follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
sikest

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NAV Install -Pulling VSS, Reverse and factory USB plug from HU 28 pin plug

All

I am about to install my aftermarket NAV head unit in my 2013 FRS and in searching for where to tap into the reverse gear and vehicle speed sensor VSS signals I found several references to these signals in the 28 pin harness connected to the HU. It looks like the factory USB and AUX inputs also connect with this harness.

I would rather not tap into the factory harness but have been unable to find anyone who sells the correct connector or harness to simply plug in. I see the SVXdc says he sells a harness he has not responded to a PM this week so I thought I better ask around.

Does anyone know if Scorche or one of the other manufactures make a harness to tap into these signals? It looks like a standard Toyota or Subaru plug so I would think you could buy one somewhere.

For those who have installed an aftermarket NAV did you pull these signals from this plug or from another location?

Thanks for your help in advance!

T.
sikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
rbizzle004

Drives: BRZ
Wait for SVXdc to respond but if your ready to install everything now just use wire taps for the reverse and VSS wire. That's what I did and when I received my harness from SVXdc I hooked it up that way. There are no other harness at this time for the reverse/VSS wires. SVXdc makes them himself.
rbizzle004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
rbizzle004

Drives: BRZ
If you need to know which wires to tap into I have that info at home.
rbizzle004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
sikest

All... Just wanted to provide a final update. Since the 28 pin harness in the FRS does not have the backup signal wire like the BRZ I really did not see any point in ordering a harness.

In the end I tapped the VSS from the 28 pin harness wire position #17.

For the backup camera signal I pulled this from the orange with white stripe wire in the drivers kick panel. Pull the kick panel and you will find two white plugs on the bottom, the orange/white wire is about mid way down on the bottom connector.

Overall I am pretty happy with the outcome. I installed a JVC KW NT800HDT with a backup camera and couldn't be happier except that the unit does stick out a little farther than I would like.

Thanks for all the help from you fellow forum members. It made the job that much easier.

T.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Pics would be great!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Pics would be great!
A pic would be great. I'm waiting to install the same one.
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
DkY in Vcr

Drives: silver, 4 wheels, goes wheee...
I installed my KW-NT300 this weekend, and it went in pretty good.

For the VSS, I just ignored it to let the GPS speed sensor do it's job.
For the reverse gear sensor, I tapped into the 48-pin plug in the kick panel, thanks goes to SpeedRacer in his thread here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ramarine+audio

... but note that the reverse gear wire I used is PINK, but not the obvious one on the right side, it's on the left side, and is pin #5 from the top. If you're unsure, the brown wire is pin # 4, for reference.
I peeled off the electrical tape & vinyl cover wrapping that wire bundle, to get my vampire crimp onto that pink wire, & it works.

Here's the pic from SpeedRacer's thread that helped me, but again, the reverse gear wire is kinda hidden in the pic, as it's on the left side of that harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
here is where I tapped the signal for the reverse gear...it is the pink wire pin 5 on the big plug, soldered in place here:

Bing
Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
sikest

Pic of the JVC KW NT800HDT installed. I don't like that the unit sticks out ~5mm from the dash kit but that is the only way the factory metal bracket would bolt up.
Attached Images