follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catted vs Catless Headers Power Gains differences

Tried to look it up within the forum as much as possible, but couldn't find
something that specific. In case it does, re-direction would be most
welcome .

Well the title is pretty much self-explanatory. Basically, I have stock
exhaust with TRD Quad tip exhaust muffler and I am thinking of installing
headers with respective ECUTEK Tuning.

The question is whether the catted header power gains worth the value for
money. Compared to the catless ones, where the gains are pretty much
known, how much less gains are there with catted headers, for the exact
same set up?

And when I am talking abt headers, I mean both EL and UEL Question
applies to both of them.

Many thanks to all guys!
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vagthomas For This Useful Post:
Trust86 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I asked this question once, and while every header is different, the average difference was about 10-15 hp. Doesn't really matter if EL or UEL, that just decides where in the rpm band the bulk of the power will be.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
vagthomas (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
vagthomas

By this do you mean that with catted header you make 15 ps less than catless?
After searching in the forum I have concluded that catless with tuning may give arnd 20 whp.
Is this correct?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sub'd good post

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagthomas View Post
By this do you mean that with catted header you make 15 ps less than catless?
After searching in the forum I have concluded that catless with tuning may give arnd 20 whp.
Is this correct?
I read that a header, tune dependent, will net you about 20-30 hp. That's catless. So a catted one will probably get you about 10-15?
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
vagthomas (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would expect very little. The stock header is a 4-2-1 and doesn't look like it's robbing much power except for the cat.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
guybo (11-26-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
StraightOuttaCanadaEh: but most of those 10-15 will come from tune. And catted aftermarket headers are not guaranteed to not get CEL with stock tune, just lessened chances, and also not exactly legal if anything done to stock cats including relocation/replacement with non-stock (which is the case) too. And it costs more then catless. That all makes catted aftermarket headers way less desirable, more expensive, less gains, and not legal too if inspection checks.
Imho better install aftermarket air filter + ecu tune OR go for catless header + ecu tune (with which disable cat readiness checks too for no CELs) leaving 2ndary cat in frontpipe stock. Cheaper/more power/as "legal" as catted aftermarket header. And you get also gains that aftermarket catted one brings, like change to sound (if UEL) with catted one too. About the only thing one has to remember with catless, that it's one of things that rise exhaust loudness, so some louder catbacks may result in too loud result if combined with catless header.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
vagthomas (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
StraightOuttaCanadaEh: but most of those 10-15 will come from tune. And catted aftermarket headers are not guaranteed to not get CEL with stock tune, just lessened chances, and also not exactly legal if anything done to stock cats including relocation/replacement with non-stock (which is the case) too. And it costs more then catless. That all makes catted aftermarket headers way less desirable, more expensive, less gains, and not legal too if inspection checks.
Imho better install aftermarket air filter + ecu tune OR go for catless header + ecu tune (with which disable cat readiness checks too for no CELs) leaving 2ndary cat in frontpipe stock. Cheaper/more power/as "legal" as catted aftermarket header. And you get also gains that aftermarket catted one brings, like change to sound (if UEL) with catted one too. About the only thing one has to remember with catless, that it's one of things that rise exhaust loudness, so some louder catbacks may result in too loud result if combined with catless header.
That last point is one of the concerns. I'm going for the catted header and front pipe to control sound and smell, but still have some performance following a tune. I wouldn't change anything on my car without getting a tune. In fact, I was planning to get a tune while the car is stock just to optimize it for the fuel that I use daily, but it is expensive so it's kind of on the backburner. But yeah, smell is a huge concern. I find driving behind catless cars extremely unpleasant so I wouldn't want to put anyone else on the road through that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
86geek (10-18-2017), Mr.Impreza (10-18-2017), mrg666 (10-21-2017), Yousend (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
The difference is not that big. Do you have a difference of 10-15hp just because of the cat? Really? A correctly designed catted header can be quite efficient. An example is the redesigned '17 factory header which provides very good results. A user swapped this header with an aftermarket catless one and a better exhaust and the difference in peak power was just 3 hp! Torque dip and gains in this area is another story as it was designed on purpose to pass emission standards and give a better fuel economy.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-18-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
vagthomas

Id like to thank everybody for all this valuable information. Except the TRD Muffler, my rest exhaust is stock. Within the month i am going for ECUTEK tuning, basically with stock exhaust set up and I was just thinking whether worths it to also go for cutted headers.
I am expecting +10 with tuning and based on what ive read +5 to +10 additional if cutted headers.
Does this sound reasonable?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The difference is not that big. Do you have a difference of 10-15hp just because of the cat? Really? A correctly designed catted header can be quite efficient.
A correctly designed cat is positioned as close to the head port as reasonably possible, which is detrimental to exhaust flow. A correctly designed cat that is efficient would also have lower cpi/higher flow capabilities than a stock cat. I wouldn't put much faith in the 3 hp over stock test you referenced.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
vagthomas (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagthomas View Post
Id like to thank everybody for all this valuable information. Except the TRD Muffler, my rest exhaust is stock. Within the month i am going for ECUTEK tuning, basically with stock exhaust set up and I was just thinking whether worths it to also go for cutted headers.
I am expecting +10 with tuning and based on what ive read +5 to +10 additional if cutted headers.
Does this sound reasonable?
Yes. This is pretty much what you can expect. You should also use a better air filter. The factory one is pretty restrictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I wouldn't put much faith in the 3 hp over stock test you referenced.
It is fine, not many put much faith on the new exhaust manifold because "older is better..." :b

Here is the reference: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=1

Last edited by nikitopo; 10-18-2017 at 01:57 PM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-20-2017), vagthomas (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I do not recommend an aftermarket header with a catalytic converter. Besides the power issues, the increased flow (and heat) will wear the converter away much faster. Not sure about the high flow cats manufacturers are using for their parts on the 86 platform, but I've seen them wear away in as little as 2 years on another platform.

I recommend a high flow catalytic converter in the front pipe instead. Minimal power difference but a significant portion of the benefits of having a cat. converter.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #14
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
High flow cars are called "high flow" only due marketing reasons. They are normal cats just less dense / lesser cell count / less effective to actually clean up exhaust gases. But of course they are freer flowing, and "high flow" sounds much better then "less effective". There are no "magic cats" that are both less pressure drop and as effective as stock, no free candy, at least at similar part cost budget.
So those aftermarket headers with high flow cats are somewhere inbetween stock and catless. One can choose his own poison, but i'm still thinking that it's worth to not touch stock cats at all or go catless header & leaving frontpipe's stock cat, not something in-between, due bad price-performancy. Catless + 1stock cat should be similar to complete cylinder back exhaust set with both cats changed to "high-flow" aftermarket ones .. but not suggesting that due that being even worse priced bang for buck wise.
As many succeeded passing MOT tests (where they don't check visual, but analyze actual exhaust gases) with one stock cat, imho it should be reasonably efficient, if anything should suffer, then cat's efficiency during cold starts, when cat is not yet upto working temps (reason why header's cat is in such hurting flow position close to cylinders is for it to heat up sooner for tests of gases from cold start by newest standards (hmm, was it euro4 or euro5?)).

Last edited by churchx; 10-18-2017 at 02:39 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
freerunner (11-06-2017), Mr.Impreza (10-20-2017), vagthomas (10-18-2017)