follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 AM   #15
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Muffler, resonator, they are the same thing. Both alter sound via resonating it. Does a single small bottle style resonator reduce volume a ton? No, but it will reduce the volume some. A dual resonated front pipe is the best bet for reducing rasp and volume while retaining the track pipe.
Literally google muffler vs resonator. Resonators kill undesirable tone while mufflers muffle, ie lower decibels. Resonators don't lower volume. If they are the same then why are they constructed in different manners to do different things?
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
guybo (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I was debating a dual resonated FP. I have no problem spending a few bucks on one. Was just curious if it would actually make a difference so I asked before spending said few bucks lol. Now have you heard anything about the "track pipes" with a muffler? Doesn't ft86speedfactoty make one? Curious if I did both those things how it would sound.
I have heard of a couple actually, here's one that nameless makes https://shop.namelessperformance.com...-pipe-brz-frs/

Not sure how much it will cut down on sound though. Probably a little more than a bottle resonator will do. Maybe combined with a resonated front pipe it might cut it down decently.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Detroiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
Literally google muffler vs resonator. Resonators kill undesirable tone while mufflers muffle, ie lower decibels. Resonators don't lower volume. If they are the same then why are they constructed in different manners to do different things?
dude they are the same thing. There is different style of resonators that focus on different things. IE a huge non straight through muffler will cut down sound a lot more than a small straight through one. Doesn't change the fact that they are essentially doing the same thing. You can tune them to focus on different frequencies but they are reducing volume no matter what. Do you think when a "resonator" removes the undesirable tones it leaves the sound level untouched? No it will be measurably quieter. Doesn't mean it will make a huge difference but I guarantee a dual resonated front pipe will be quieter than a straight pipe one.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Stock, or JDL Ultra quiet front pipe. That should help a ton.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (09-26-2017), lantsalot (09-27-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
NRXRaptor has it right. Resonators are not mufflers. Totally different animals. Mufflers reduce sound. Resonators change sound. A glasspack is often called a muffler, but it is a fiberglass packed resonator. Mufflers have several different designs, but a resonator is always straight through.
Attached Images

guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
Detroiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
NRXRaptor has it right. Resonators are not mufflers. Totally different animals. Mufflers reduce sound. Resonators change sound. A glasspack is often called a muffler, but it is a fiberglass packed resonator. Mufflers have several different designs, but a resonator is always straight through.
I get what you both are saying, and the general market around aftermarket car parts has adopted that a resonator is a bottle style straight through design and a muffler is not. But I think the sound science behind it is that they are both just different versions of the same thing. A resonator does just that it resonates the sound waves to cancel them out. Both do exactly that. The only difference is the style. For example my Greddy Revolution RS catback has a resonator on the midpipe and a muffler on the end. Both are 100% straight through with perforations allowing for resonance in the chamber to alter the sound. The muffler is wider in diameter but they are essentially the same thing.

Of course there is the more complex mufflers with various different chambers that resonate the exhaust more and in different ways to reduce it further but its just a more complex version of the same thing. Whether any car part website will list them in the same category or not I doubt it as most people use the two terms to categorize them but I still stand by that they both belong to a larger family of sound altering products called resonators.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
I get what you both are saying, and the general market around aftermarket car parts has adopted that a resonator is a bottle style straight through design and a muffler is not. But I think the sound science behind it is that they are both just different versions of the same thing. A resonator does just that it resonates the sound waves to cancel them out. Both do exactly that. The only difference is the style. For example my Greddy Revolution RS catback has a resonator on the midpipe and a muffler on the end. Both are 100% straight through with perforations allowing for resonance in the chamber to alter the sound. The muffler is wider in diameter but they are essentially the same thing.

Of course there is the more complex mufflers with various different chambers that resonate the exhaust more and in different ways to reduce it further but its just a more complex version of the same thing. Whether any car part website will list them in the same category or not I doubt it as most people use the two terms to categorize them but I still stand by that they both belong to a larger family of sound altering products called resonators.
Bruh, if they were the same then they wouldn't be different. What you're doing is false equivalency. Just because mufflers and resonators fiddle with sound waves doesn't make them the same thing. That's like saying a prius and a porsche 918 are the same thing: they both use hybrid power trains, yet they are obviously not the same thing at all. The end goal is completely different: one is an econobox with good gas mileage and the other is a hypercar. Mufflers lower total sound volume, resonators reduce/eliminate particular sounds. They are not the same

Last edited by NRXRaptor; 09-26-2017 at 05:53 PM.
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #22
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Catless ftw! Lol. I want to make my extra 2hp
I don't care about the extra 2hp. I considered my loud exhaust a safety feature! lol

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I live in a RV Resort so noise was a big concern for me. I have a top speed EL catless header, HKS dual resonater front pipe, and Invidia Q 300 exhaust. Nice and quiet, no complaints from the neighbors, but still sounds great wham you put your foot into it.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #24
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Bruh, if they were the same then they wouldn't be different. What you're doing is false equivalency. Just because mufflers and resonators fiddle with sound waves doesn't make them the same thing. That's like saying a prius and a porsche 918 are the same thing: they both use hybrid power trains, yet they are obviously not the same thing at all. The end goal is completely different: one is an econobox with good gas mileage and the other is a hypercar. Mufflers lower total sound volume, resonators reduce/eliminate particular sounds. They are not the same
Just to counter-argument...

Disk brakes and drum brakes. They achieve the exact same purpose but the application is what is different.

I think that is all Detroiter was trying to say. A muffler and a resonator achieve the same purpose, they alter the sound waves coming from the exhaust system. How they do it, is just different.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #25
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
From what I've read resonators don't make things quieter they just get rid of undesirable tone. That's what mufflers are for
The problem starts with the manufacturer... sometimes it's poor choice of words or even poor design.

OE systems do have mufflers + resonators (or just mufflers w/ large resonators that are more of a "mid-muffler" design than a resonator). Usually those exist because there is some specific frequency of exhaust note that is magnified elsewhere in the cabin, so they just add on a certain size box to tune out the annoying frequency.

Quote:
I was debating a dual resonated FP. I have no problem spending a few bucks on one. Was just curious if it would actually make a difference so I asked before spending said few bucks lol. Now have you heard anything about the "track pipes" with a muffler? Doesn't ft86speedfactoty make one? Curious if I did both those things how it would sound.
Just heed the advice of others and put your stock front pipe back on. That will solve 99% of your sound problems.

Quote:
Part of this is assuming all resonators (i.e. glasspack muffler-looking things) are the same.

If the resonator is not designed to tune out a specific frequency, then for all intents and purposes it is a straight-thru muffler w/ packing material and a perforated chamber.

Because most aftermarket exhaust components are designed to replace one portion at a time, there's no effective published frequency cancellation and the resonators all function as small mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I think that is all Detroiter was trying to say. A muffler and a resonator achieve the same purpose, they alter the sound waves coming from the exhaust system. How they do it, is just different.
See above. Without a specific frequency being cancelled, all "resonators" function as mufflers.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote