follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
enigma

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Enigma's Asphalt DD / Track Toy FR-S

Last update: July 30, 2015

Hey everyone! I got a random wild hair tonight and decided I wanted to start one of these journals... My name is Pete and I'm located in Olathe, KS (think Kansas City). I'm an active member of the Kansas City 86 Enthusiast Group and spend a lot of time planning our club events.(Check out our facebook page @ KC-86 FR-S/BRZ Enthusiasts Club). We do anything from social gatherings to track days to car shows to random meets and cruises, so if you're in the KC area, definitely look us up!

Current look!

Quick Picture Link to all my FR-S pics!

Youtube Page!

I bought my FR-S used with 3853 miles on February 7th, 2013. As of this writing, the car has just under 37k, and has seen several modifications, several track days, autocrosses, etc. (Current mileage as of 8/31/17 - 65k)

Seeing as my car is my daily as well, my vision for the 86 is essentially stock+. I always try to modify cars with the intent of "I want this to be like a better version of the factory car." Think GT86 GT3. Able to be a brilliant track car, but not be absolutely brutal on a a daily basis, and not absolutely bonkers aesthetically.

I'll keep the background about me short, but I've always been a car guy. The FR-S was actually car #20 for me, and there have been two cars following after it. Two cars are currently in the stable. The FR-S (obviously) and my daily ruxury car, a 2001 Lexus LS430.

When car guys hear that the FR-S was #20, they usually ask for "the list," so here goes. In order of appearance: '90 300ZX, 93 300ZXTT, '89 Civic Si, '92 Civic Si, '93 MR2, '00 S2000, '03 350Z, '92 NSX, '98 Civic DX, '97 318i, '95 M3, '00 S2000, '05 330Ci ZHP, '93 RX-7, '98 Prelude SH, '02 RSX-S, '94 300ZXTT, '01 S2000, '06 Z4M Coupe, '13 FR-S, '91 300ZX, '90 Miata, '92 Prelude Si, '95 240SX, '88 CRX Si, '04 TL, '01 LS430

Quick link to the flickr page with pics of most of said cars!

Back to the FR-S. Here is the current mod list:

Power:
Cosworth Drop In Filter
HKS Air Intake Duct
HKS EL Catted Header
AVO Catted Front Pipe
Motiv Concepts Overpipe
GReddy CS GTS Ver 2 Catback
Nameless Cam Plate
Perrin Lightweight Pulley Set
Cosworth Stage 2.0 Supercharger Kit
Cosworth Stage 2.0 ECUtek Tune
Perrin Oil Cooler
Mishimoto Racing Thermostat

Suspension and braking:
KW V3 Coilovers
Sam Strano Front Sway Bar
Stoptech Slotted Rotors
Hawk Performance StreetRace Pads
Stoptech SS Brake Lines
SPC Front Camber Bolts
SPC Rear Lower Control Arms
Perrin Steering Rack Lock
Enkei RPF1s 17x9
Bridgestone RE71R 245/40R17

Appearance and Miscellaneous modifications:
Winjet black front headlights w/4300k HIDs
TOMs JDM rear tail lights
OEM Toyota badges
Beatsonic Shark Fin antenna
LED Interior lighting
OEM JDM Sidemarkers w/Diode Dynamics LEDs
Braille 11 lb battery kit
Trackdecals.com track map stickers for each track day attended. (As of 4/8/15, that's Mid America Motorplex, Heartland Park, Eagles Canyon Raceway, High Plains Raceway, and Hallett Motor Racing Circuit)
FT86SpeedFactory Rear Diffuser (non-aggressive) with diff covers

I've taken a lot of pics along the way, so here goes...

February 7th, 2013
Date of Purchase!

In 2012, I had test driven an FR-S while I was living in Florida. I had been following the development of the car since Toyota first announced it and was definitely anticipating its release. I was driving an 01 S2000 at the time, and wanted something similar to the S, but more daily drivable. The FR-S seemed perfect! However, the only one they had in FL was an automatic... I knew I wanted a manual, but drove the car anyways. I was underwhelmed by it. I found out later that a change in gearbox made all the difference in the car, but for the time being, I purchased a 2006 BMW M Coupe instead in June of 2012.

Fast forward to January 2013. I had moved back to Kansas City. I had found my short ownership with the M Coupe to be lackluster. It was a quick car. It was great to look at. It was comfortable. It handled well. It had a great stereo. However... I just never connected with the car. I never really enjoyed it. That's when my hunt for an 86 began again. I test drove a manual and immediately knew this was the car I was supposed to have purchased. I sold my M and was off to the races.

I had intended on purchasing a brand new Whiteout. However, the night before I planned to look at a Whiteout that I had my eye on, I spotted a slightly used (3800 mile) Asphalt FR-S that was enough of a discount over a new one, I had to look at it. The rest was history. I bought the car within a week of driving it.

When I bought it, the car had an Injen Intake, Crawford Performance axleback, and LED DRLs.

What she looked like the day I picked her up:

Last edited by enigma; 09-01-2017 at 12:33 AM.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
swarb (01-28-2015)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
enigma

February 11th, 2013
First mod! Toyota badges!

Easy one to explain here... I'm not a huge fan of Scion as a brand and I think it's silly that this is a Toyota everywhere else in the world. So the first mod was ordered the day before I actually picked up the car...

February 21st, 2013
A little taste of Kansas City

Didn't get to enjoy my 86 much in the first months I had it. And sadly, as I was living in an apartment complex that didn't have any available garages at the time, she had to sit outside... :\

April 7th, 2013
Her first autocross

I've been autocrossing on and off since 2006 or so. I've had seasons where I haven't missed a single event, and I've had seasons where I've made only one or two. However, I knew the 86 was going to be a great platform for autocross, and if nothing else... it would be a ton of fun!

The first event did not go as planned, however. Midway through my very first run, the car threw a CEL, the TCS light came on, and the ABS light came on. All signs pointed to a fault with the ECM. Unfortunately, this put the car into a bit of a limp mode, limiting power delivery, and it locked the TCS on. However, even with those issues, I could tell this thing was going to put a smile on my face... She went to the dealer a few days later and had ECM replacement, and has never given me that issue since.

That's me on the right, with a good friend of mine on the left who co-drove with me that event.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
enigma

April 14th, 2013
Her second autocross

The second event was a much smoother experience. I got to experience the joy that is Prius tires off the street for the first time and they were... brilliant. Just brilliant. They're so ridiculous that I was just giggling like a school girl every single run. They give up grip early, but they do so in a predictable manner that just makes the car an absolute riot.

We're now two months into ownership and I can already tell this one isn't going anywhere for a while (which, as you may have guessed, is the complete opposite of how I trend).

July 14th, 2013
A B C Drive

The A B C Drive is a drive that I will plan numerous times throughout the year here in Kansas City. It's a pretty open invite to whatever car enthusiast wishes to attend. The drive gets its name from the few twisty roads we have here north of the Missouri River, most of which are entitled with alphabetical names (Read: E Highway, H Highway, etc). This the first drive I planned in the 86 and had a couple other 86s in attendance, namely Mr. Switchlanez himself before he moved away from KC.

July 27th, 2013
Dyno Day!

Knowing I would mod the car in the future, I wanted to take it to the dyno to get a baseline before anything really went onto the car. The guys @ MC Racing in Merriam, KS here in KC do a great job and have always been easy to work with. I've dyno'ed most cars I've owned here, so it allows me to get a direct comparison.

It is a Dynojet, and the car was dyno'ed with only the Crawford Performance Axleback. It made 171 rwhp, 142 rwtq with STD correction.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmoE38SiluM"]2013 Scion FR-S (basically) stock dyno 7.27.2013 - YouTube[/ame]

(Who films in portrait mode anyways? Jeez...)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2U0DMSKhn0"]2013 Scion FR-S (basically) stock dyno. 7.27.13 ru - YouTube[/ame]

July 28th, 2013
KCR SCCA Event 8

I didn't realize it at the time, but this would be my last event before ditching the Prius tires. The RPF1s would come in August along with BFG Rivals, ending the reign of the sideways kings that are the Prius tires. No pictures from this event, but I do have this gem of a video where the tail hangs out at the finish.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0zR1voL9k"]KCRSCCA Autocross Event #8 7.28.2013 - Run #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Fastest run of the day for me:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7bQJymcLI"]KCRSCCA Autocross Event #8 7.28.2013 - Run #4 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
enigma

August 1st, 2013
6 months after purchase? My brother buys a Series 10!

After keeping them on his radar like I did when the 86 was announced, handing the keys over to my bro on a few occasions was enough to convince him to move forward to purchase one. These are the first pics of our two cars together:

August 8th, 2013
Braille battery, RPF1s, BFG Rivals

The upgrades start coming...

The RPF1s are 17x9 and Rivals are 245/40r17.

The Braille battery saved me 18.2 lbs over the stock battery.

The RPF1s/Rivals and OEM wheels/tires weighed exactly the same @ 41 lbs, despite the RPF1s being 2" wider and having 30mm more tire.

August 25th, 2013
More parts! KW V3s, TOMs Tails, Beatsonic Sharkfin Antenna, Strano Front Sway Bar, SPC Rear LCAs

TOMs vs. Stock. Looks more stock than stock! The quality is great. One of my favorite mods for the car thus far!

Beatsonic Shark Fin. Super simple install, came pre-painted.

Ooooh... Ahh...

Stock vs. KW. Here's my one complaint with the KW's... As expensive as they are, you'd think they came with top hats. I didn't realize that they weren't included when ordering, so you are instructed to re-use the OEM top hats. Annoying, but it still works just fine and I was able to get the camber adjustment that I wanted.

Junky picture, but it was the first one I snapped in the light of the car. I ended up lowering the car about 1.2" in the front and about 1.5" in the rear.

I've been playing with alignment settings, but I've grown to like my current setup of:

-2.2F Camber, -1.9R Camber, 0 Toe all the way around. The car feels fairly neutral on track, with a slight hint of oversteer in long sweeping corners if I'm a little too eager on the power.

Stranoparts Front Sway Bar. Sam has been around the autocross world for a while, so when I heard he was developing parts for the 86, I knew it'd be a solid place to turn for a front sway bar. I haven't been disappointed. The front end response is much better than stock with both the sway bar and the new tires. Zero complaints with my choice here. For those of you wanting stats, it's a 22mm tubular bar (compare that to 18mm stock) and it was 1 lb lighter. Per Stranoparts.com, the bar is 85% stiffer than the OEM bar.

August 31st, 2013
KC Breakfast Cruise

Just a better shot of how the car is looking now.

Last edited by enigma; 01-27-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
ModBargains

Drives: FRS, M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"The joy that is prius tires." Lol thats great. Congrats on the car! Excited to see what you do
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ModBargains For This Useful Post:
enigma (01-28-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
enigma

September 18th, 2013
Starting to see a trend...

My brother and I have extremely similar tastes when it comes to cars. So, naturally, our 86's have ended up taking a very similar modification path. Here's the first shot after he too got his RPF1s (albeit his are 18x9.5 vs my 17x9), TOMs tails, KW V3s, and Beatsonic Sharkfin. If I recall correctly, he does have a different front sway bar than me, but I cannot remember which one. He also runs Dunlop ZIIs vs. my Rivals. On track, I may be bias here because it's my car, but I prefer the feel of mine a bit better. Not sure if that's because of the 17s vs 18s, the front sway bar difference, or the tires, but it's just my preference.

September 20th, 2013
Mid America Motorplex Track Day

My brother, dad, and I decided that we wanted to hit the track up in Pacific Junction, IA, Mid America Motorplex. It's a great learner's track that I have spent a ton of time at. It's flat, it's wide, and if you've never been on a track before and you're in that area, it's a great first experience.

Transponders weren't available, but watching the videos, it looks like I was in the high 1:40s and low 1:50s. Not bad, considering I was setting similar lap times in my NSX there.

My brother decided to take both his 86 and his Slicktop Z32 300ZX so that he could compare them on track... as you can see, we're supporters of the "People's Wheel."

The Z32, my 86, my brother's Series 10, and my dad's Nismo 370Z:

Got to meet these guys... you may have heard of them! Yo, Jeremy, it was great meeting you! Had a blast trading laps with Yo on track, some of which can be seen in the video below, and Jeremy took me for a ride in the racecar. Holy crap, I want boost now! Thanks again!

Early session:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbIKQ8VqyY8"]2013-09-20 - Scion FR-S - Mid America Motorplex - Morning Session - YouTube[/ame]

Late session (more on track action with a Cayman, S2000, and Yo's 86):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkNPASQfpU"]2013-09-20 - Scion FR-S - Mid America Motorplex - Afternoon Session - YouTube[/ame]

September 30th, 2013

Just a random pic with a friend's E36 M3 and my pops' Z. Fun to look at the size differences.

Last edited by enigma; 01-28-2015 at 03:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (04-08-2015), Lonewolf (01-27-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #7
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice looking car, enjoyed reading your thread.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
enigma

October 9th, 2013
Heartland Park Touring Club

Heartland Park in Topeka, KS is essentially my "home" track. It's about an hour away from me. Though I've logged laps in more different cars @ Mid America Motorplex, I find myself spending more time at Heartland Park now because it's a more challenging track. There's some elevation change and some generally challenging corners that are absolutely pivotal to get right in a momentum car like the 86 if you hope to have a quick lap. It is, however, hell on tires. The surface is fairly abrasive and I've eaten through my share of tires there.

First time at HPT in the 86... I'm a little excited.

My friend Joe came equipped with his camera and snapped some great shots!

I even blew this one up and gave it to my old man for Christmas for 2014.

In car cam from an afternoon session. My camera unfortunately died for the rest of the day, as this was my last session in the Intermediate group. As you can see, I got a little frustrated with being held up in the uber slow 86 that is just a turd if you lose momentum.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye74r6UwIu0"]2013-10-09 - Scion FR-S - Heartland Park Touring Club Track Day - Last Intermediate Session - YouTube[/ame]

Apparently Heartland Park liked my video so much, they used a screen capture from it for their webpage...

October 20th, 2013
Another KC Breakfast Meet

Just some random shots!

October 29th, 2013
Shots at the Liberty Memorial

Kansas City has one of the greatest World War 1 Museums in the country. Located on top of the Museum is the Liberty Memorial, which is a piece of Kansas City history. Got a random want to go snap a pic of the 86 with it in the background.

Was a crummy day, but here's a view from the bottom of the Liberty Memorial.

January 1, 2014
New Years Snow Celebration

My 86 is my toy and my daily driver, which means it absolutely sees snow duty. As of this writing, I'm running Dunlop Winter Maxx tires, which I cannot provide a great recommendation for. They're decent in the snow, but my choice to put a T Speed Rated snow tire on the car was the wrong one. It's wobbily nature has ruined the steering feel and it's comical in the wet. The rear will go in the wet if you so much as sneeze on the throttle.

]

January 30th, 2014
First day at my new house

This is a simple pic, but it signifies something that was a major event in my life that my 86 was a part of. This is the first picture of the 86 in the garage of my first home. She lived in a garage at my apartment complex previously, but it was satisfying to know that she'll rest in her own garage moving forward.

Last edited by enigma; 01-28-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #9
enigma

February 20th, 2014
Summer setup... in February...?
Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway, Decatur, TX

One of my best friends lives in Dallas, TX and just has raved about Eagles Canyon since he moved down there. He convinced me to throw my summer setup on in the middle of a Kansas Winter (which, if you live in the midwest, can pretty much mean 70 degrees on Monday and 4" of snow by Friday), and make the 8 hour drive to Dallas for a weekend track day.

Unfortunately for me, I had GoPro issues and got no footage of this absolutely fantastic track. There's a little bit of everything here. Elevation change, switchbacks, fast corners, slow corners. It's just a fantastic facility. Though I haven't been to many tracks, this would be my favorite one (until my trip to High Plains Raceway in CO, which happens later!)

Saw this on track a few times...

...and this. Every bit as awesome as you've heard.

Had a great time playing around on track with this as well. Went out in the advanced group and an instructor was driving this student's GT3. The car was obviously massively quicker down the straight, but under braking and through the corner, I was about the same speed... maybe even a hair quicker. But again, it wasn't the instructor's personal car.

Also met this fellow 86'er who had a turbo setup (can't remember which one unfortunately). Got behind him once on a straight and it was downright comical how much quicker the car was down the straight. I unfortunately am terrible with names, so if you're on the forum, hello again! It was nice meeting you!

Unfortunately, this short clip is the only shred of video I have for the entire day.

https://flic.kr/p/ofnysP

March 19th, 2014
JDM Side Markers

Just a small mod!

April 6th, 2014
KCRSCCA Autocross Event 1 - The Fender Liner Incident!

Yeeeeeeeeeeah. I don't spend much time autocrossing anymore, but when I do, I still possess that competitive nature. STX in the KC Region contains some pretty stiff competition... and I may or may not have been trying a little too hard. Carried a bit too much speed going into a chicane and decided it would be wiser to go straight on into the grass rather than try to sling the car into a corner. The downside of that is tagging the cones lining the edge of the course. The result was damaging my brand new JDM sidemarker, destroying my driver front fender liner, and puncturing a line for my windshield washer reservoir. Nothing major, but man you should have seen my face when I pulled back into the paddock, got out, and saw fluid dumping out of the front of the car. Talk about heart attack! My mood quickly went from dread to relief when I realized it was just washer fluid leaking out.

We let the washer fluid drain, ripped the fender liner out, and finished out the rest of the afternoon, so all in all, still a good day. That's racing!

My bro and I co-drove my car at autocross events as I had the thicker sway bar and smaller wheels. This is him behind the wheel.

Was still in good spirits after the incident. Didn't mind snapping a silly photo.

April 8th, 2014
Quick Photoshoot with Kyle Lackey

A friend of mine is a photographer and a car guy, and was kind enough to snap a couple of pictures of the 86. We utilized downtown Kansas City's West Bottoms area and the 12th Street Bridge area.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (01-28-2015), Defuser (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #10
enigma

April 11th, 2014
GReddy CS GTS Ver 2, Winjet Headlights

Though my car had a Crawford Performance Axleback on it when I bought it, I knew I would do a catback system from day one. I also though the Crawford system, while having a great tone, was a bit on the loud side for me.

I opted for the GReddy CS GTS Ver 2 knowing that it appeared to be a high quality system, likely wouldn't make me go deaf, and lets be honest, it just looks brilliant.

The Winjets were another mod I knew I wanted from the day they were released. The OEM Series 10/Monogram/GT86 headlights look leaps and bounds better than the normal headlights, but I wasn't willing to shell out the price for those. The Winjets became the perfect alternative because of their affordable price.

Very excite!

Old vs. New

As you can see, I also got new brake pads and my... ahem... replacement side marker.

Compared to the OEM Series 10 light. As you can see, the outer edge of the OEM light is chrome, where the Winjet has a black housing. The LEDs are obviously higher quality on the OEM light as well. Overall, however, the quality of the Winjet seems to be acceptable.

Bumper removal for the headlights...

...and voila!

GReddy installed! My initial impressions, comically enough, were that it was too quiet. The tone was great, very smooth, and it makes a good noise. There just wasn't enough of it! Funny coming from a guy who was complaining that the old system was too loud. Header, overpipe, and front pipe were coming though...

April 16th, 2014
Another Heartland Park Touring Club Day

Another Wednesday track day! Touring Club is an inexpensive way to get on track @ Topeka because they hold the event on a Wednesday afternoon. It essentially runs from 12PM-sundown, and usually isn't super packed. Translation? Lots of track time! Not sure what happened, but I have no video footage from this event.

I don't usually like taking pics WITH the car, but a friend insisted.

I knew he'd snap some great footage, though.

I did, however, end up spending most of the afternoon driving this 86 and not my own... In fact, that's me behind the wheel there:

Why?

Oops. Remember how I said Heartland Park was notorious for eating tires? Well I knew after a few track days and daily driving the car, that this event would likely end my tires. I did not, however, anticipate the front tires looking like this after 2 sessions.

Got to see this thing go zooming by on track. It was absolutely jaw dropping how fast this thing was. The corner speeds were just other worldly. I believe this car still holds the TT1 lap record at Heartland Park.

April 26th, 2014
Just a quick shot from Cars and Coffee

Unfortunately, the Cars and Coffee event had an extremely low turnout due to sketchy weather. However, this was one of the first C7 Corvettes I saw in the flesh and I thought this photo came out rather nicely.

May 4th, 2014
KCRSCCA Event 2

Back on the horse. Nothing to report, just a great photo taken by a friend.

May 17th, 2014
Dyno Day

Oh the dyno. The land of disappointment when you have a slow car.

The good news? Comparing to my last dyno with just the Axleback and Intake (versus Catback and intake now), I didn't LOSE any power. I didn't gain any either, which is sort of a drag, but comparing the two side by side, they both made 170 earth shattering rwhp and 136 boot quivering rwtq (The numbers in the video are slightly different as they didn't have the right correction factor applied to compare to my last dyno).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNh7_DkYNw"]Scion FR-S Dyno 2014-05-17 - Intake and Catback Pull 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-I41RhfGI"]Scion FR-S Dyno 2014-05-17 - Intake and Catback Pull 3 - YouTube[/ame]

May 26th, 2014
HKS Header, Motiv Front Pipe and Overpipe

Time to finish up the exhaust! Going this route ended up saving approximately 20 lbs!

OEM:

HKS:

OEM:

Motiv:

Response seemed to get a bit better, torque dip was reduced as well. Still a hair quieter than I would like, however...
Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
enigma

May 28th, 2014
Branson Z Fest

Z? Hang on a second... I know, I know. I used to be a big Z guy, my brother and dad still are Z guys, so we still attend BZF every year. I think I've been to more BZFs NOT in a Z now than I have been in a Z. Great roads, great people, great event.

On the ferry cruise with a couple of Skylines

With my buddy's freshly purchased NSX... making me miss mine, which was also Berlina Black like his.

Small group out to dinner

What a slow car looks like... (My car on the left, bro's 10 Series on the right)

We only got two passes in before the rain came, but I'm still annoyed with myself for not getting the car into the 14's (argh, slow).

Both vids from my bro's 10 Series.

Race 1:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLE2_T4thE"]Branson Z Fest Dragstrip 02 vs Pete - YouTube[/ame]

Race 2 (much closer):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-52HNIhk4"]Branson Z Fest Dragstrip 03 vs Pete - YouTube[/ame]

June 16th, 2017
Adios Factory Warranty!

CEL was because I hadn't gotten the car tuned yet and the HKS header only had 1 O2 bung.

July 20th, 2014
KC86 Donuts, Drive, and Drafts Cruise

This is an Open Invite Event that KC86 hosts on occasion where we'll do exactly as the title says. Grab some donuts, go for a drive, then finish up with lunch.

]

650+ HP GT-R

August 16th, 2014
Nameless Longtube Header, Perrin Pullies, and ECUtek FT86 Stage 2 Tune

Thinking my HKS Header was too quiet, knowing my brother would want to take that off my hands, and reading everything about how effective the Nameless Header was supposed to be, I figured I'd give it a shot. The construction looks fantastic, install was a cinch.

I do have some concerns about the tubing being close to the intake, however. Haven't noticed any issues with it yet, though. I do enjoy the way the car sounds now, though. It's about the perfect volume, though it does drone a bit on the highway. Can I tell any discernible difference between the HKS and the Nameless?

Eh. Maybe. My brain told me the car pulled a little harder up top, but it's hard to say without having dyno'ed the HKS Header.

Perrin Pullies Installed. Truth be told, I was a little disappointed by these. They are marginally lighter than the OEM pullies, but I was not able to really *feel* any difference in how quickly the car revved.

Nameless (no cat) vs. HKS (cat)

And a random pic with a Blue Series BRZ while I was out driving the car post install.

August 30th, 2014
Pics w/the Miata

My brother are I are (hopefully... and slowly...) prepping an NA Miata for use in the World Racing League and Chump Car for Endurance Racing. I forget why I had both cars out and about together at once, but we snapped a few pics.

September 9th, 2014
High Plains Raceway

I. Love. This. Racetrack. This is absolutely my favorite track that I have been to so far. It's got loads of elevation change, lots of character, and just generally felt like a challenging, fun to master track. Well worth the 10 hour drive and the shenanigans that prefaced the track day. I was setting lap times in the 2:14s (just missed out on the 2:13s) by the end of the day.

I'll make a long story short. We left late from Kansas City. The hotel we were staying at was about an hour away from the track (there's hardly anything near the track) and we got in at approximately 2AM. Driver's meeting was at 7AM, meaning we theoretically had to leave the hotel by around 5:30-5:45. Kids, don't share a room with someone you know snores. After driving 10 hours, sleep evaded me and was replaced with the sweet sound of snore. After attempting to sleep in the 86, being bothered by a cricket who may as well have been snoring, I returned inside and made a desperate attempt to sleep... in the tub. I slept for about 45 minutes before we had to leave for the track day. Short story now long, I drove 10 hours to Colorado, did an 8 hour track day, and drove 10 hours home back to Kansas City on about an hour and 15 minutes of sleep (crashed for 30 min at a rest stop on the way home). Ill-advised, but High Plains Raceway was worth it.

This too, could be your 5 star sleeping quarters.

Prior to setting off.

Made another friend in the paddock. Another turbo 86! Again, I'm awful with names, so if you're on the forum, hello! It was nice meeting you! Again, the thing was wicked quick in a straight line. I find myself yearning for a supercharger...

]

Forgive me, as Harry's Lap Timer stopped working correctly halfway through both videos. Cliffnotes in the video description if you just want to see the "action." Also, please forgive the wind noise. I'm still trying to figure out the best way and best position to film these.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfJzZhcdzlw"]2014-09-26 - Scion FR-S - High Plains Raceway - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0wP6G2KoA"]2014-09-26 - Scion FR-S - High Plains Raceway 2 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-28-2015, 02:44 AM   #12
enigma

October 15th, 2014
Last Heartland Park Touring Club Event of 2014

Last track day of the year for me... always a sad feeling going into winter knowing that. Had some fun at this event though. There was some frustration getting stuck behind "faster" cars with more power that wouldn't give the point by, but some good fun trying like hell to keep up with a Ferrari F430 racecar and two Ferrari F355 Challenge cars (It went better than you would think). Oddly enough, looking @ the app I use (Harry's Lap Timer), one of the F355s was also running it and was consistently logging laps 1-2 seconds slower than me. I do enjoy playing the David role against all the Goliaths out there.

F355s in question:

This is what brake temperature looks like after trying like hell to reel in the F355s. If you can't read that, it says 744 degrees. Needless to say, I think it's time for some track-specific pads... Jeez.

Sharing some point by frustrations, and then having some fun with my buddy's NASA prepped Civic driven by a good friend, who I have much to learn from. I have a moment around 22:25 where I'm trying to keep up with his cornering speeds through the twistier sections of the track. The rear of my 86 says, nope!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtFfyERln8"]IMG 2865 - YouTube[/ame]

Beautiful Ferrari F430 noises in this video. And hilarious power difference at 3:50.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTImpJguWSE"]IMG 2863 - YouTube[/ame]

Ferrari content at the end of this one. This was my last session of the day. I was running out of gas, I wasn't planning on running long. It's hard to see in the video, but I was spurred on by the fact that little by little, I was pulling these two guys in. This video is mostly boring, but I finally go by one 355 at about 13:25.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPNfhlP4_Zw"]GOPR0006 - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet log, Pete! I really need to update mine...
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:00 AM   #14
enigma

The fun will be happening soon...

One year and five months after riding in my first supercharged 86, a Cosworth Supercharger has been ordered. Thanks to FT86 SpeedFactory!

Also ordered a Cosworth drop in filter and Perrin Oil Cooler as well. Have the Nameless Cam Plate and new spark plugs waiting around as well... Going to try out Eneos Sustina 0w20 for the next oil change as well.

The only downside is it looks like the supercharger won't be here until close to April!

Look for the write up of the S/C install though! Pics, videos, and reviews will be coming ASAP!

Last edited by enigma; 03-10-2015 at 03:15 AM.