follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #15
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
An overkill of moderation? I suppose that's one way to look at it. But I'm gonna leave this one here for you...

o·ver·kill
ˈōvərˌkil
noun
noun: overkill
excessive use, treatment, or action; too much of something.
"animators now face a dilemma of technology overkill"
synonyms: excess, embroidery, embellishment, hyperbole, gilding the lily
"many patients are demanding a battery of tests that their doctors consider overkill"
the amount by which destruction or the capacity for destruction exceeds what is necessary.
"the existing nuclear overkill"
You didn't get the context. It's ok. If you have a beater, park the fun car....no need for all seasons.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I too run all seasons in the winter. Good choice for the Mid-Atlantic.

maybe if you live in some place that is flat and you dont need to get anywhere at any given point in time...
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You didn't get the context. It's ok. If you have a beater, park the fun car....no need for all seasons.
BRZ is too nice to leave parked most of the winter.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 AM   #18
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I prefer not to leave a car sitting for more than 2 weeks if I can help it. I'm sure others are in the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
maybe if you live in some place that is flat and you dont need to get anywhere at any given point in time...
Or know how to drive in the snow and plan ahead. A good set of all seasons and decent driving will get you where you want to go in most conditions. 95% of the time the main roads and highways are treated and plowed if there is snow anyway.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #19
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I prefer not to leave a car sitting for more than 2 weeks if I can help it. I'm sure others are in the same situation.
Two weeks is a time limit for you, why? Lot of people put their fun cars up for winter or have projects that they dont drive often.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
Rai-zero

Where I live hardly anyone uses winter tires. I’m the only one that does (as far as people I know and that’s a lot of people). I’d like to have snow tires in the snow but 99% of the time the roads are clear of Snow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #21
Breadman

Quote:

Or know how to drive in the snow and plan ahead. A good set of all seasons and decent driving will get you where you want to go in most conditions. 95% of the time the main roads and highways are treated and plowed if there is snow anyway.

id pay good money to watch an arm chair winterdriver drive in 20%+ snow covered roads in pittsburgh with all seasons. id literally pay for your gas to watch you attempt to drive up say elanor street in 1.5" of unplowed slush
Old 11-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
id pay good money to watch an arm chair winterdriver drive in 20%+ snow covered roads in pittsburgh with all seasons. id literally pay for your gas to watch you attempt to drive up say elanor street in 1.5" of unplowed slush
Where you gonna find one of those?

That's a mighty intense grade on that one. Might have to be smart and not take the road that goes directly up a hill, but rather take a longer but shallower route.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #23
Breadman

Quote:
Where you gonna find one of those?

That's a mighty intense grade on that one. Might have to be smart and not take the road that goes directly up a hill, but rather take a longer but shallower route.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~abm/pgh_hills.html

next question, or are you just going to continue giving shitty advice that is going to get someone hurt?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~abm/pgh_hills.html

next question, or are you just going to continue giving shitty advice that is going to get someone hurt?
I haven't given advice, at all, to anyone. I started by supporting Ria-zero's already-made decision. He is in a similar situation to me, and I believe he made the right call based on my experience. After that, I simply have said what I have done, and continue to do in my situation when challenged by people who feel the need to tell others how wrong they are because it's different than what they do.

You clearly feel strongly on this matter, and if there is some personal experience you would like to share regarding winter driving, you have our attention. Otherwise, please spare us the outrage. It makes it seem like you are trying to be a hero in a story that doesn't need one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
Breadman

Quote:
I haven't given advice, at all, to anyone. I started by supporting Ria-zero's already-made decision. He is in a similar situation to me, and I believe he made the right call based on my experience. After that, I simply have said what I have done, and continue to do in my situation when challenged by people who feel the need to tell others how wrong they are because it's different than what they do.

You clearly feel strongly on this matter, and if there is some personal experience you would like to share regarding winter driving, you have our attention. Otherwise, please spare us the outrage. It makes it seem like you are trying to be a hero in a story that doesn't need one.
oh my bad i guess "Or know how to drive in the snow and plan ahead. A good set of all seasons and decent driving will get you where you want to go in most conditions." was just drunk rambling from yo. which brings me back to my original point, maybe if you drive only on flat. either way any car that drives in freezing temps should be running winter tires period. regardless of snow or hill
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #26
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
oh my bad i guess "Or know how to drive in the snow and plan ahead. A good set of all seasons and decent driving will get you where you want to go in most conditions." was just drunk rambling from yo. which brings me back to my original point, maybe if you drive only on flat. either way any car that drives in freezing temps should be running winter tires period. regardless of snow or hill
Please keep in mind the context in which that was said. Is it impossible that someone in a "cold" climate can get around in the winter with all season tires? I've spent most of my life in upstate NY and New England. I can assure you that 80-90% of the people there do not have winter or snow tires and actually drive better in the snow than normal because they are typically focused on getting to where they are going safely rather than quickly. Knowing how to drive in the snow and planning ahead like that works well for me.

This by no means should be taken as "Nobody should ever have snow tires" because that's just not true. Winter and snow tires are a perfectly acceptable solution to have for those that want them.

Now I am going to give you some advice:
You should definitely get some winter tires on your vehicle(s) if that isn't the case already. I think it's important that you feel comfortable driving in whatever conditions you face daily. However I do recommend you learn the limits in a safe place when it snows so that you aren't surprised in a less safe place. Also, it helps to slow down a bit when the weather is bad.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #27
Rai-zero

Great day driving the tS was 32 degrees this am and up to 48 high temp.

I adjusted the air psi to 38 and not as squishy as before. I still debate if I did the right thing getting the 17 instead of the 18 wheels but it feels very nice overall a bit more cushy ride than stock but not bad at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #28
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
Great day driving the tS was 32 degrees this am and up to 48 high temp.

I adjusted the air psi to 38 and not as squishy as before. I still debate if I did the right thing getting the 17 instead of the 18 wheels but it feels very nice overall a bit more cushy ride than stock but not bad at all.
You'll be happy for the 17s once we get a good cold spell in and all the potholes open up.

I ran snows on my FRS in the winter until I got a second car, but if you're not actually driving when it's snowing out then all seasons are a good idea.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murdoc For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (11-12-2018), Spuds (11-12-2018)