follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Staggered tires can cause over-active traction control issues

I got 2 225/45/17 tires to try out as winter tires. I left my stock 215/45/17 tires in the front. I noticed my nanny's kicking in more and more often, but I thought that was just from the increased body roll of having softer sidewalls on the new winter tires. Then after my traction control light lit up at 50mph on a straight stretch of road in dry weather for no reason at all, I knew something else was causing the problem. I knew there are speed sensors in all 4 wheel hubs, and figured that the speed difference between the front and back tires is causing the problem. I like my new tires, so I'll be getting 2 more for the fronts, and that should cure the over-active traction control problem I have. Just thought I should post this for anyone else out there who is running mismatched tires.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I got 2 225/45/17 tires to try out as winter tires. I left my stock 215/45/17 tires in the front. I noticed my nanny's kicking in more and more often, but I thought that was just from the increased body roll of having softer sidewalls on the new winter tires. Then after my traction control light lit up at 50mph on a straight stretch of road in dry weather for no reason at all, I knew something else was causing the problem. I knew there are speed sensors in all 4 wheel hubs, and figured that the speed difference between the front and back tires is causing the problem. I like my new tires, so I'll be getting 2 more for the fronts, and that should cure the over-active traction control problem I have. Just thought I should post this for anyone else out there who is running mismatched tires.
Just so you know you should get narrow tires for the winter. Our cars are very lights and wide winter tires means you may have less traction as they will get up and "float" on the snow much like a wide ski is used to ski in deep powder. Increased surface area will also mean less weight for a given area witch means you may also lose traction on ice vs a skinny tire where there will be more force per inch and in theory will have more grip.

Correct me if I am wrong but thats just my thinking. I run stock size winter tires so I have not actually tested my theory hahaha.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
KoolBRZ

Garage
That's the problem with generalizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Just so you know you should get narrow tires for the winter. Our cars are very lights and wide winter tires means you may have less traction as they will get up and "float" on the snow much like a wide ski is used to ski in deep powder. Increased surface area will also mean less weight for a given area witch means you may also lose traction on ice vs a skinny tire where there will be more force per inch and in theory will have more grip.

Correct me if I am wrong but thats just my thinking. I run stock size winter tires so I have not actually tested my theory hahaha.
They're only correct for the most part. But, there are always exceptions. I don't usually get snow or drive in snow where I'm at, so I wanted a taller tire to give a better ride, and a wider tire for good dry traction. These tires also have a special compound for better wet grip. These give a better ride at this size, plus they have more wet grip than the stock Michelins. They even have better wet grip than my Michelin PSS's. They are also one of the only winter tires to get all good reviews on tire rack.com. They are Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06.
go_a_way1 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
They're only correct for the most part. But, there are always exceptions. I don't usually get snow or drive in snow where I'm at, so I wanted a taller tire to give a better ride, and a wider tire for good dry traction. These tires also have a special compound for better wet grip. These give a better ride at this size, plus they have more wet grip than the stock Michelins. They even have better wet grip than my Michelin PSS's. They are also one of the only winter tires to get all good reviews on tire rack.com. They are Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06.
Ah I see haha that totally makes sense!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How are those tires? I heard they are the best daily tires. O.O what do you think of them compare to PSS & Stock? More quiet & comfy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Correction to the title, this has nothing to do with staggered widths, it's the difference in diameter that does it. You can easily run staggered widths with matching diameters, or different diameters with square widths.

That said, the difference in diameter between 215/45 and 225/45 shouldn't be enough to make it throw a fit. You're looking at a 1.4% difference with those two sizes.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Digitalanalog

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, '95 BMW M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Or 2 different compounds gripping differently is setting off the nannies....
Digitalanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Digitalanalog For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
KoolBRZ

Garage
I got the second set installed yesterday. It rides like a normal car now. I can actually drive over sewer caps without biting the tip off my tongue. I used to say, "my car never hit a sewer cap it didn't hate." If you want a better ride, start with softer 225/45/17 tires. There is a definite squishy affect though. The tires are a bit too wide for the rims. An alignment is my next priority. They also vibrate a bit at first. It smoothed out when I dropped the pressure down from the 40 psi, to a more reasonable 35 psi. I drove through some 90 degree corners to test stability, and it didn't kick in once. My tune was a bit weak though, so I couldn't push it. It was one of those "Not enough, too much" tunes. I tune with an OFT and usually have 4 experimental tunes with 1 known-good tune. I'll post some more about traction control as soon as I figure out how to use tech stream to reset TC, AS, and SC back to defaults. I would definitely recommend these tires for DD. Just not for deep snow though, need skinnier tires for that stuff, it hardly ever snows here, it rains a lot though. I'm going to run these all year, and see how they do.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I tried Continental ControlContact Sport AS 225/45 on the stock rims and loved the ride but at any air pressure at all they wandered all over the interstate....like dangerouly!!

I ended up replacing them with same size Michelin A/S 3s and except for some over night flat spotting below 65* F they are awesome!! Much better than stock.
I also added 20mm spacers all around and had to put on splash guards but am really happy with setup.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't think the tire stagger is causing your problem. I have 235/45/17 on the rear and 215/45/17 on the front and have no issues. But then I automatically turn off the traction control as soon as I start the car. (Except in the rain, don't need to worry about snow.) I would much rather worry about the tires spinning than to have the engine "stall" when you least want it to.
I think your problem probably has more to do with 40 psi than anything else. I have to fill mine with 32 psi just to turn off the alarm. It handles better with 30 psi. A couple pounds seems to make a large difference. And at 32 psi the wear is always uneven. The center of the tire always wears before the edges.

Also, don't you have the Phantom ESC? Maybe that may also come into play?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I ran a staggered setup for the better part of 2 years.

Zero issues.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Benn running staggered with 225/45/17 in the back with the stock size 215/45/17 up front for about 2 years too now with no issues.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Turbos will totally cause your nannies to act up