follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #2563
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM7 View Post
Matt's reviews are aimed at an audience who care about how a car drives on the commute and on a Sunday cruise. When Matt talks about wind buffeting, ingress/egress, curb appeal, resale value, where the Supra belong in the sports car hierarchy; these are all valid points when you consider he's reviewing the Supra from a Los Angeles lifestyle perspective.

Only a small number of things Matt talks about actually matter to me.
This is very true in car journalism. You need to look for things that are important to you, not necessarily to the reviewer. This typically means reading/listening carefully for the tidbits of info that are relevant, instead of relying on the summary or just glossing over the review. I almost don't care about a car's look (I don't like how my BRZ looks, for example, but I still bought it with great enthusiasm for its driving experience) so a decent chunk of most reviews is superfluous to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM7 View Post
The Supra reviews from Savage Geese resonate with me much more.
I like SG too, as well as Throttle House. They seem to cater much more to the Average Joe enthusiast driver, without going overboard with tracking and high performance (or spend too much time on Car Play and rewinding radio). Sure, it's always fun to watch a review of a GT3 or some Italian exotica, but for the reasonably priced cars (say Supra and below) I really want smiles-per-gallon to be a major part of the review.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #2564
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has actually driven the A90 and what their thoughts are from an 86/FRS/BRZ owner's perspective.
Really enjoyed it, toyed with the idea after a test drive but then as soon as I got back into my car the "upgrade" seemed really hard to justify. It is the better car, but not enough to justify the extra cash. It's dominated by the B58, which is effortless, but that was pretty much sums up my review - it's effortless so lacks engagement. I have to say that based on that I would really struggle to be impressed by a 250bhp B48, although I could imagine it being better dynamically. It's a better GT car than the 86 (I'm a 2012 owner - perhaps the latter models are closer) but I just don't think it's more fun.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (06-16-2020), funwheeldrive (06-16-2020), jflogerzi (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #2565
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
pricing of full line up

Quote:
2.0 - 42,990
3.0 - 50,990
3.0 Premium - 54,490
3.0 A91 - 55,990
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/202...ed.5285/page-4
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #2566
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
I'm confused. I thought the A91 was all 2021 models. But I guess that's just the Special Edition.
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #2567
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nearly all professional drivers and auto journalists raved about the 2020. Then the 2021 comes out and they bash the 2020 with all the complaints all of a sudden. Lol. WTF?
LMAO, welcome to the world of professional automotive journalism, where the latest new release is always the best thing since sliced bread, right up until the next version is released, which immediately turns the older version into trash. Can’t sell as many brand new cars if you give more down to earth assessments like:
“The new model is good, slightly better in a couple of areas, not as good in others, and overall doesn’t present a compelling case for existing owners to upgrade, or to sway the budget conscious from buying a lightly used second hand version which is just as good and saves them money.”

Many of these car journos depend on the goodwill of automakers to get the latest new cars to review. They aren’t going to bite the hand that feeds them. They are in the business of helping automakers sell new cars, that’s how they get cars to review and get paid. For this reason I am pleasantly surprised when a reviewer occasionally critiques a new model, goes into detail about its real flaws, and possibly even recommends the previous model or a competitor instead. Rare, but it does happen.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #2568
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
LMAO, welcome to the world of professional automotive journalism, where the latest new release is always the best thing since sliced bread, right up until the next version is released, which immediately turns the older version into trash. Can’t sell as many brand new cars if you give more down to earth assessments like:
“The new model is good, slightly better in a couple of areas, not as good in others, and overall doesn’t present a compelling case for existing owners to upgrade, or to sway the budget conscious from buying a lightly used second hand version which is just as good and saves them money.”

Many of these car journos depend on the goodwill of automakers to get the latest new cars to review. They aren’t going to bite the hand that feeds them. They are in the business of helping automakers sell new cars, that’s how they get cars to review and get paid. For this reason I am pleasantly surprised when a reviewer occasionally critiques a new model, goes into detail about its real flaws, and possibly even recommends the previous model or a competitor instead. Rare, but it does happen.
Of course. And I get it.

However, this particular review caught my attention because even though he mentions all the upgrades and changes on paper, he never really goes into any of it in the actual drive or final thoughts.

He said he couldn't feel the 47hp difference or the steering and chassis tuning either. Just bashed it based on future resale value because it's the "newer model" - yeah, duh.

"They are in the business of helping automakers sell new cars, that’s how they get cars to review and get paid."

^^^I totally agree. So why not just say "oh, I totally feel the extra power in this model and the new eps is much improved as is the suspension." But he didn't. He didn't sell it like I thought he would.

It makes me feel as though he was maybe too honest about the improvements? Or they'd be more valuable on the track than on the street? But the whole "you 2020 owners got hosed" remarks seem rather unsubstantiated after his drive.

Maybe the "oh man, the 2021 Supra is SO much better with 47hp than the old model!" crowd will storm dealers later this summer. Who knows? Toyota should be less focused on power addition and more on dealer markups.

While I have no doubts about the fine chassis tuning, steering calibration or power improvements with new cylinder cooking and manifold exhausts improves the car overall, it's hardly a reason to discount the older model as unworthy.

But hey, I shouldn't complain. I actually want to be able to afford a low-miles 2020 CPO model by next spring. So keep the bashing going. Lol.
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #2569
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post

This has always cracked me up.

Especially back in the days of, "This is finally the American sedan that can compete with the rivals from Japan."

Until five years later when the new model came out and the old one was a piece of junk bumper to bumper but NOW we have the American sedan that can compete with the Japanese rivals.
LancePower is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LancePower For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #2570
gymratter

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2021-to...r-turbo-model/

2021 Toyota GR Supra Hits the Streets with More Power, A91 Edition and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

Quote:
  • GR Supra 3.0 Gets Power Boost and Revised Chassis Tuning
  • New GR Supra 2.0 is First-Ever Four-Cylinder Version, with 255 Horsepower and Lower Weight
  • New GR Supra A91 Edition with Exclusive Color and Design Features
  • 8-in. Central Display Screen Now Standard on All Models
  • GR Supra 2.0 starts at $42,990, while 3.0 starts at $50,990

PLANO, Texas (June 17, 2020) – One year after its debut, Toyota is raising the bar for the 2021 GR Supra with six-cylinder models that leap ahead with a power boost and retuned chassis, while the first ever four-cylinder turbo model joins the line.

The first 1,500 Mk. V Supras were Launch Editions, and for 2021 Toyota is offering 1,000 new A91 Editions. This special edition Supra will have the 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine and will be available in a choice of two colors, Nocturnal or Refraction, the latter exclusive to the A91 Edition and an all-new color for Supra. Accenting the Supra’s concept car-inspired body are a rear black carbon fiber lip spoiler, matte black wheels, C-pillar graphics and carbon fiber mirror caps. The black Alcantara® leather-trimmed interior with blue contrast is likewise exclusive to this limited-availability model, and each A91 Edition will come with two exclusive key gloves and trunk mat.

On the 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium and A91 Edition, the front Brembo® brake calipers are painted red and feature the “TOYOTA Supra” logo. All Supra models for 2021 will feature the 8.8-inch audio touch screen that is standard on the 2020 3.0 Premium model; the base model’s 6.5-inch screen has been discontinued.

The 2021 GR Supra models are anticipated to start arriving at Toyota dealers this summer. Here’s what to brace for:

More Power. Because, Why Not?

The 2020 Toyota GR Supra brought the revered model back in a blaze of speed, with acceleration and handling performance that outshone even its illustrious A80 predecessor. For 2021, Toyota is keeping the pedal down, boosting output of the Supra’s turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six from 335 hp at 5,000-6,500 rpm to 382 hp at 5,800-6,500 rpm, a 14-percent increase. Torque rises from 365 lb.-ft. at 1,600-4,500 rpm to 368 lb.-ft. at 1,800-5,000 rpm.

The increased output results from a slew of upgrades throughout the engine. The new dual-branch exhaust manifold, with six ports instead of two, improves airflow and heat management. A new piston design reduces the engine’s compression ratio from 11:1 to 10.2:1 in order to prevent abnormal combustion due to high boost.

The greatly revised engine produces higher torque at higher rpm and retains the eagerness to rev with turbine-like smoothness. Toyota projects that the new engine will reduce the Supra 3.0 model’s 0-60 acceleration time to 3.9 seconds, down from 4.1. The 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters carries over for 2021. Even with the power boost, GR Supra 3.0 grades will achieve an estimated 25 mpg combined (22 city/30 highway/25 combined).

Retuned Chassis for Supra 3.0

The 2020 GR Supra won praise for its ride/handling balance, but even the exceptional can be improved. Seeking increased roll resistance and enhanced cornering stability, Toyota retuned the Supra 3.0 chassis, adding lightweight aluminum braces that tie the strut towers to the radiator support to increase lateral rigidity, along with front and rear bump stops and new damper tuning. Revised programming for the electric power steering (EPS), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Active Differential works in concert with the hardware changes to make the 2021 Supra more stable through quick transitions, such as compound turns.

The First Four-Cylinder Supra Is Quick and Light

The 2020 GR Supra broke from the model’s traditions in several areas, and the 2021 version seems to do it again with the first-ever four-cylinder turbo model. Or does it? The new Supra 2.0 becomes the entry model, returning a two-tier performance lineup that parallels the A70 and A80 Supra models.

The 2021 Supra 2.0 offers an intermediate model between the Toyota 86 and the Supra 3.0, giving the customer three distinct Toyota sports car choices.

The 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine shares much of its technology with the 3.0-liter inline-six, including a twin-scroll turbo, direct fuel injection and continuously variable timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. The variable intake valve lift system adjusts intake valve timing and duration. The bottom line is 255 hp at 5,000-6,500 rpm and a stout 295 lb.-ft. peak torque at 1,550 to 4,400 rpm.

The Supra 2.0 uses the same 8-speed automatic transmission as the 3.0, and Toyota projects 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds, which will make it Toyota’s second quickest vehicle in the lineup. The Supra 2.0 has the same electronically limited 155-mph top track speed as the 3.0, and its fuel consumption will be lower.

The Supra Lightweight

The 2021 Supra 2.0 offers much more than a lower price point. At 3,181 pounds, it is more than 200 pounds lighter than the Supra 3.0 while maintaining that model’s exemplary near perfect weight distribution. That’s because the weight reduction is spread throughout the car:

The Supra 2.0 uses smaller front brake rotors than the Supra 3.0 (330mm x 24mm vs. 348mm x 36mm), and with single-piston calipers vs. four-piston.
The Supra 2.0 does not have the Active Differential and Adaptive Suspension used on the 3.0 model.

A four-speaker audio system is standard, vs. the Supra 3.0’s 10-speaker system.
Supra 2.0 seats are manually adjustable, vs. 14-way power-adjustable in the 3.0.

Performance, Well-Priced

The 2021 GR Supra’s inline six-cylinder gets a major power boost, but with a minor price increase. The 3.0 Premium grade has an MSRP increase of just $500, with a starting price of $54,490. The 3.0 grade starts at $50,990, up just $1,000 from MY20. The A91 Edition has an MSRP starting price of $55,990, which is $740 more than the Launch Editions offered for model year 2020.

The GR Supra 2.0 grades will have an MSRP starting price of $42,990.

The Safety & Technology Package is new for MY21 and will be available on the 2.0 and 3.0 grades. It will cost $3,485 on the 2.0 and $3,155 on the 3.0 and include:
  • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Full speed)
  • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • Parking Sensors with Emergency Braking Function
  • Navigation
  • 12-speaker 500-watt JBL Audio System
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay® compatible (iOS only)
  • Supra Connected Services: up to four-year trial includes Remote Services, Remote Maintenance, Automatic Emergency Call, Real Time Traffic Information, Concierge, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, and Map Updates.
  • The Driver’s Assist Package will still be an available option on the 3.0

Premium and A91 Edition. That package costs $1,195 and includes:
  • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Full speed)
  • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • Parking Sensors with Emergency Braking Function

Comparing 2020 and 2021 Supra GR Models

The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #2571
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If I was set on the 2.0, I would hold off for a year or so to see whether Toyota increase the B48 outputs to 300 HP or so (what it makes in other BMW cars like the M135i and JCW GP3). After all, they did it with the B58 3.0 after just one year, and a lot of early adopters with the less powerful 3.0 saw their resale values take a liver punch. Seems probable the same may happen with the 2.0. Or maybe not. But if it was my money, I’d be patient for a while longer and see what happens with next year’s 2.0.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:45 AM   #2572
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
spike021 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 02:32 AM   #2573
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Agreed. All valid points.

Yeah, I prefer Savage Geese as well.

I'm wondering if anyone here has actually driven the A90 and what their thoughts are from an 86/FRS/BRZ owner's perspective.
Say no more: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137156

It's now been almost a year since I've owned the 2020 Supra and I'm still loving it. I broke it in fairly quickly and then slowly drove it less and less, especially since I've parked it at my sister's house which is a 2-hour drive from me and the pandemic prevented me from going there for about 4 months. The GR Supra is a nice car to enjoy little-by-little. It's for sure more thrilling than the BRZ. It's also much better-suited for longer drives. However, the overall experience of driving is better in the BRZ. Long story short, the BRZ has a better connection and communication to the driver.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:59 AM   #2574
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #2575
gymratter

Old 06-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #2576
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The 2021 Toyota Supra Isn’t Quite the Bargain We’d Hoped For

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/06/17/20...supra-pricing/

Quote:
Toyota has two new editions of the Supra coming for 2021 arriving this summer, a more powerful 382 horsepower version of the 3.0-liter inline-six and a 255-hp 2.0-liter entry-level model. We already know how they compare to each other, because we’ve already driven both versions — but the big unanswered question we had then was just how much of a bargain the four-cylinder version would be. Now, Toyota has released pricing information for the new car — and the 2.0 isn’t quite as affordable as we’d hoped.

The four-cylinder Supra starts at $42,990. That’s almost $7,000 cheaper than the equivalent BMW Z4 with the same engine, but it’s about $6,000 more expensive than a four-pot Mustang EcoBoost with the HPP package. (The price also leaves room for the Supra to be undercut by the forthcoming Nissan 400Z.) And, if you want a sporty four-cylinder, there are 0% APR deals to be had on the much cheaper Volkswagen GTI and Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Starting MSRP for the six-cylinder Supra will be $50,990 — a $1,000 bump from the 2020 model year. If we accept Toyota at face value that the 2020 Supra only had 335 hp, that seems like a very reasonable trade for an additional 47 hp. The debate buyers will have to have with the 3.0-liter Supra is remains whether to buy it or spend a bit more to level up to the Porsche Cayman, Gear Patrol’s 2019 pick for best sports car.

While the Supra 2.0 won’t leave you regretting your choice in abstract, the $8,000 difference between models does make it harder to argue in favor of the four-pot. At 60 months and 4.66% APR (the average car loan rate for people with good credit in June 2020, according to MyAutoloan), the Supra 2.0 would run you $805 a month, while the Supra 3.0 would be $954 a month. That’s a decent savings, but given the added power and features of the 3.0, it seems like a worthwhile stretch for anyone looking for maximum fun from their sports car.

If you’re looking for a deal, Toyota still has great discounts running on the 2020 model Supra. Toyota is currently offering 0% APR for 60 months or $3,500 cash back through July 6, as well as 90-day payment deferral. It does, allegedly, have 47 fewer horsepower than the 2021 model. But the probability of you noticing that in everyday driving is minimal.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote