follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #1205
DJ72

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is illegal for lawyers to post on sites like this. I just had to pay $6,200 for a rebuilt motor. I have a 2013 frs with only 17,000 miles. This engine failure is rampant among 2013 frs’s that had the valve spring recall. Toyota knows that this is happening. It did not happen to nearly as many Subaru BRX’s because there were strict instructions to ensure technicians are very careful with the sealant. The owners should not have have to pay for the mistake. I am not a big fan of lawyers, but it is the only way to get Toyota to pay for a recall of the recall. I just want the money for the repair. I am not looking for some payout. I went back and forth with Toyota but seem to not care. I need the money a lot less then many of the owners out there. I have several Sunday cars, but they does not make it right. I work in the corporate world and see first hand what some of these companies try to get away with. A class action lawsuit and the fear of bad publicity is the only thing that will make them correct a wrong. That is why I posted the lawsuit info. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world.
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ72 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #1206
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
It is illegal for lawyers to post on sites like this. I just had to pay $6,200 for a rebuilt motor. I have a 2013 frs with only 17,000 miles. This engine failure is rampant among 2013 frs’s that had the valve spring recall. Toyota knows that this is happening. It did not happen to nearly as many Subaru BRX’s because there were strict instructions to ensure technicians are very careful with the sealant. The owners should not have have to pay for the mistake. I am not a big fan of lawyers, but it is the only way to get Toyota to pay for a recall of the recall. I just want the money for the repair. I am not looking for some payout. I went back and forth with Toyota but seem to not care. I need the money a lot less then many of the owners out there. I have several Sunday cars, but they does not make it right. I work in the corporate world and see first hand what some of these companies try to get away with. A class action lawsuit and the fear of bad publicity is the only thing that will make them correct a wrong. That is why I posted the lawsuit info. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world.

I had mine done and I know others in my area that had it done without issues. Failure occurs from techs who are not qualified or trained properly take on this complex recall. It happened to a number of FRS's as well as BRZ's however failures come from dealerships that are cutting corners or not properly trained. The recall itself is not flawed, as it can be completed properly by someone qualified and trained. If you have a dealership cutting corners it is easy to see how this could result in a failure. So blame your dealers subpar service dept before you go blaming Toyota or Subaru. There are a number of Toyota dealerships in the country that have successfully completed many J02 recalls without issues. I don't think this is as wide spread as you may think.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (09-25-2019), Tcoat (09-24-2019), why? (09-25-2019), YamahaR86 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #1207
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Before anybody runs and gets into a class action lawsuit they should read up on what they are getting into before making that decision.
Here https://www.frugalconfessions.com/ex...uits-examples/ is a decent article about it and some very important key points are:

- Individual rights to sue are gone
- You’ll likely Receive Less Money than if You sue individually
- Money is taxable
- And a big one here, here’s a rundown of how the money is divided up:
Lawyers First: The lawyer generally worked on contingency, meaning they weren’t paid for their work. So, they get a percentage of the overall settlement amount.
Lead Plaintiff Cut: The lead plaintiff generally gets their percentage next, as they put in more time than the other plaintiffs and/or have more damages/injuries.
Class Action Members: The remaining amount gets divided among the rest of the members.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Gunman (09-24-2019), why? (09-25-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #1208
DJ72

Any of the 2013 FR-S’s that have had no issues yet, god bless you, but you are certainly not out of the woods yet. I am very well versed on all motors, including the Boxer motor. A Toyota mechanic is going to have no clue how to properly handle the sealant if not instructed properly for a Boxer motor. It is not a Toyota motor. That is why I bring my Mercedes to a Mercedes mechanic and my BMW to a BMW mechanic because every make requires a different expertise. I got the FR-S for my son and I think it is a nice vehicle. It is when a corporation makes an error, knows it and does not rectify it properly, is when there is an issue. These engine failures can put drivers into some scary, dangerous situations. I think especially of all the young drivers that love there cars, but then can’t afford to fix it when something like this happens.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:55 AM   #1209
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Before anybody runs and gets into a class action lawsuit they should read up on what they are getting into before making that decision.
Here https://www.frugalconfessions.com/ex...uits-examples/ is a decent article about it and some very important key points are:

- Individual rights to sue are gone
- You’ll likely Receive Less Money than if You sue individually
- Money is taxable
- And a big one here, here’s a rundown of how the money is divided up:
Lawyers First: The lawyer generally worked on contingency, meaning they weren’t paid for their work. So, they get a percentage of the overall settlement amount.
Lead Plaintiff Cut: The lead plaintiff generally gets their percentage next, as they put in more time than the other plaintiffs and/or have more damages/injuries.
Class Action Members: The remaining amount gets divided among the rest of the members.

In this god awful situation it's the principle of the matter could help a domino effect of dealers covering this mess with no having to beg them to fix your car ............ can't blame these people for trying , imagine if you were in these people shoes , just not right .... if anything it's cool to see someone taking a god damn stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswbrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #1210
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
In this god awful situation it's the principle of the matter could help a domino effect of dealers covering this mess with no having to beg them to fix your car ............ can't blame these people for trying , imagine if you were in these people shoes , just not right .... if anything it's cool to see someone taking a god damn stand

All in favour of people taking a stand and have said so many times. Unfortunately I do not believe that a class action against Toyota is the right stand and is doomed to fail. The individual dealers are who are responsible here and suing Toyota will not change the dealers minds at all. Not sure if people are clear that Toyota dealerships are not Toyota Corporate. They are privately owned companies selling Toyota's. They buy their stock from them, they get paid to do warranty work (at a reduced rate of course) and they get incentives for selling more but that is the end of the relationship. Toyota sent out instructions on how to do the work and if those were not followed then the issues that have come up are the responsibility of the dealers. Each individual dealer that refused to make good on their screw up should be the stand being made. That costs money though so people think a "free" class action is better. I bet a beer it will fail as too vague.

As far as the new guy posting the info goes I am still not convinced he is not a shill for the law firm. There are some serious flaws in his data and assumptions that make him appear uninformed and his appearance out of the blue is suspicious. Not sure enough on this one to bet a beer. Yet!
Dadhawk (10-03-2019), DarkPira7e (09-27-2019), why? (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #1211
DJ72

The only reason that I jumped on the board recently, is because the 2013 FR-S that my son drives just went through this situation. Otherwise, I would not be on here. If your 2013 FR-S had engine failure after the JO2 recall due to oil starvation, that is on Toyota. If Toyota has a recall for this, of course every dealer has no choice but to comply. There are people on here that have no idea what they are talking about. If you don’t have a 2013, app hy are you even responding. Also, in regards to a class action suit, the owners just want to be compensated for the repair work. It costs us nothing. Hiring a personal attorney will cost money and not help all the young drivers that can’t afford one. I am doing this for the right reasons. It seems there are people on here that work for Toyota and are trying to defend the inevitable. Toyota will pay, but noise has got to be made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ72 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (09-24-2019), SuperTom (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #1212
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
The only reason that I jumped on the board recently, is because the 2013 FR-S that my son drives just went through this situation. Otherwise, I would not be on here. If your 2013 FR-S had engine failure after the JO2 recall due to oil starvation, that is on Toyota. If Toyota has a recall for this, of course every dealer has no choice but to comply. There are people on here that have no idea what they are talking about. If you don’t have a 2013, app hy are you even responding. Also, in regards to a class action suit, the owners just want to be compensated for the repair work. It costs us nothing. Hiring a personal attorney will cost money and not help all the young drivers that can’t afford one. I am doing this for the right reasons. It seems there are people on here that work for Toyota and are trying to defend the inevitable. Toyota will pay, but noise has got to be made.
1) I will bloody well respond if I want to. This is one small section of the forum and it is not restricted to 13 owners.

