follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #925
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update!: My patience is wearing thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
9/9/2012: My Asphalt FR-S (vin 7087XX) is reporting a P0016 Crank-Cam position correlation fault code at 1600 miles. CEL and Traction Control lights come on. It feels like there's a power reduction. Engine Idle is OK. Car being left at dealer for repair.
I don't ask for a lot, I just want to be communicated to. I want someone to tell me when something is running late, I want someone to tell me what's going on with my car and I want someone, anyone, to tell me when I can expect this car back...

So on Wed they started working on the car but were missing four O-ring seals which connect the oil pump, actually embedded on the timing cover, to the rest of the engine. The O-Ring seals were missing from the original instructions which were sent to the dealer. The service writer on Wed said these seals would be here this Monday, October 1st. Instead, the parts dept confirmed that they's not coming until the 9th or the 10th. I learned that the service manager at my dealership was ordered by Toyota not to release the car to me until it was fixed (an interesting tidbit I wasn't aware of). I also learned the cam gear came hand packed in its box, giving him the impression it was taken directly from the assembly line.

There's a on-of-a-kind drifting-101 event coming up Oct. 7th in my area I REALLY wanted to attend. The leaves are changing color and the fall driving season is slipping away. The earliest anyone knows, my car will return to me 31 days AFTER it was dropped off for the P0016 code. I'm not sure anyone is entitled to "compensation" but EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THE USE OF AN OBJECT THEY HAVE PAID FOR, whenever they want to use it.

...I have spent more time and energy than I never would have thought possible understanding my FR-S as result of this unacknowledged, random issue. I have gone from surprise and disbelief, to embarrassment, on to frustration. Today I moved on from frustration to anger.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 09-30-2012 at 08:18 PM.
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-30-2012), ftc~brz (09-30-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #926
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
"My concern comes from the inability of replacement engine components to permanently make one engine send as proper of signals as another, this implies that something is different about the way it operates and the computer is not happy with that. Why would a simple rev counter become unhappy with these engines while another 50%+ seem to operate as intended? Additionally, if the computer is at fault, why does the computer seem to pick a specific cause of concern rather then all of the symmetrical parts?"
CMOS gets my vote for: "Most Likely to Succeed"

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
CMOS (10-03-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #927
Z06tofrs

Drives: Black fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well they finally fixed the issue. I picked up the car last night put 25 miles on it and it drives almost exactly the same as before, like a cow, but at least it doesn't drop the idle or barely run. so now I'm back to driving this till they find me another vette errr z06 I want.

After all the parts they replaced they were told to reflash my computer. So now it's either wait to find a vette or keep the frs and get any parts at dealer cost installed for free from my dealer.

If you couldn't tell how this keeps coming up. I love low low payments but hate the shit HP/TQ. I thought I could get over it but I just can't.
Z06tofrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #928
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
All the BRZs listed with a VIN are either 602xxx or 603xxx. Then again, many BRZs are listed with no VIN posted. Are there any pre-602xxx VINs seeing this issue?

My BRZ was among the first shipped to the US with a VIN of 600xxx. No issues and OBD-II reader showed no codes thrown thus far at 1200+ miles.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #929
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06tofrs View Post
Well they finally fixed the issue. I picked up the car last night put 25 miles on it and it drives almost exactly the same as before, like a cow, but at least it doesn't drop the idle or barely run. so now I'm back to driving this till they find me another vette errr z06 I want.

After all the parts they replaced they were told to reflash my computer. So now it's either wait to find a vette or keep the frs and get any parts at dealer cost installed for free from my dealer.

If you couldn't tell how this keeps coming up. I love low low payments but hate the shit HP/TQ. I thought I could get over it but I just can't.
Turbo?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #930
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
All the BRZs listed with a VIN are either 602xxx or 603xxx. Then again, many BRZs are listed with no VIN posted. Are there any pre-602xxx VINs seeing this issue?

My BRZ was among the first shipped to the US with a VIN of 600xxx. No issues and OBD-II reader showed no codes thrown thus far at 1200+ miles.
My VIN is 6024xx.... /knocks on wood. I'm almost at 900 miles and the car has been solid. I can only hope it continues to go well. My previous car (2010 Cobalt SS turbocharged) had random CEL/turbo issues and I bought it brand new and put 34000 miles on it and that was part of the reason I traded it in and got the BRZ.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #931
Z06tofrs

Drives: Black fr-s
Quote:
Turbo?
If Toyota released a supercharger or turbo kit yeah because it would then retain my warranty. After this debacle I would never heavy mod this car. Well that's a lie but I would def wait about a solid 1-2 years. With the turbo kit installed tuned and everything is what 5-7 grand? Maybe less 1-2 years from now but after a hard days work and dealing with the kids and wife my car is my haven, my escape if you will. I never should have done the trade to begin with but again without going into to many detail I went ahead anyway.

On a side note this is what they did to my car
140021 CMSHAFT TM-gear or sprkt(all) 4492. WT
1 su003-00413 sen assy-camshaft
1 su003-00414 sen assy-camshaft
1 su003-00285 spkt ay-cms , exh rh
1 su003-00287 spkt ay-cms , exh lh
1 su003-00096 valve ay-oil cont
2 00295-00103 fipg oil pan
2 00272-GTBC1 GT super LLC blue

There also part numbers for towing and car rentals and also a description that follows like this.
Update Toyota said replace the ECM which is on back order then was notified of an ECM reflash via tech line.

So they shipped it out and reflashed instead of replaced. In case anyone was wondering what all my car had been through over the last 3+ weeks
Z06tofrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z06tofrs For This Useful Post:
Alienate (09-30-2012), eurospeed (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #932
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pituala View Post
...I see nothing about oil or coolant on the invoice. I was told they would change the oil and coolant, but not sure now if that happened or not.
Just to be on the safe side I would swing by the shop and talk to the tech. Make sure they put in the correct subaru "blue" coolent as apposed to what they normally have around the shop for Toyota's...

Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #933
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Just to be on the safe side I would swing by the shop and talk to the tech. Make sure they put in the correct subaru "blue" coolent as apposed to what they normally have around the shop for Toyota's...

It occurs to me that if we, at the retail customer level, have to worry about this kind of thing, i.e., a Subaru-made car being serviced in a Toyota dealership, then this joint Toyota-Subaru car production idea isn't working out.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrk For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #934
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post

I'm a 601XXX. Build date 4/14, delivery 5/29.

Edit: and I didn't see this failure mode until 3,500 miles, so I wouldn't count you clear just yet.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #935
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
I'm a 601XXX. Build date 4/14, delivery 5/29.

Edit: and I didn't see this failure mode until 3,500 miles, so I wouldn't count you clear just yet.
You are making me nervous now. My build date is 4-12 with vin 601445. I have experienced random idle dips but no CEL or anything else yet. I also have almost 4,000 miles.

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #936
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
It occurs to me that if we, at the retail customer level, have to worry about this kind of thing, i.e., a Subaru-made car being serviced in a Toyota dealership, then this joint Toyota-Subaru car production idea isn't working out.
^^^ What he said...

Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #937
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah unfortunately these joint venture things always have stumbling blocks and hurdles, I'm honestly not sure why companies do it. Subaru went through it before with the Saab 9-2x. It would be best if the car could just be serviced at Subaru dealers since there is nothing really new on the car versus other Subarus apart from the D4S DI system.

What I'm saddened by is the lack of coordination between the two companies when it comes to TSBs and procedures. They should be identical when it comes to the FR-S/BRZ.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-30-2012), Marrk (09-30-2012), soconfoozed (09-30-2012), Subie (10-01-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #938
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
...I have spent more time and energy than I never would have thought possible understanding my FR-S as result of this unacknowledged, random issue. I have gone from surprise and disbelief, to embarrassment, on to frustration. Today I moved on from frustration to anger.
I commend you for holding out that long. I went straight to anger after the second week. Then again, the repugnant behavior of my local dealer certainly didn't help the matter.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote