follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #3263
SStratos

Drives: 2017 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
This.

- andrew

Since January watching the IMSA Datona 24hrs, and the news at that event that Continental was working with many championship winning drivers to develop their new Continental Extreme Contact Sport tire, I have been looking for and reading every testing article I can find on them like these two below which put them up favorably against the existing MPSS. Tires make a huge difference in how close to your ideal car usage goals you can get, and I was considering stepping back from the category of RE 71R, Rival S 1.5, and above mentioned Hankook, and into something like the CECS. This would dial me back to better streetable performance and less trackable performance, but still having enough performance to be used on the track on occasion.

What do you think about these? Have you tested-heard of anyone's experience with these tires?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/its-ext...contact-sport/

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx
SStratos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SStratos For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #3264
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStratos View Post
Since January watching the IMSA Datona 24hrs, and the news at that event that Continental was working with many championship winning drivers to develop their new Continental Extreme Contact Sport tire, I have been looking for and reading every testing article I can find on them like these two below which put them up favorably against the existing MPSS. Tires make a huge difference in how close to your ideal car usage goals you can get, and I was considering stepping back from the category of RE 71R, Rival S 1.5, and above mentioned Hankook, and into something like the CECS. This would dial me back to better streetable performance and less trackable performance, but still having enough performance to be used on the track on occasion.

What do you think about these? Have you tested-heard of anyone's experience with these tires?

I haven't tried them yet, but I would like to give them a shot. I've heard really good things and I may go for it in a month or so when I buy new wheels for my next car.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-14-2017), SStratos (06-16-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #3265
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Take a look at Falken's new 615K+. I have 2 track days on a set and love them. Much more grip than my old Hancook RS3. Even though they are a 200 tread wear they feel as good as my Nitto NT01's felt.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #3266
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStratos View Post

I tested a friends ND using these tires, who typically run the Michelins on his car. Performance is comparable but inferior to the PSS in the dry. Treadblocks seem to be taller on the conti's and it seems to translate to more road noise and feels squirmy. Supposedly very good in the wet, but I wouldnt know firsthand. Only driven in the dry.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
SStratos (06-16-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #3267
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Body roll and lifting a wheel

Hi all,

Considering stiffening up my suspension for weekend hillclimbs/sprints with an entry level spring and swaybar package. Just wondering if anyone has experienced lifting a wheel as a result of stiffer suspension. I'm thinking with such a low CG its unlikely.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #3268
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Hi all,

Considering stiffening up my suspension for weekend hillclimbs/sprints with an entry level spring and swaybar package. Just wondering if anyone has experienced lifting a wheel as a result of stiffer suspension. I'm thinking with such a low CG its unlikely.
The first factor will be how sticky of a tire you run, softer suspension is more likely to lift a wheel than stiffer suspension.

If the course has any curbs you clip you can lift a wheel on a totally stock car (how the pedal dance mode was discovered to be useful).
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #3269
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
I run medium compound AO50s. They're pretty sticky. What I'd read was that a stiffer rollbar will be more inclined to lift the inside tyre, but I think this is assuming the spring rate stays the same. I get that stiffer springs will reduce roll, and a company that produces packages like this would know what they're doing.

Suspension setup seems like more art than science.
strat61caster (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #3270
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I run medium compound AO50s. They're pretty sticky. What I'd read was that a stiffer rollbar will be more inclined to lift the inside tyre, but I think this is assuming the spring rate stays the same. I get that stiffer springs will reduce roll, and a company that produces packages like this would know what they're doing.

Suspension setup seems like more art than science.
Science!

I wouldn't let lifting a wheel stop you from increasing your roll stiffness...you do need it with those sticky tires. Stiffer swaybars are the cheap and easy "solution" but they do have their drawbacks. You would still be faster with stiffer bars, but coilovers would really be the way to go (possibly in addition to stiffer bars).

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-14-2017), Purist (07-17-2017), Tcoat (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #3271
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have Tein Flex A coil overs with swift 10K springs, 200 tread wear Falken 615K+ tires. Would stiffer sway bars reduce my lap times?
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #3272
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I have Tein Flex A coil overs with swift 10K springs, 200 tread wear Falken 615K+ tires. Would stiffer sway bars reduce my lap times?
Based on the information given? Who the heck knows.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-14-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #3273
Gearhead1

Drives: 2013 BRZ automatic
Caster, Camber & Tie Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You're way overthinking this.

RaceSeng top mounts have adjustable caster and camber. RCE top mounts have adjustable camber and a fixed amount of increased caster. I think Velox increases caster as well, but I'm not sure about that. Any one of these will be cheaper and easier than slapping together mismatched rod ends and hoping for the desired outcome. If you really want an adjustable front LCA, SPL makes one ($$$) and RacerX can custom make one to your specs.
I currently use camber bolts plus SPC cam bolts, and ovalled out holes in the struts to get -3 degrees camber. This requires spacers to keep the front tires from hitting the spring perches. Way too gimicky and those skinny cam bolts make me nervous.

With OE springs, top mounts have a limited range of adjustment-especially if you want a meaningful caster increase (2+ degrees). And you raise the front of the car.

RacerX adjustable LCA's with urethane bushings looked like the answer for me, but they no longer offer urethane. Spherical rod ends only, with recommended annual replacement.

A custom-built LCA is too pricey, but moving the trailing LCA pivot point looks relatively simple. It will get me the camber I want, but admittedly will only give me about a 1/3 of the caster increase I was looking for. It should still be feasible to add an offset to the front pivot point (WL or other) to gain another small bit of caster, however.

So, back to my original question--does anyone know a way to get increased tie rod length, without spherical rod ends?
Gearhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #3274
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1 View Post
With OE springs, top mounts have a limited range of adjustment-especially if you want a meaningful caster increase (2+ degrees). And you raise the front of the car.
The raceseng's don't raise the front by more than 1/10th of an inch or so, +1 degree of caster, way cheaper than an LCA, I loved them on my OE suspension+camber bolts, but hey, you do you.

When adding that much caster be careful, you may start overheating the power steering unit and loosing assist mid-corner.

Edit: for the steering rods, maybe WRX's are sized longer?

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-15-2017 at 06:52 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #3275
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The first factor will be how sticky of a tire you run, softer suspension is more likely to lift a wheel than stiffer suspension.

If the course has any curbs you clip you can lift a wheel on a totally stock car (how the pedal dance mode was discovered to be useful).
On the contrary. Softer springs allow more body roll before lifting a wheel. The stiffer you go and the shorter you go the sooner the inside wheel will lift. The more power you're trying to put down the softer you need to go with the springs on the drive axle.

There's only so much grip available. Whether that grip causes a lot of body roll or a little doesn't matter much. Roll control is about keeping the wheels upright, I.e. At the camber angle you decide you need, for as much of the suspension travel as you have. Shorter and stiffer springs reduce the camber change by reducing body roll. They also reduce the CG but, seriously the BRZ starts at 18 in CG height so dropping even two inches in ride height isn't making much difference.

The main effect of shorter stiffer springs is reducing camber change.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #3276
Gearhead1

Drives: 2013 BRZ automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The raceseng's don't raise the front by more than 1/10th of an inch or so, +1 degree of caster, way cheaper than an LCA, I loved them on my OE suspension+camber bolts, but hey, you do you.

When adding that much caster be careful, you may start overheating the power steering unit and loosing assist mid-corner.
Not sure about cheaper. RacerX adjustable LCA's list for $579. Raceseng's camber plates are $420 plus the cost of coilovers, correct?
Gearhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote