follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #99
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Drives: Cool Car
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The question is, if the Vortech kit had been available when you bought your P&L kit, would you go back and buy the Vortech kit?
i have an avo kit, and i wouldn't go back for the vortech. My two cents. It's not a P&L, but it is a turbo.
killerkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killerkid08 For This Useful Post:
2forme (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #100
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
The original question about reliability lies in hands of the owner and the diligence of their maintenance. I recommend doing your own install if, and only if, you feel comfortable doing so. Doing it yourself gives you a very intimate understanding of how the thing works, where things could go wrong, and the pride of ownership of your work leads to more desire to keep the thing in top running order. I've gotten a little over 10k trouble free miles out of my P&L Motorsports kit and I can't stop recommending it to anyone within earshot. There are some things that will be tough depending on your skill sets and experience, depending on the kit you go with.

Just remember that the more power you go for the more you need to pay attention too how the car is running. 7-8lbs of boost is very easy for this car to handle, nets some good gains, and won't stress the drivetrain too much. 12 PSI is where the car will likely run into a wall at the current compression ratio for pump gas and also where the stock clutch is woefully incapable of doing its job. So on and so forth.

Also don't forget the supporting mods for the car, you'll need gauges with a turbo setup, at the very least a Boost gauge. You'll want to consider a fuel pump upgrade and injectors as well. Wheels and tires are another thing you'll need to make sure are up to the task, 240-260WHP doesnt sound like a whole bunch but my car with "only" 260WHP will spin 255/35/18 tires without trying. This is where your suspension comes into play, camber and toe adjustments will need to be made to help the rear hook up. Different spring rates for the rear will help get the car to transfer weight over the rear wheels...I just recently swapped the front springs on my KW's to the rear and it was a night and day difference on how the car reacted to the throttle.

Most people (not all) just see the turbo kit as a "fix" to the power deficit this car has, but in truth slapping a turbo on a mostly stock car might be fun for a little bit, but it will make driving it more work and also more dangerous. Turbo power comes on hard and fast with this engine, max boost is hit so easily and so early in the RPM range on these 7-8 PSI kits that you have all of your torque available at just 4500rpm in some cases.

As for the supercharger route...I honestly have to say go with the Vortech, I finally drove Gmooker's car with the Vortech and it is pretty awesome the linearity of the power is definitely the strongest selling point of the kit, it's easy to drive it fast and to be honest it is deceptively quick. I think my turbo kit at 7 PSI will edge it out in a 1/4 mile dash, but it would be extremely close, and with all things being equal I think the Vortech would be easier to live with on a daily basis.

I love my turbocharged FR-S, but i would be lying if I didn't say that i also like the Vortech kit as well.
double down and twin charge it !
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #101
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkid08 View Post
double down and twin charge it !
Because the only thing better than boost on a high compression motor running pump gas is MORE BOOST.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #102
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
Because the only thing better than boost on a high compression motor running pump gas is MORE BOOST.
This.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #103
Kochinopride

Drives: 13 FR-S, 12 CLS AMG, 05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The question is, if the Vortech kit had been available when you bought your P&L kit, would you go back and buy the Vortech kit?
I wouldn't have gone with Vortech if it was available... I plan on doing crazy things with my P&L kit even after Stage II is completed. I want that POW-WAHR!
2011 Land Rover LR4
2013 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
Kochinopride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #104
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
Exactly ! lol....