follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
IgG

Drives: 19' Subaru BRZ w/PP, WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to remove push button console panel?

I want to swap push button with STI one, but have absolutely no luck with removal of that stupid console trim with pocket. Subaru manual is a joke and there is no real helpful info on Youtube or here. Folks just say, push and pull...First of all there is absolutely no room to put your hand or finger behind trim from under knee support panel and without push pulling trim from the front is like trying to grab an eel. USB hub doesn't eant to come out either.. There is no grip whatsoever. How did you guys do it? Where exactly do you push or else? I am desperate. Help please with more details.
IgG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I mean, they aren't wrong. The pieces do just pop out. They are well secured though. I can say that having a set of plastic interior removal tools is immensely helpful. If you're trying to do it with just your hands I can see why you might be struggling.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Use the cubby insert as placement for your fingers (against sidewalls), and thumbs go along the edge or bottom part of the trim. Then pull, some force is required, nothing should break. I think ft86speedfactory has a video if my description doesn't help.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
IgG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
I mean, they aren't wrong. The pieces do just pop out. They are well secured though. I can say that having a set of plastic interior removal tools is immensely helpful. If you're trying to do it with just your hands I can see why you might be struggling.
Do you mean any random plastic removal tool set or specific shape is important? I tried to pry with very small flat screwdriver and upper corner above start button popped out, but no more. The rest is stubborn and no room to squeeze in anything thicker than paper thin knife.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82850

Just keep working at it, it is very difficult sometimes.

And yes, removal tool sets have various shapes and sizes that you can try based on where you need to use it. I would avoid using a screwdriver of any kind as you will likely mess up either the piece you are prying out, or the piece you are prying against.

There is also a DIY that explains how you can try going around the back:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43765
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Opie (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
IgG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82850

Just keep working at it, it is very difficult sometimes.

And yes, removal tool sets have various shapes and sizes that you can try based on where you need to use it. I would avoid using a screwdriver of any kind as you will likely mess up either the piece you are prying out, or the piece you are prying against.

There is also a DIY that explains how you can try going around the back:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43765
Thanks for the links and your support! I found them earlier and they were missing tiny details I really need to make it work. I ordered set of those plastic removal tools and will try this again on Monday, when it arrives along with package from Japan with button and other STI stuff. I will add details here if I succeed.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgG View Post
Do you mean any random plastic removal tool set or specific shape is important? I tried to pry with very small flat screwdriver and upper corner above start button popped out, but no more. The rest is stubborn and no room to squeeze in anything thicker than paper thin knife.
Remove the passenger side trim below the triangle knee pad. It is long rectangle. Reach your fingers under it and pull at either end to release the snaps.

Reach behind the USB port and push on the back of it. It should feel like a large Lego block. It snaps in, so just push on the block hard enough. Once it is unclipped, pull it out more to expose the wire and unclip it from the harness.

Stick your finger in the usb slot, so you can grip the tray. Pull on that, and it should also pop loose. You could removed the driver's panel, so your fingers can assist on the other side, but this is not necessary. Unclip the Start button.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
IgG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Remove the passenger side trim below the triangle knee pad. It is long rectangle. Reach your fingers under it and pull at either end to release the snaps.

Reach behind the USB port and push on the back of it. It should feel like a large Lego block. It snaps in, so just push on the block hard enough. Once it is unclipped, pull it out more to expose the wire and unclip it from the harness.

Stick your finger in the usb slot, so you can grip the tray. Pull on that, and it should also pop loose. You could removed the driver's panel, so your fingers can assist on the other side, but this is not necessary. Unclip the Start button.
Ok, so after good morning hike and tasty lunch and with all your help I tried again today and did it!

1. As seen from picture, i first pryed left upper corner with small very flat screwdriver. That corner was more loose than the rest of panel so it was an easy start.

2. Then I used 8 inch pry bar to push USB port switch out. I made sure to place it on 1/3 of open back body of USB switch (not connector, which takes another 2/3) while using flashlight. That way you won't brake connector or anything else. It required substantial amount of strength to be applied and I almost thought I will brake it. But it suddenly moved forward a little and then I pushed it out with finger and unplugged connector. I tucked connector inside to leave opening for finger.

After several unsuccessful tries with bare hands I used microfiber towel and wrapped my left fist and slightly pushed the remainder it into USB hole. I guess using fluffy gloves would work too. Point is you need a good grip as well as protection from panel plastic cutting into your left hand finger in USB hole. So I grabbed with my right hand finger upper panel part from inside of USB hole and while pulling middle compartment with left hand at the same time, I managed to pop out right side of panel. Yes, significant amount of force needed here.

3. Middle upper clip is very sturdy and stubborn and would not move even with force applied from inside of USB hole and middle compartment. So I used small metal soldering hook, which looks like pry bar. I managed to pry middle clip and then easily removed panel from bottom clips by just pulling it while holding middle compartment and USB hole with microfiber wrapped fingers. Plastic trim removal tool set would be handy here though, as I did scratch trim a little, though not a big deal (see second photo).

NOTE: I applied masking tape onto middle console right next to the button panel. Without it I would have easily scratched the surface of console while pulling it out.

Now waiting for the button to arrive on Monday. Will post pictures once all is done.

Thanks guys again for help and encouragement!
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i've done it about 5-6 times, just with my hands...

that whole part is made out of an almost rubbery plastic. polypropylene. yank, crank, and twist it. it will give, and it won't break.

i usually pull on the start button tit while putting my hand in the cubby and twisting up/down until the top or bottom pops. after one side pops the other side isn't far behind.
Irace86.2.0 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any damage to my trim would irritate me enough that I would be selling the car... or getting damaged part replaced... Can not live with a chipped, clipped, twisted or deformed part...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Any damage to my trim would irritate me enough that I would be selling the car... or getting damaged part replaced... Can not live with a chipped, clipped, twisted or deformed part...
Everyone has to start somewhere. Trading a 30 dollar used part for experience seems good enough. Now he'll know not to use knives on plastic trim
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
JD001 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
IgG

I am actually going to buy new panel from my local Subaru dealer. Just $4.70.. Almost for free..

https://parts.raffertysubaru.com/p/S...2126CA040.html
The Following User Says Thank You to IgG For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-16-2020)