2) It is the dealer techs that screwed up. That is on the individual dealer not Toyota.

3) A class action suit against the wrong defendant will net you nothing. If I had the failure I would be after the dealer where is is almost a sure win.

4) Your reason can be right but with your miss information your method is wrong.

5) To the best of my knowledge nobody here works for Toyota. Pretty safe guess that Toyota's legal do read this though so people best watch what they say.

6) Will you hold your son's hand and fight is battles forever? What a nice daddy.

7) the situation sucks it really does but I think a class action is leading people down the garden pass, is doomed and will prevent people from doing what they should be doing.

8) Good luck to all and we will see what happens in 2 to 5 years when it is heard.
Dadhawk (10-03-2019), why? (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #1213
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
No they should not have the pull the engine JUST for the oil pan.
If that was the case then every person who put a turbo kit on their car with the oil return to the pan would've pulled the engine...and you can imagine how expensive that turbo kit just became. Know what I mean?

Further proof.
Yeah they didn't have to. Sometimes I think the techs should think twice before speaking They pulled my pan and found a fair bit of sealant in the pickup so cleaned it out and reassembled. They checked the oil pressure through the range from cold to hot, cold and hot started the car without hearing the clatter that was there before and called it good. It has fresh oil in there now so I'll probably send it in for analysis after a few thousand miles and see what it says. They're confident they got it taken care of so hopefully all is well going forward but at least it's documented that there was a problem after the work was done.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #1214
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
I have firmly decided not to pursue the J02 recall on my FRS.

I spoke with a local dealership. I will not name them, in appreciation of their honesty.

Since the recall was launched, they have conducted 15 repairs.
Of those, 4 suffered catastrophic engine failure within 6-12 months, 5-10K miles.

Toyota evaluated all 4 cases. They deemed that none of the 4 were due to the repair, and therefore would not receive any financial assistance with subsequent repairs.

I would rather drop a valve spring and have to do a top end repair, than wipe bearings and have to do an even larger repair, IN ADDITION to having the engine out twice.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (09-28-2019), Impureclient (09-27-2019), Tcoat (09-27-2019), why? (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #1215
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post

If only we who live in Calif had that option.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
marco1ca (09-28-2019), Tcoat (09-27-2019), Ultramaroon (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #1216
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
If only we who live in Calif had that option.

That’s for sure. After I get mine done I’m going to consider selling it. The chassis and driving dynamics are great but I want to try something different so the timing of the recall works well.

PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PWBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #1217
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWBRZ View Post
That’s for sure. After I get mine done I’m going to consider selling it. The chassis and driving dynamics are great but I want to try something different so the timing of the recall works well.

A great car for California! -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #1218
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post

I spoke with a local dealership. I will not name them, in appreciation of their honesty.

Since the recall was launched, they have conducted 15 repairs.
Of those, 4 suffered catastrophic engine failure within 6-12 months, 5-10K miles.

Toyota evaluated all 4 cases. They deemed that none of the 4 were due to the repair, and therefore would not receive any financial assistance with subsequent repairs.

I would rather drop a valve spring and have to do a top end repair, than wipe bearings and have to do an even larger repair, IN ADDITION to having the engine out twice.
Well there's no other way to describe that than shitty. Almost 30% have catastrophic failures after recall "repair" and Toyota says too bad.
After hearing that, I know the next 86 coming from Toyota with a boxer is on my never list if they go that way.
I can see how somebody would think that jumping into a clash action lawsuit would be beneficial but with so many failures happening here,
but any competent lawyer should see the potential for an easy win here and slam dunk this real quick on a case by case basis.

This is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth for buying Toyota products if this is how they treat their customers. I figured I was trading
in for a 2nd gen. 86 when they come out and my son is getting very close to buying a Tacoma that was based off my recommendation.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-03-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue