follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Dragon780

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Can I recharge a non dead battery

Hi guys,

Since last winter when my battery was dead for a week since I didn't turn it on
After I recharged it it still seems kinda weak at times.

Is it ideal to charge it when it's not dead and what kind of charging method if any should I use

Thanks guys
Dragon780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Remove from the car and stick it on a trickle charge using a good quality battery charger/conditioner. It takes a battery through various cycles to charge it properly.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
guybo (06-03-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
dcfr

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine was dead too last winter and I used the NORCO battery charger from CT and back in action again after 2 recharge cycle each 8 hours long.
dcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon780 View Post
Hi guys,

Since last winter when my battery was dead for a week since I didn't turn it on
After I recharged it it still seems kinda weak at times.

Is it ideal to charge it when it's not dead and what kind of charging method if any should I use

Thanks guys

I would suggest to buy a new one.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If you let a normal car battery (lead acid) fully did charge, it will never charge to full capacity. It will often have full voltage but not the amp-hr of a new battery.
Often it will work in good conditions but in the dead of winter it will fail when you need it most. ie. leaving work at 7pm when it has started to snow and you are expected home.
You could find someone with a load tester to find out its current state. Some auto parts stores will do it for free.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
cjny

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lead acid batteries do not react well to being fully discharged, especially if it sits around fully discharged for any length of time. You have probably damaged your battery, diminishing its capacity. There's probably no way to fix it.
cjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Dragon780

Drives: Scion FRS
Garage
Ya cause sometimes when I turn my car on
My left light like blinks then turns on and just started not long ago

And if I were to get a new battery
What type of battery is of better quality
Dragon780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #8
Andr3w

Drives: Corolla
I had the same issue last weekend when I took my car out of storage after being parked for 6 months in the cold.

Did a jump, and tried charging it with another car for 15 minutes. After doing some reading online, I decided to replace it. From what I gathered, completely discharging a lead battery ruins it and it will never retain the same capacity as it was before.

There are some batteries that allow for deep cycling, which from my understanding means you can run through a sequence of charging and discharging to return the battery to original state.

Then there's the option of going with a light weight battery for weight saving because race car. However, those tend to have a smaller capacity (less material, different material? I don't know) and require frequent driving to keep the battery running.

In the end I went with a Kirkland battery from costco. From what I read, the supplier for the Kirkland brand is actually a really well known battery manufacturer that also produces the AGM Exide batteries. Don't quote me on that. Brand name or not, the warranty was too good to pass up on. For $105+tax vs oem honda $170+tax, the costco battery has a free replacement for the first 3 years, then each year after the initial 3 years has a reduced % of refund.

Edit: lesson learned - start up car occasionally to keep battery alive or use a trickle charger.

Andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post
I had the same issue last weekend when I took my car out of storage after being parked for 6 months in the cold.

Did a jump, and tried charging it with another car for 15 minutes. After doing some reading online, I decided to replace it. From what I gathered, completely discharging a lead battery ruins it and it will never retain the same capacity as it was before.

There are some batteries that allow for deep cycling, which from my understanding means you can run through a sequence of charging and discharging to return the battery to original state.

Then there's the option of going with a light weight battery for weight saving because race car. However, those tend to have a smaller capacity (less material, different material? I don't know) and require frequent driving to keep the battery running.

In the end I went with a Kirkland battery from costco. From what I read, the supplier for the Kirkland brand is actually a really well known battery manufacturer that also produces the AGM Exide batteries. Don't quote me on that. Brand name or not, the warranty was too good to pass up on. For $105+tax vs oem honda $170+tax, the costco battery has a free replacement for the first 3 years, then each year after the initial 3 years has a reduced % of refund.

Edit: lesson learned - start up car occasionally to keep battery alive or use a trickle charger.

Starting a car occasionally during storage does not help. As each time you start the car it drains the battery then leaving idling for a period won't allow enough charge therefore it's best that the battery is connected to a trickle charger as this will keep the battery in a healthy condition.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Andr3w (06-24-2017), cjny (06-25-2017), nikitopo (06-24-2017), Ultramaroon (06-24-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The battery fitted to manual transmission BRZ is too small for our conditions. At the first sign of trouble fit the larger size that is specified for the automatic transmission cars. Or even bigger if you can find a bigger one that will fit.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote