follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Verus Engineering Carbon Thermoplastic Splitter Components

Over the past year we've been developing a splitter kit produced from a carbon thermoplastic material. It's finally time to start a thread regarding these kits and the performance expectations from these units.

First, lets talk about the material properties as it is not something commonly used in the aftermarket yet. With a combination of unique characteristics including lightweight, stiffness, impact resistance, and wear, it is well suited for splitter applications. They will not fracture from impact or contact like carbon fiber, it will not grab and potentially bend under the car like an aluminum unit, and it won't break into sections from impact like ABS.

Front Adjustable Splitter:

Front splitters are very effective at producing front end downforce without increasing drag significantly by creating a large pressure delta between top and bottom surfaces. Velox Motorsports adjustable splitter is one of the first of its kind! One splitter, 4 sizes! With the ability to extend forward from the front of the bumper between 2 and 5 inches, this splitter can suit your specific needs and balance the car from various other aerodynamic pieces.

Bottom side showing counter bores for hardware.

Hardware Included

Benefits:
  1. Constructed from carbon thermoplastic, which offers strength, low weight, durability, and a great appearance
  2. Same material used in various forms of racing, including Indy Car, NASCAR, and F1.
  3. Adjustable design, entire splitter can translate longitudinally from 2 to 5 inches forward of the front bumper.
  4. With one splitter you can effectively hit the balance desired for various setups!

Data:

Estimated downforce gained over factory car with the 4 available lengths.

Drag increases slightly as the splitter extends further, 5 points moving from 2" to 5" estimated from our CFD.

Adjustable Carbon Thermoplastic Side Splitters

Side splitters really complete the appearance of your GT86, FR-S. or BRZ. Our side splitters feature a horizontal side splitter, and an under-body vertical skirt. In turn, this reduces the amount of high-pressure air making its way to the bottom side of the car. This high-pressure air typically produces lift, by reducing this, we reduce the lift or create down force from adding this component. With our design, we were able to reduce vehicle lift by 11 points while only increasing drag 2 points, which translates to an efficient design. Constructed from carbon thermoplastic, we have a strong, durable and lightweight component that also looks quite nice. The skirt is produced from plastic and will break off if impacted hard enough as to not damage the rest of the kit.

Both side skirt and splitter are adjustable to accommodate your specific ride height and desired look. The horizontal side splitter is adjustable in and out 22mm. The vertical skirt is adjustable up and down 19mm.

Data:
-Coefficient of lift reduced 11 points
*For reference the coefficient of lift decreased 11 points from 2" to 3" on the splitter data*
-Coefficient of drag increased 2 points

Jacking Up The Car
Below are photos of how we have been jacking the vehicle up currently. It takes maybe an extra minute vs. pinch weld. *You can always leave off the skirts, or the specific short access pieces, for easier lifting/jacking. I use these points to jack the car up just enough to get another jack under the differential or under the front radiator support.

Rear Jacking Point

Front Jacking Point

Carbon Thermoplastic Rear Spat

Wanting to complete the look of the rear end of the GT86 / FRS / BRZ, we came out with a carbon thermoplastic rear spat kit. Designed specifically to flow with the rear bumper and our rear diffuser, this ties together the rear end of the twins. Constructed from very strong and durable carbon thermoplastic, it offers an exotic appearance, the strength of carbon, and the durability of a plastic.

CFD Photos:

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by VerusEric; 01-15-2017 at 06:43 PM.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-15-2016), GTHachiRoku (11-14-2016), johan (11-14-2016), MaximeT (11-16-2016), Pat (11-14-2016), Takumi788 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Amazing work as always guys. The carbon thermoplastic seems like a nice material to work with!
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
How would you recommend jacking up the car (with side skirts/splitter) if you can't reach the differential/front cross member?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Honestly I think it looks like a spliter with fake carbon wrap off eBay on it. I'm sure this material is great I just don't like the look of it.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Jonsey

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How does the 5" compare to the current splitter with race upgrade?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Amazing work as always guys. The carbon thermoplastic seems like a nice material to work with!
Thanks, it's unique that's for sure! We have been fairly pleased with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
How would you recommend jacking up the car (with side skirts/splitter) if you can't reach the differential/front cross member?
I'll grab some pictures in the next few days. It does get a bit more difficult but I've been working around it for 4-5 months now without major headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Honestly I think it looks like a spliter with fake carbon wrap off eBay on it. I'm sure this material is great I just don't like the look of it.
We aren't really concerned with the looks and honestly it looks quite nice in person. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments. We were more after the function of the material.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Thanks, it's unique that's for sure! We have been fairly pleased with it so far.

I'll grab some pictures in the next few days. It does get a bit more difficult but I've been working around it for 4-5 months now without major headache.

We aren't really concerned with the looks and honestly it looks quite nice in person. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments. We were more after the function of the material.

Thanks,
Eric
K. I jack from the middle of the side(welded a reinforcement on the pinch) when I change my wheels for racing. My little jack won't reach the normal jack points and I don't want to bring my 80lb for jack or ramps
Old 11-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Over the past year we've been developing a splitter kit produced from a carbon thermoplastic material. It's finally time to start a thread regarding these kits and the performance expectations from these units.

First, lets talk about the material properties as it is not something commonly used in the aftermarket yet. With a combination of unique characteristics including lightweight, stiffness, impact resistance, and wear, it is well suited for splitter applications. They will not fracture from impact or contact like carbon fiber, it will not grab and potentially bend under the car like an aluminum unit, and it won't break into sections from impact like ABS.

Front Adjustable Splitter:

Front splitters are very effective at producing front end downforce without increasing drag significantly by creating a large pressure delta between top and bottom surfaces. Velox Motorsports adjustable splitter is one of the first of its kind! One splitter, 4 sizes! With the ability to extend forward from the front of the bumper between 2 and 5 inches, this splitter can suit your specific needs and balance the car from various other aerodynamic pieces.

Bottom side showing counter bores for hardware.

Hardware Included

Benefits:
  1. Constructed from carbon thermoplastic, which offers strength, low weight, durability, and a great appearance
  2. Same material used in various forms of racing, including Indy Car, NASCAR, and F1.
  3. Adjustable design, entire splitter can translate longitudinally from 2 to 5 inches forward of the front bumper.
  4. With one splitter you can effectively hit the balance desired for various setups!

Data:

Estimated downforce gained over factory car with the 4 available lengths.

Drag increases slightly as the splitter extends further, 5 points moving from 2" to 5" estimated from our CFD.

Adjustable Carbon Thermoplastic Side Splitters

Side splitters really complete the appearance of your GT86, FR-S. or BRZ. Our side splitters feature a horizontal side splitter, and an under-body vertical skirt. In turn, this reduces the amount of high-pressure air making its way to the bottom side of the car. This high-pressure air typically produces lift, by reducing this, we reduce the lift or create down force from adding this component. With our design, we were able to reduce vehicle lift by 11 points while only increasing drag 2 points, which translates to an efficient design. Constructed from carbon thermoplastic, we have a strong, durable and lightweight component that also looks quite nice. The skirt is produced from plastic and will break off if impacted hard enough as to not damage the rest of the kit.

Both side skirt and splitter are adjustable to accommodate your specific ride height and desired look. The horizontal side splitter is adjustable in and out 22mm. The vertical skirt is adjustable up and down 19mm.

Data:
-Coefficient of lift reduced 11 points
*For reference the coefficient of lift increased 11 points from 2" to 3" on the splitter data*
-Coefficient of drag increased 2 points

Carbon Thermoplastic Rear Spat

Wanting to complete the look of the rear end of the GT86 / FRS / BRZ, we came out with a carbon thermoplastic rear spat kit. Designed specifically to flow with the rear bumper and our rear diffuser, this ties together the rear end of the twins. Constructed from very strong and durable carbon thermoplastic, it offers an exotic appearance, the strength of carbon, and the durability of a plastic.

CFD Photos:
Coming soon!

Thanks,
Eric
This is the first time i am aware of this kit, and i like the flow of everything. I don't like huge lips, and the adjustability looks great. Is a realease date available, or a price? Or is this still in the works?

"Chasing speed with patience"
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
This is the first time i am aware of this kit, and i like the flow of everything. I don't like huge lips, and the adjustability looks great. Is a realease date available, or a price? Or is this still in the works?

It's already released bro. Check out FT86speedfactory.com or look for velox on Google. They have a couple rear diffusers too along with a few other aero/race car parts
Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
Eric
Yeah function is more important then looks for sure!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I have the rear spats - they look really nice in person. Pictures definitely don't do this material justice.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-14-2016), VerusEric (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wtf.

Need this in my life

Looks like mine will be up for sale soon
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
K. I jack from the middle of the side(welded a reinforcement on the pinch) when I change my wheels for racing. My little jack won't reach the normal jack points and I don't want to bring my 80lb for jack or ramps
That's really neat! I never thought of doing that before... pretty smart!

On that same token, you could likely fabricate something to work with the side splitters even better than my current work around. I'm still planning on grabbing some photos when I can .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post

The kits are on our vendor's websites as well as ours . It is officially released and has been tested for 5-6 months or so and up to 140 MPH.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
What would the advantages of this splitter be over a custom honeycomb core carbon splitter?