follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #3865
ConnorJ

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks all for the advice. I'm either going with the Tomei UEL or JDL 4-2-1. I think the ACE is a bit expensive for me. Honestly, the cost is the only reason I don't just go with the JDL right now. I'll be doing an oil change in the next couple of weeks, so I'll make sure to swap to the 5W-30.

Steve, I believe I have ridden with you before. I almost signed up for the Bristol Champ Tour, but trying to manage money, I decided to sit this one out and try and get these mods on finally. There's no way I can have the car prepped with the new stuff before Bristol, but once it's all ordered and I have a better idea of final cost, I may revisit. I'll come say hi next time we cross paths. Hopefully we can start back up in Huntsville again soon.
Tennessee Valley Region - STX #15
ConnorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #3866
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorJ View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I'm either going with the Tomei UEL or JDL 4-2-1. I think the ACE is a bit expensive for me. Honestly, the cost is the only reason I don't just go with the JDL right now. I'll be doing an oil change in the next couple of weeks, so I'll make sure to swap to the 5W-30.

Steve, I believe I have ridden with you before. I almost signed up for the Bristol Champ Tour, but trying to manage money, I decided to sit this one out and try and get these mods on finally. There's no way I can have the car prepped with the new stuff before Bristol, but once it's all ordered and I have a better idea of final cost, I may revisit. I'll come say hi next time we cross paths. Hopefully we can start back up in Huntsville again soon.
I'm following a travel guidance for work right now, so hopefully I can go to Huntsville when those events do happen.

It is frustrating to dump money into a car and not really get to enjoy it the way you envisioned.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #3867
holeeray

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This has probably been answered, but I looked through the SCCA rule book and it seems my 2015 is considered a "D" class car? I plan on doing Bilstein B6s and RCE Yellow springs with Group N top hats. Will this bump me up a class?

Also, I might consider headers/tune, but I don't really feel the need for more power in this thing yet.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #3868
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeeray View Post
This has probably been answered, but I looked through the SCCA rule book and it seems my 2015 is considered a "D" class car? I plan on doing Bilstein B6s and RCE Yellow springs with Group N top hats. Will this bump me up a class?

Also, I might consider headers/tune, but I don't really feel the need for more power in this thing yet.
Yes. Only oem springs and top hats are allowed in Street class, damper change ok as long as it's built to oe dimensions. Sounds like you're building an STX car, have fun.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
holeeray (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #3869
holeeray

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Yes. Only oem springs and top hats are allowed in Street class, damper change ok as long as it's built to oe dimensions. Sounds like you're building an STX car, have fun.

I don't plan on racing for placement and just plan on doing it more for fun and learning the limits of this car so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Just wanted to know where I would stand. Thanks for answering, though.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #3870
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't plan on racing for placement and just plan on doing it more for fun and learning the limits of this car so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Just wanted to know where I would stand. Thanks for answering, though.
STX is great. You can do a lot of popular street mods in the class (though you do need to pay attention to some things like bushings and cats when making your choices).
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
holeeray (10-29-2020), strat61caster (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #3871
holeeray

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
STX is great. You can do a lot of popular street mods in the class (though you do need to pay attention to some things like bushings and cats when making your choices).

Just to be clear, it seems I have to retain a cat for STX, but does that mean both or can i get a catless header while retaining the other one and still stay in STX?
Old 10-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #3872
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Just to be clear, it seems I have to retain a cat for STX, but does that mean both or can i get a catless header while retaining the other one and still stay in STX?
as long as your last cat is within 6" of the stock last cat location and it fits whatever density and size of a cat you are good
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #3873
BarryOtt

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
as long as your last cat is within 6" of the stock last cat location and it fits whatever density and size of a cat you are good
I think there's a minimum requirement for the single replacement cat.
From the rule book: "Replacement converters must have a minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate length of 3”
(76.2 mm)."
BarryOtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #3874
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryOtt View Post
I think there's a minimum requirement for the single replacement cat.
From the rule book: "Replacement converters must have a minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate length of 3”
(76.2 mm)."

that sounds about right. pretty sure every "high flow" cat will meet those requirements
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #3875
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Assuming you are getting a tune then too? Even if you opted to build suspension to D-Street spec the header would bump you up. You'll have fun in STX and if you buy wheels to class spec and 245 tires for them your car will compete with 99% of STX cars out there.

Also I don't know how familiar you are with SCCA classing / modification rules but even the tiniest of parts can bump you way beyond STX. Just something to keep in mind if you're doing a build for fun.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
holeeray (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #3876
holeeray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Assuming you are getting a tune then too? Even if you opted to build suspension to D-Street spec the header would bump you up. You'll have fun in STX and if you buy wheels to class spec and 245 tires for them your car will compete with 99% of STX cars out there.

Also I don't know how familiar you are with SCCA classing / modification rules but even the tiniest of parts can bump you way beyond STX. Just something to keep in mind if you're doing a build for fun.

I haven't done Auto-x is like 10 years so I'm playing a lot of catch up at this point.

Here's what I have currently planned for the spring:

Bilstein B6 w/ RCE Yellow springs
High-flow catted headers
Crawford Power Blocks

OFT Tune
17x7.5 wheels w/street rubber
Subframe bushings, steering lockdown, tranmission mount insert

Will any of this knock me out of STX?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #3877
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No power blocks
No steering lockdown

Instead of steering lockdown you can pick up delrin steering rack bushings from diftech, STX legal and same effect, although mine weren't too noticeable, for better or worse. Transmission mount insert is fine as are other bushings as long as you're not adding metal. The white line polyurethane stuff is legal affordable and makes a difference to a point.

Seems like a fun set up but in no way competitive with a build for the class.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #3878
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
I haven't done Auto-x is like 10 years so I'm playing a lot of catch up at this point.

Here's what I have currently planned for the spring:

Bilstein B6 w/ RCE Yellow springs
High-flow catted headers
Crawford Power Blocks

OFT Tune
17x7.5 wheels w/street rubber
Subframe bushings, steering lockdown, tranmission mount insert

Will any of this knock me out of STX?
Don't quote me on this but I believe those power blocks will knock you up to prepared. Possibly even higher. They are 100% not STX legal and I can't speak to SM.

That said - If you're running 7.5 wheels you won't be anywhere close to an STX prepped car in performance so I wouldn't sweat it much unless you show up to a national event.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote