follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #29
lewesyru

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
For those that want to know what is in the speaker box, here it is.

Is it difficult to pull the speaker out? I'm thinking of adding an on-off switch to the ASC and putting the switch button on the empty space next to the traction control
lewesyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #30
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkTrax View Post
So I picked up my limited 11/30, turned off the Active sound yesterday 12/1. The BRZ is so quiet with the exception of 18" tire noise, I turned it back on today 12/2 , just to be able to "Hear" the engine over 60+mph. (Yes I have access to the SSM4 dealer tool)

I figure once an aftermarket catback is available then it will be turned back off, but with the stock exhaust, its just too quiet.

Anyone else notice the tire noise on the 18" Limited stock setup vs engine sound?
Yeah we have a few threads on it. TLDR the thin sidewall tire + combo with the PS4s are just loud.

But hey, sportscar.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #31
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewesyru View Post
Is it difficult to pull the speaker out? I'm thinking of adding an on-off switch to the ASC and putting the switch button on the empty space next to the traction control
It's not hard, it just takes a while to get everything out of the way.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
lewesyru (02-14-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #32
Stigmaru

Drives: 2022 Halo White GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
I just looked up the parts and it looks like the Sound Creator ECU (MSRP $336.70) is connected to a single speaker (MSRP $111.70). Really? Would it have been unreasonable to apply that cost to an upgrade to the sound system? Tires? Fancy lug nuts? Get out of jail card?
That is ridiculous. That $450 could go towards improving the subpar Gen 2 sound system and/or adding wireless Carplay/Android Auto and/or putting in a faster chipset for the head unit so you can get better response from the UI.
Stigmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stigmaru For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (07-14-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #33
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigmaru View Post
That is ridiculous. That $450 could go towards improving the subpar Gen 2 sound system and/or adding wireless Carplay/Android Auto and/or putting in a faster chipset for the head unit so you can get better response from the UI.
You guys do know it doesn't cost Subaru $450 to make and install those things, right? That's an inflated OEM MSRP, the same as any other part from the dealer.
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:19 AM   #34
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor777 View Post
You guys do know it doesn't cost Subaru $450 to make and install those things, right? That's an inflated OEM MSRP, the same as any other part from the dealer.
True, but it does give you some perspective when you compare to other components that are actually essential to the operation of the car. I think that if the sound creator system failed, there wouldn’t be many people motivated enough to buy a replacement. If there was a demand for that, I would be willing to give mine away. When I get some spare time, I have a speaker output adapter that I will use to feed the sound creator into the auxiliary input on the audio system. I figure that it might be interesting to turn up the volume just a little.
Bristecom (07-14-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #35
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
True, but it does give you some perspective when you compare to other components that are actually essential to the operation of the car. I think that if the sound creator system failed, there wouldn’t be many people motivated enough to buy a replacement. If there was a demand for that, I would be willing to give mine away. When I get some spare time, I have a speaker output adapter that I will use to feed the sound creator into the auxiliary input on the audio system. I figure that it might be interesting to turn up the volume just a little.
I am about to unplug mine this weekend (along with nightshading the side markers and back-up lights, pulling the clutch assist spring and unplugging the driver weight detector connector), but I do think the concept isn't as absolutely horrible as I thought before I got it. FYI - I disconnected the sound tube on the first Gen but actually think this is better.

The biggest thing is that it goes from 0-100 volume wise (making it seem that much more fake). I actually like the sound it makes just hate that it goes from barely audible from 0-3500 rpm on low acceleration and screaming loud from 3500- 6000 rpm on high acceleration. My goal now is to find an exhaust that makes the same type of sounds but in a slightly less obtrusive way because I would love it if that is what my exhaust actually sounded like (at lower volume).

But that is a down the road project to be tackled when I install the JDL UEL header from my Gen1, which I won't do until there is a tuning solution that has been around and tested for at least a year or so. So I am still probably two years away from this mod...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (07-14-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #36
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can you not stick some foam over the speaker grill to muffle the sound a bit? Not sure if its accessible or not.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #37
dragoontwo

It is buried in the dash behind the HVAC controls. It requires a pretty good tear down just to get to it.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #38
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
It is buried in the dash behind the HVAC controls. It requires a pretty good tear down just to get to it.
I don't believe it is an accident that the plug is easily reachable. However, it is very odd that they simply didn't make it a settings option with volume/rpm controls - how tough would that have been? As I said above, might even have kept it on in some form if that were an option.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (07-14-2022), timurrrr (04-29-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #39
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
The volume is delectable on the automatic.

Not on the manual. Make it make sense.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #40
Flarpswitch

I am good with the Active Sound off and the stock exhaust system. Way back when we made any changes to the exhaust system (pre-emissions) it was to improve performance with a secondary goal of at least not making the exhaust note obnoxious. Don't make it louder, make it sound 'better'. All that investment in noise does not pay a dividend in real terms. Before I spend a dime on exhaust, I'd be doing brakes, tires and suspension tweaks. Everyone has seen those old Honda Civic Ricers on the street; all bark and no bite. I guess everyone needs a hobby, but all that noise and my Family Trickster Deluxe pulls away with barely touching the pedal. So sad. At first I was going to just have the dealer program the sound out on the first visit, but the easiest and least intrusive way is to remove the side panel and with a screwdriver, press and unlock the catch on the plug flicking it out of the socket on the control module. I secured the loose plug so it would not rattle around or get misplaced. I am still debating whether of not to go through with redirecting the sound to the audio system in the car. Splicing into the speaker wire close to the module might be a way of not tearing into the interior. Right now I have other fish to fry.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #41
dragoontwo

Quote:
I am good with the Active Sound off and the stock exhaust system. Way back when we made any changes to the exhaust system (pre-emissions) it was to improve performance with a secondary goal of at least not making the exhaust note obnoxious. Don't make it louder, make it sound 'better'. All that investment in noise does not pay a dividend in real terms. Before I spend a dime on exhaust, I'd be doing brakes, tires and suspension tweaks. Everyone has seen those old Honda Civic Ricers on the street; all bark and no bite. I guess everyone needs a hobby, but all that noise and my Family Trickster Deluxe pulls away with barely touching the pedal. So sad. At first I was going to just have the dealer program the sound out on the first visit, but the easiest and least intrusive way is to remove the side panel and with a screwdriver, press and unlock the catch on the plug flicking it out of the socket on the control module. I secured the loose plug so it would not rattle around or get misplaced. I am still debating whether of not to go through with redirecting the sound to the audio system in the car. Splicing into the speaker wire close to the module might be a way of not tearing into the interior. Right now I have other fish to fry.
There are plug numbers in a different thread that you could make a T harness to reroute the wires as you see fit.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #42
Flarpswitch

Quote:
There are plug numbers in a different thread that you could make a T harness to reroute the wires as you see fit.
I had considered that as a possibility with a small project box with a jack behind the glove box where I can plug in a cord and then plug into the AUX jack to impress my friends. I can't remember the last time I had a passenger. All my friends are old and decrepit. The one buddy who would go with me got crippled by the Covid Vax (yes, there are side affects). I had a conversation with a guy who has a pickup truck with an active sound gizmo. His comment went something like this, "Yeah, it really enhances my experience when I go to Home Depot to pick up a load of pavers for a job."