follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #99
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
Ah, few days late. Tracking shows the 23rd. We allowed an extra 10 days as a cushion.. still wasn't enough. Sorry!
No need for sorry. This is to be expected. Thanks for updating! Just put in extra stickers or something. Maybe a free set of wheels.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #100
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
FYI, received today. It's a good looking set of metal. It's a bit hot and I'm a bit sick, but I hope to get it in next week.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #101
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Spacer installed! Should come stock that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (08-05-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #102
turbofan
949Racing Support

Drives: 1999 Mazda Miata Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On newer models with steering wheel controls, the control wiring is not long enough to reach once the adapter is installed and will require an extension harness similar to what is used on other applications. Airbag wiring is fine, so this can still be installed on later models, you will simply lose steering wheel control functionality until the extension harness is available. Extension harness can be installed without removing the steering wheel. No ETA yet for the harnesses, will update when we have more information.
EMAIL US at info@949racing.com
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbofan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-28-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #103
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thinking of getting this to fix my issue with the OEM seat's headrest angle.

Due to my short arms, I have to set the seat fully erect with the wheel extended to the furthest position. This is fine on the street, but when I have a helmet on, I feel like my head is hunched down and pushed forward by the headrest. I flip the headrest around when autocrossing, which effectively is not having a headrest at all. I roll dice and play the odds of snapping my neck. But at the track, where I go off course, spin, & crash on every lap, I have a higher risk and therefore leave the headrest in the normal position.

Wondering if anyone bought the extension so that they can recline the seat farther back? Logically I think this would solve my problem.

Last edited by iLuveKetchup; 09-17-2019 at 04:20 PM.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLuveKetchup For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #104
turbofan
949Racing Support

Yes, this is exactly the reason for this piece - it allows you to have the wheel closer to you when the rest of the ergonomics are correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbofan For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (09-17-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #105
supjames

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Just wanted to add that I purchased and installed this extender, and I am impressed. Possibly the greatest upgrade towards driver comfort, I wish I had it sooner! With my install though, I had to extend the horn wire a bit, but air bag wires were left alone.

Also, after first install, the steering wheel was not lining up properly following included directions. I had to go back in and flip the steel piece to where the "this side up" side is down, in order for the splines to line up correctly.

Last edited by supjames; 09-20-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: corrected material composition for clarity.
supjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #106
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
My horn wire did pop out, and I didn't align the wheel perfectly. I need to pop everything off, adjust the extender one spline to the right, and then it should be good. Also extend the horn wire.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #107
turbofan
949Racing Support

Thanks for the feedback gents. Seems most folks don't have any issues with the horn wire but some do. Also, as mentioned previously, it's a little odd but the "this side up" is etched into the steel piece, but the steel piece is symmetrical - it's the aluminum piece that needs to be oriented a certain way.

They should be assembled correctly out of the box, but you'll need to take care not to invert them since you have to separate the two pieces for installation.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #108
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post

Due to my short arms, I have to set the seat fully erect with the wheel extended to the furthest position. This is fine on the street, but when I have a helmet on, I feel like my head is hunched down and pushed forward by the headrest. I flip the headrest around when autocrossing, which effectively is not having a headrest at all. I roll dice and play the odds of snapping my neck. But at the track, where I go off course, spin, & crash on every lap, I have a higher risk and therefore leave the headrest in the normal position.

Wondering if anyone bought the extension so that they can recline the seat farther back? Logically I think this would solve my problem.
Yup I'm an IDIOT!!! Mad at myself for thinking that I can solve my headrest problem by reclining the seat. ugh!! The spacer works as intended but doesn't fix (nor was intended to) my helmet to headrest problem. In order for the headrest to not push into my helmet, I'd have to recline the seat so much that it would feel like I'm "Rollin in my six-fo".

The spacer itself is a good product. Easy install. Fast shipping too.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #109
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yup I'm an IDIOT!!! Mad at myself for thinking that I can solve my headrest problem by reclining the seat. ugh!! The spacer works as intended but doesn't fix (nor was intended to) my helmet to headrest problem. In order for the headrest to not push into my helmet, I'd have to recline the seat so much that it would feel like I'm "Rollin in my six-fo".

The spacer itself is a good product. Easy install. Fast shipping too.
Best solution for that problem is a different seat... will cost $$$$ though. The factory seat was my most disliked thing about my FR-S; stupid headrest and bad ergonomics for me - bought my FR-S knowing I would absolutely be getting rid of the stock seat for one that actually works properly for me. Took me a few years but finally saved up for a seat I know works for me and have been happy since. Find the seat that works for you and stick with it for your vehicles - its your main interface between you and the vehicle and needs to both properly fit to not damage your body over time and to be able to relay all the info it can on what the chassis is doing so you are better tuned in to what the vehicle is actually doing. The stock seat absolutely lacks in supportiveness and the chassis information it can relay.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #110
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Best solution for that problem is a different seat... will cost $$$$ though. The factory seat was my most disliked thing about my FR-S; stupid headrest and bad ergonomics for me - bought my FR-S knowing I would absolutely be getting rid of the stock seat for one that actually works properly for me. Took me a few years but finally saved up for a seat I know works for me and have been happy since. Find the seat that works for you and stick with it for your vehicles - its your main interface between you and the vehicle and needs to both properly fit to not damage your body over time and to be able to relay all the info it can on what the chassis is doing so you are better tuned in to what the vehicle is actually doing. The stock seat absolutely lacks in supportiveness and the chassis information it can relay.
An aftermarket seat? hmm.. didn't think of that.

On second thought, I don't think I can swap seats because of class restrictions. But if I did swap seats, is there a solution to the passenger seat sensors? I think it has weight sensors and some other crap??

But you are right, a different seat is the answer (or sell the car). I just wonder how aftermarket seats feel.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #111
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
An aftermarket seat? hmm.. didn't think of that.

On second thought, I don't think I can swap seats because of class restrictions. But if I did swap seats, is there a solution to the passenger seat sensors? I think it has weight sensors and some other crap??

But you are right, a different seat is the answer (or sell the car). I just wonder how aftermarket seats feel.

Why not just flip the hearest around? Not on the street obviously, but on the track. It make a helmet fit just right.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #112
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
Why not just flip the hearest around? Not on the street obviously, but on the track. It make a helmet fit just right.
Quote:

This. I am a very bad driver and crash often. So I need the headrest support.

Tags
949, spacer, steering