follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
Robcokiwi

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need to bypass security system

I have a problem. I have a flood vehicle which required the replacement of all the control modules. But somewhere in it all I switched on the power without all the modules in place and now it is locked down in security mode and will not start. I took it to the dealer but the tech tells me that because I switched power on before I had swapped all the modules the security system has permanently locked down. The only fix is to replace all the modules with new ones and have them program them.
Does any one know a way of bypassing this system?
Robcokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So you're saying you powered up some without the others and now they won't power up even if you hook them all up?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:22 AM   #3
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Which modules are failing on the CANBUS?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Robcokiwi

Thanks for the replies. Just a short history - I bought a flood car and had it running but it had bad wiring harnesses and corrosion on a lot of the modules. So I bought a wrecked car and scavenged the wiring harnesses and modules. I changed out ECM, ECU and most of the other modules. I did not change out the receiver (black box under the parcel shelf). Then I reconnected the battery and tried to start the car. Everything on the dash looked normal but when I turned the key the whole way the security light flashed. I figured it may need flashing at the dealer. The tech at the dealer said he tried for 2 hours to get it going but could not and is not going to charge me for his time. His explanation (based on past experience) is that if you don't change out ALL the modules that are part of the security system and then try to start the vehicle it will lock up the starting of the car and will not work again - they all need to be changed for new ones which is $$$$. The tech seems knowledgeable but also seems too busy to be bothered with my headache.
Also Dave-ROR he could not tell me which module had a problem. In fact it concerns me a bit that he can't actually pinpoint a cause for the problem.
Any idea if he is correct in his diagnosis?
Is it possible to hack into the security system and disable it?
Old 08-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcokiwi View Post
Thanks for the replies. Just a short history - I bought a flood car and had it running but it had bad wiring harnesses and corrosion on a lot of the modules. So I bought a wrecked car and scavenged the wiring harnesses and modules. I changed out ECM, ECU and most of the other modules. I did not change out the receiver (black box under the parcel shelf). Then I reconnected the battery and tried to start the car. Everything on the dash looked normal but when I turned the key the whole way the security light flashed. I figured it may need flashing at the dealer. The tech at the dealer said he tried for 2 hours to get it going but could not and is not going to charge me for his time. His explanation (based on past experience) is that if you don't change out ALL the modules that are part of the security system and then try to start the vehicle it will lock up the starting of the car and will not work again - they all need to be changed for new ones which is $$$$. The tech seems knowledgeable but also seems too busy to be bothered with my headache.
Also Dave-ROR he could not tell me which module had a problem. In fact it concerns me a bit that he can't actually pinpoint a cause for the problem.
Any idea if he is correct in his diagnosis?
Is it possible to hack into the security system and disable it?
I think @Opie has the details on this but yeah it's not easy to just swap some of the modules as they are coded to each other. Maybe techstream can reprogram them? Not sure but Opie likely knows.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,312 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
First, Is the car a key start or a push start? Is the donor car the same?

Second, List every module you swapped. BIU/Fuse box?, ECU?, SRS?, Gauge Cluster?

Third, What key are you using? Original or donor?

My answers may be a little delayed as I'm working on a few things today.
p1l0t (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Robcokiwi

Opie - Both cars are the same year, and as far as I know exactly the same. They are key start. I did not change out the Gauge cluster as the mileage would be altered. I did not change out any fuse box. I did change out the airbag module and the ECM and the ECU as well as the driving mode module - snow/sport/normal by the automatic gearshift lever.
I also changed out the amplifier ring that goes around the ignition key slot.
I was using the original key so that I wouldn't have to change out locks. I tried it with the original fob and black receiver under the parcel shelf and the doors still locked and unlocked. When the car would not start I put in the donor car key fob and changed out the black receiver. Now the doors would not unlock with the remote and the car would still not start.
I really appreciate your help here Opie as I am at a loss here.

Last edited by Robcokiwi; 08-22-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Opie

Garage
There are 3 components that work as a "System" for the Immobilizer to work correctly and allow the car to start. If swapping parts between cars all 3 components must be swapped/used in order for proper communication to start the car.
The main body ECU (network gateway ECU) *also called the BIU, it's the black box attached to the interior fuse box, the combination meter (gauge cluster) and the keys (keys will require swapping the ignition lock cylinder and the door/trunk lock cylinders).

If any of the parts are used/installed individually the system will not allow the car to start. Once any of these components are programmed together, they must stay together and cannot be reprogrammed to work individually.

If the system was working before, I would use the original components. If one of those components fail due to corrosion, the part that fails would need to be replaced with a new one (not a swapped/used part) and then programmed by the dealer.
Robcokiwi (08-26-2020), Spuds (08-25-2020), Wally86 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
Robcokiwi

Thanks Opie. That is more information than the dealer tech could tell me. He wasn't sure whether it was 3 components or more and wasn't sure which components were involved. So that makes me suspect what else he told me.
He said that if I put in 2 of the donor cars modules and mixed the with the original ones they would go into a security shutdown, like they have. He also said that it was irreversible and could not be solved by now installing the remaining module from the donor car. But that doesn't sound right to me. Do you know?
Once again I really appreciate your help here.
Brian
Old 08-23-2020, 10:55 PM   #10
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks Opie. That is more information than the dealer tech could tell me. He wasn't sure whether it was 3 components or more and wasn't sure which components were involved. So that makes me suspect what else he told me.
He said that if I put in 2 of the donor cars modules and mixed the with the original ones they would go into a security shutdown, like they have. He also said that it was irreversible and could not be solved by now installing the remaining module from the donor car. But that doesn't sound right to me. Do you know?
Brian
I doubt it's irreversible, that would be a stupid way to design something. Maybe they just don't want to deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Brian
This will help:

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
p1l0t (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
Opie

Garage
Quote:
Brian
I don't believe any of the system gets irreparably "locked" if you mix components, pretty sure if you put the 3 original components back, or the 3 components out of the donor it will be fine.
p1l0t (08-24-2020), Wally86 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
Robcokiwi

Wow Tcoat. That is an incredible tool to have access to. Thanks a lot eh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robcokiwi For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-24-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Flukester

Drives: 2019 BRZ - Raiu
The previous replies (and authors) give a lot more information than I ever could regarding this issue. However, there is an easy procedure that is needed when you replace the ECM (engine ECU) located under the glove box. I'm not sure if it can help or not, when you replace other modules as well. It may be worth trying.

See the following thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810 for more information.

All you need is a piece of wire and 30 minutes of your time (and a good battery in the car). I got fancy and built a small loopback connector to avoid damage to the OBD-II connector. See my post at the end of that thread if you want part numbers.

Fluke
Flukester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm, module, security, technical