follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 AM   #225
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
GTX2867R ordered today! That'll be replacing my pte4854b.

As for the oil cooler, as you can see in my previous post w the pic of my engine bay, I have a Perrin oil cooler. Where is it mounted? Well, when I got my kit, I got the JDL crash bar which replaces the Oem crash beam. At that time, I don't think there was a solution for oil cooler mounting so @nelsmar and I mmmm "fabbed" a mount and I use the word "fabbed" loosely lol. You guys can ask him about that. As of right now, it is mounted on the crash beam above the front mount interposed. Seems to be doing it's job well with it's current location. I wonder if putting the cooler behind the fogs will still work with keeping things cool. Someone wanna try it and do some logs?!👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesse had recommended the GTX2867R to me. My best guess is you won't be disappointed.

For the oil cooler, only time will tell until someone gets it installed.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #226
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
Jesse had recommended the GTX2867R to me. My best guess is you won't be disappointed.

For the oil cooler, only time will tell until someone gets it installed.
Yep same here. That's why I went with it.

On the drain note: it looks like I ordered the wrong one I got the fancy one but it's way off on the bolt distance.

And...another plus for jdl. Remember my downpipe and how one of my sensors didn't work. I'm used to custom building stuff so it wasn't a big deal. Ronnie called me about some of my other stuff and actually commented about my forum post and the bung location. Explained the root cause and it fixing it (the explanation why was big with me. I do that all day at work so I liked the actual reason other than some bs excuse.

I'll post and oil cooler review this weekend. Mine should be here Thursday or Friday. I won't have actual data though. Just an install review. They had the kit ready to ship today but wanted to powdercoat the brackets first so I'd have a nice finished product. Fine with me.
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erok81 For This Useful Post:
Rybot (06-30-2015), yomny (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #227
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
GTX2867R ordered today! That'll be replacing my pte4854b.

As for the oil cooler, as you can see in my previous post w the pic of my engine bay, I have a Perrin oil cooler. Where is it mounted? Well, when I got my kit, I got the JDL crash bar which replaces the Oem crash beam. At that time, I don't think there was a solution for oil cooler mounting so @nelsmar and I mmmm "fabbed" a mount and I use the word "fabbed" loosely lol. You guys can ask him about that. As of right now, it is mounted on the crash beam above the front mount interposed. Seems to be doing it's job well with it's current location. I wonder if putting the cooler behind the fogs will still work with keeping things cool. Someone wanna try it and do some logs?!👍

Please explain lol, Having similar setup, what was needed to replace the turbo unit? I'm assuming the oil feed line is different, you have the water cooling parts, what about exhaust components. I recall you having vband already so your downpipe fits? Thanks and happy to hear you upgraded.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #228
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Please explain lol, Having similar setup, what was needed to replace the turbo unit? I'm assuming the oil feed line is different, you have the water cooling parts, what about exhaust components. I recall you having vband already so your downpipe fits? Thanks and happy to hear you upgraded.
@yomny appears to be considering switching.

This should be interesting.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #229
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
Yep same here. That's why I went with it.

On the drain note: it looks like I ordered the wrong one I got the fancy one but it's way off on the bolt distance.

And...another plus for jdl. Remember my downpipe and how one of my sensors didn't work. I'm used to custom building stuff so it wasn't a big deal. Ronnie called me about some of my other stuff and actually commented about my forum post and the bung location. Explained the root cause and it fixing it (the explanation why was big with me. I do that all day at work so I liked the actual reason other than some bs excuse.

I'll post and oil cooler review this weekend. Mine should be here Thursday or Friday. I won't have actual data though. Just an install review. They had the kit ready to ship today but wanted to powdercoat the brackets first so I'd have a nice finished product. Fine with me.
Was the root cause a build fixture that allowed for the bung locations to be welded off?

Let me know how well the oil cooler fits around the fogs. I'm hoping it still won't interfere.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #230
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
@yomny appears to be considering switching.

This should be interesting.
Lol, just curious as to what parts are exchanged in the upgrade. I'm good with my little guy and I'm seeing this precision customer service experience through. I honestly can't afford upgrading now no matter what the cost. Still have to get the oil cooler. I'm pretty happy with the way the car performs. It's fun and it pulls very nicely, smile to the face every time that little precision guy is pushing them mere 10psi lol. I'm honestly more worried and interested about the reliability aspect, I'm all about oem reliability(given that's a good one lol). I like things clean and nicely done. Let's see what turns up. Still waiting on the RMA number to ship.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #231
Rybot

Quote:
Lol, just curious as to what parts are exchanged in the upgrade. I'm good with my little guy and I'm seeing this precision customer service experience through. I honestly can't afford upgrading now no matter what the cost. Still have to get the oil cooler. I'm pretty happy with the way the car performs. It's fun and it pulls very nicely, smile to the face every time that little precision guy is pushing them mere 10psi lol. I'm honestly more worried and interested about the reliability aspect, I'm all about oem reliability(given that's a good one lol). I like things clean and nicely done. Let's see what turns up. Still waiting on the RMA number to ship.
I'd imagine reliability would increase the less boost you acquire, so around 8 might be perfect for long term and 12 for track/auto x. Though I say this and want to run 12 full time.

But I'm hoping yours gets fixed soon.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #232
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

In order to replace the turbo, just new the turbo itself , the flange for the feed is different, but still retain the same feed AN fitting and line , and some coolant hoses will be needed which will be coming from the throttle body. The vband will also fit. According to Ronnie, it's a direct bolt on fit.

With a ball bearing turbo vs the journal bearing , the turbo will spool a little faster , throttle response will be somewhat better, there will be a more linear smooth feel when boosting, lower amount of oil needed for lubrication which means less chances for oil leaks lol ahem. I'm sure there are other things as well but the differences are not that huge over the pte4854 that we have now . My justification for upgrading is basically due to the reasons stated above and the possibility of hitting 450hp easier when the motor is built in the near future. Turbo should be amazing w spool times w port and polished heads.

Anyways that's my rant. Lol.

ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #233
Rybot

Quote:
In order to replace the turbo, just new the turbo itself , the flange for the feed is different, but still retain the same feed AN fitting and line , and some coolant hoses will be needed which will be coming from the throttle body. The vband will also fit. According to Ronnie, it's a direct bolt on fit.

With a ball bearing turbo vs the journal bearing , the turbo will spool a little faster , throttle response will be somewhat better, there will be a more linear smooth feel when boosting, lower amount of oil needed for lubrication which means less chances for oil leaks lol ahem. I'm sure there are other things as well but the differences are not that huge over the pte4854 that we have now . My justification for upgrading is basically due to the reasons stated above and the possibility of hitting 450hp easier when the motor is built in the near future. Turbo should be amazing w spool times w port and polished heads.

It's also water cooled, mind you. That's the main reason I'd be going for the gtx. Much less heat soak.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #234
yomny

Quote:

Not too complicated, given the turbo fits on my manifold not sure if the gtx uses or could be made to use the t3 flange as I don't have vband there. lol.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #235
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My gtx turbo is v band off of the manifold. So you won't have a direct swap. Unless you can get the turbine in a flange like you have.
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #236
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
He's getting his T3 housing since the manifold is already T3 flanged. Other than the GT specific bits it's a direct swap

JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDLAutoDesign For This Useful Post:
ft86me (06-30-2015), yomny (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #237
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
My gtx turbo is v band off of the manifold. So you won't have a direct swap. Unless you can get the turbine in a flange like you have.
I posted too fast, see above.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #238
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
He's getting his T3 housing since the manifold is already T3 flanged. Other than the GT specific bits it's a direct swap

That'd be easy if @yomny ordered a housing swap.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote