follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Factory Bumper Beam Mod.....
I don't want to modify the factory bumper beam in any way at all. It must be left 100% stock. 66 52.38%
I'm okay with totally ditching the factory bumper beam. 7 5.56%
I'm okay with replacing the beam with a suitable aftermarket unit. 50 39.68%
I'm okay with notching the beam to allow one or more intercooler pipes to pass through. 17 13.49%
I'm okay with notching the entire middle section of the beam for an intercooler.. 7 5.56%
I'm okay with taking a hole saw to swiss cheese the bumper beam for air flow purposes. 6 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Voted, Stock unless dedicated race car
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Keep the votes and comments coming in guys. We appreciate the comments..... good, bad, and ugly.

Just so there is no confusion, our current turbo system arrangement requires ZERO mods to the front bumper beam or any sheet metal on the car and that will not change on the production set-up.

We just want to see want direction we should go with when/if we decide to pursue an RS version of our current set-up, which will be oriented towards the more serious track guys. This won't happen anytime soon, but we just want to think ahead. Thanks again!
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
scraejtp

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this somewhat in response to the IAT brought up in your other thread? Were temperatures a little higher than you expected?
scraejtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post
Is this somewhat in response to the IAT brought up in your other thread? Were temperatures a little higher than you expected?
Absolutely not. We have no issues with IAT's whatsoever. If anything, not having the turbo in the engine bay makes everything a lot cooler.

It seems that some people wanted to see a short intercooler pipe routing, but at the same time don't want to modify the bumper support so we were a bit confused.

Judging from this poll though, it seems that quite a number of people are okay with an aftermarket bumper support so we may go this direction if we decide to develop an RS version of our turbo system later on down the road.

Either way though, our upcoming turbo system will retain an untouched bumper support so no worries there.
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Agreed, cars are death machines after all no matter where you drive them. Removing safety features is not a good thing regardless of where you drive it.
People forget these are multi-ton steel death traps we're driving at heinous speeds, with our soft bodies travelling at the same rate (inertia) inside of them.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Z-PDX

Drives: 3 series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Whatever... No prob with replacement bars.

My experience is that insurance has zero issue with replacing aftermarket parts damaged in a crash. You may want to check your policy for specific exclusions and edit the policy as needed.

Btw, for of arm chair engineers, crumple zones are in the structure of the vehicle. However, airbag sensors are calibrated with me components in mind. My guess is at a rigid beam would make the bags more likely to pop in an accident although the timing would likely be off from ideal.
Z-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Outlawstar98
SLOW BRZ

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Voted. I removed it on my last car to put a huge FMIC in there, it also replaced it some with a steel beam on top of where the mount points would have been for the crash beam. This convo is always making some people angry. To each their own.