone around around.

Have you test driven the AT yet? There has been nothing but praise for the AT on this forum, and a lot of engineering went into making the AT not lose any of its "fun-to-drive" feel. I know its not what you want, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm forcing you, but you never know if your mind might change after a test-drive. There has been plenty of members who have said they ended up liking it, and it adds a sense of comfort for being stuck in traffic.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
What colour are you looking for? I can look behind the scenes and see where they all are.
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac Toy View Post
It's the fastest. ��
You mean a 15.3 vs a 15.5?

It's lighter, sure. but unless you're building a dedicated track car I think the creature comforts of HIDs, heated things, nav, a nice stereo outweigh the few tenths you might gain in the mile, or 0-60, especially when you are going to daily drive the car. The only way to make this car fast is with FI, and at that point all the adders don't really matter anymore.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
DNAist

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses so far.

I've had three cars, all of which have been old vehicles (my current one is a rusty 1999 Honda Civic) so this purchase means alot to me. I've been saving for quite some time after finally finishing paying off my student loans and I want to be happy with the car I end up choosing.

I test drove the automatic FR-S and it was fun but I feel that I will get more enjoyment out of the car as a manual. I've been taking lessons with Proshift and I am looking forward to taking either the FR-S/BRZ for a rip. My commute to and from work is about 10km (sans highway) so I'm not really worried about traffic.

I checked the price of a plane ticket and with added hotels along the way and gas money, its not cost efficient.

I've contacted numerous dealers in the GTA and Montreal area (driveable distance) and hope they will get back to me early next week but with what firstscion mentioned, I might be SOL.

that_guy - If you could check behind the scene, that would be really nice of you and appreciated! I would take either black or white.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Superhatch
AIM4APX

BRZ = 2762
FRS = 2758

As per Scion and Subaru websites.

Assume that's both base models. Now add heated seats, mirrors, HIDs, nav system, rear wing, telescoping steering wheel and you probably gain..100lbs over the base model?

Well, Edmonds.com says 2776 for the BRZ limited, the heaviest of the bunch and they list the same weight as the Subaru site, 2762. After spending the last 10m looking at the weights I don't think it's as big a difference as most people think it is.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAist View Post
I checked the price of a plane ticket and with added hotels along the way and gas money, its not cost efficient.
Who said anything about hotels!

Best of luck with whichever way you go!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
DNAist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
Who said anything about hotels!

Best of luck with whichever way you go!
LOL!!! I wouldn't want to crash it..after a few days of driving I would need to sleep.....Unless the pure excitement of driving this new beast is enough?!?!

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
honestly, just get the limited brz.

like you, i was big on the frs bumper, like it was a deal or no deal but as i own the frs more and more, both bumpers grew on me and i wish i had bought a limited brz, those extra features for 5k more is definately worth the price tag.

shit, if they ever make a turbo version of our car, i am most likely selling my current and jumping ship, that or the new FT-1.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, frs