follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Reviews/Insights into Crystal Eye / Spec-D Tail Lights?

I'm looking into getting some Crystal Eye / Spec-D Tail lights (Clear lens style). They aren't exactly to my liking, so I'll probably have a shop open them up put some red chrome into them.

Nonetheless, I haven't been able to find much in the way of long term durability/functionality through the forums. Their popularity appears to have tapered off once Valentis started getting introduced, and it's pretty hard for me to find recent reviews on them.

I know the headlights have run into trouble with the UV coating and lens; would anyone out there have some insights into how the taillights have been holding up over the years? (condensation, lens peel, lens crack, LED failure, etc)

Thanks!

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 02-19-2018 at 04:33 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I bought Ebay Crystal Eye tail lights and they have had held up great. No issues at all. You can find them for $250 new at the moment, and they appear to be the exact same quality/construction as the legitimate Spec D tail lights (which go for $400-500).

I wanted something a bit different than the typical valenti -- the Crystal Eye does the job.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
EndlessAzure (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I bought the Spec D lights (the real ones (which only go for $300)). One light had 2 leds in the brake ring fail after 3 months, but they sent me a new light for free. Now going on almost a year without issues.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
EndlessAzure (02-20-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I bought Ebay Crystal Eye tail lights and they have had held up great. No issues at all. You can find them for $250 new at the moment, and they appear to be the exact same quality/construction as the legitimate Spec D tail lights (which go for $400-500).

I wanted something a bit different than the typical valenti -- the Crystal Eye does the job.
Good to know. It's not much of a discount but I feel like it would be a shame to pull apart an "authentic" set. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I bought the Spec D lights (the real ones (which only go for $300)). One light had 2 leds in the brake ring fail after 3 months, but they sent me a new light for free. Now going on almost a year without issues.
Good to hear. I guess I'll go through a break-in period before I open up the tail lights to do paint.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crystal eye, spec d, tail light, tail lights