follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Vladror

Drives: Toyota 86 M High - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome to Africa

Thanks to the mod(s) for creating the African 86/BRZ forum.

How many of you are out there?
Vladror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Crewzern

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi there ... I am also in good ol RSA...jhb.
Crewzern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
MattQ-WP

Drives: Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi there... I asked for the forum, so I'd like a golden star please

INITIAL DRIVING CLIP
MattQ-WP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
HellBoy 86

Drives: OPel OPC/VXR
Im here 2, representing KZN. wow those guys overseas realy are having fun with the 86- due to warranty issues we cant do much, very jelous! our wheel selection is terrible. so anyways Africa is on da map yepi lol
HellBoy 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
MattQ-WP

Howzit HellBoy and welcome to the club... Anyone who modifies anywhere (America Included) loses their warranty.. if you want to play this is something you need to make peace with. As to the wheel selection... we are pretty much poked when it comes to any modifying cars ... I previously modded a BMW E46 M3 and had to ship every single part in from the states... once you start bringing in larger quantities of stuff the shipping get better... also we can try and arrange some group buys for the SA lads and this will also drop our costs.. Right now we should just sit tight... let out motorplans play out.. and watch the US guys.... let them spend the big bucks making all the early adopter errors and in about 2 years time we will be able to reap the rewards of all their research.

Also.. our local pricing on the TRD bits is very competitive.. same as the US and we get the JDM stuff here which is arguably better... none of the TRD bits void your motor plan and modding your suspension, breaks and chassis are by far the best mods you can do until you have 100% mastered a new car.. only then will you REALLY benefit from adding more power.. and by then your motorplan should almost be done...

INITIAL DRIVING CLIP
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
HellBoy 86

Howzit Matt, for sure let those boys practice and when they perfect something we can lay our wallets on the line. Honestly how does the 86 feel on the road, it seems very agile and nible but does it go? Im planning on selling my opc for the 86 but its us seems alil plasticy?? hows the car on acceleration? fuel cosumption match the 7.8 figure claimed? im thinking of getting a red 1 high spec- those TRD parts seem alil expensive %k for front spoiler and 5,5K side skirts then again it is agents stuff. as u mentioned for now i rather get a set of wheels and modd suspension. Will fitting a set of coilovers void warranty? Sorry for the million questions but im keen on the 86 since u have 1 already u can jus advise me on the do's n donts. thanx bro
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Vladror

@hellboy: it seems that the official acceleration figures understate the performance b/c the car redlines in 2nd gear just before hitting 100 km/h, so that's an extra shift to 3rd to hit 100. I looked at the 0-200km/h figures yesterday and it does 31.2, which is slightly faster than a model V golf GTI.
It doesn't feel slow, but you need to be in the right gear to make the most of it.
as for fuel consumption, i did 8.7l on my maiden drive from joburg to cpt, but that was with keeping the RPMs under 4000 all the time. on my work commute, which has no flat roads and non-fuel efficient driving i currently do 10l/100km
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
MattQ-WP

I'm seeing around 11L / 100km at best.. that's with loads of stop start and mostly spirited driving.. I got it down below 10L / 100km on one of my first tanks but it was too depressing driving like an old fart the whole time.. I recon it's possible but you have to be doing long distances as reasonable speeds to get your usage that low.

As for normal spec VS high spec... there is ZERO advantage to high spec... in fact the extra expensive bit only add weight but no functionality... the stock car is the best platform if you are planning to modify.. and everything that the high spec has will be available aftermarket.. only cheaper and better!

This is generally what happens with modding.. so just be patient and wait... I recon there will even be pure CF versions of the TRD kit at half the price before long... patience young paduwan!!

As for power and all that... the car needs more, however a lot of driver skill is still required to full unlock this car.. and agreed with Vladror.. you need to keep it up against the redline to see it's full potential.

I didn't run mine in... just drove it like a nutter from word go... I plan to mod it radically so I'm gonna get everything I can out of the motorplan before it's over

oh yeah.. I recon lifting the redline will work wonders as I have bumped off it twice already and I could FEEL that the engine had more!!

INITIAL DRIVING CLIP
The Following User Says Thank You to MattQ-WP For This Useful Post:
Matt_RSA (10-05-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
HellBoy 86

Hi Vladror , thanx on for the info.. seems alil thirsty for me but i know scooby motors are generaly thirsty.Do u feel the lack of torque or is it more then enuf? obviously we cant compare this car to a turbo factory car but how does it match up to the 2011 honda civic type R - they make the same power figures? so how does the car sound with the stock exhaust? im gona miss my opc so much but opel spares are jus rediculously priced !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are the draw backs you find about this car ?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
Crewzern

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Back seats are there for show or midgets
Lacks power in jhb
Aftermarket speed shops in SA dont stock anything yet.

Plus side...a real head turner and and lots of thumbs up
Crewzern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
HellBoy 86

Thanx guys for the info... much respect. @Matt- i modified my OPC and GM gave me beans when i had a claim so iv learned my lesson there, wait out the motorplan and then fiddle.. wtf 11L/100KM thats heavy in my book for a stock engine, iv got a modified Superboss(lol street legend) and its about 10L/100 combined cycle then again it does tip the scale at 945kg??? bt on a serious note until we get any mods available here we can mostly style da car. My concern is if i add coilovers will it void the warranty? Stock rims seem to be on the right side of ugly and if im goin with a set of 18" it does need the drop to give it that stance.. so any ideas? @Vladror thats very suprising that the 86 beats it to 200km/h but in stock form they are very sedate.
@ Crewzern the tuners in SA dont seem to be very interested in this car, unless they all are waiting for the overseas guys to trick it out and for them jus to bring the parts in and install? Software will be an issue for us because there are 101 copycat companies out there. Honestly iv dealt with alot of tuners in durban and well lets jus say some of them dont know ther arse from their elbow lol.. myb companies like
'NO sweat racing" or "RGM" or "JDM" myt be the first to tinker with them? anywho the 86 is dam sexc
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Vladror

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoy 86 View Post
Do u feel the lack of torque or is it more then enuf? obviously we cant compare this car to a turbo factory car but how does it match up to the 2011 honda civic type R - they make the same power figures? so how does the car sound with the stock exhaust? im gona miss my opc so much but opel spares are jus rediculously priced !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are the draw backs you find about this car ?
i've done about 3500 kms on mine so far (i did drive it in for 1500 kms though) and it feels like it gets more power everyday still (or maybe i'm driving it better) As matt said, it could use more power but in the same way i could always use more money
on the road you just shift a gear or two down if you want to overtake and it responds just like you want it to, it feels plenty fast and there aren't many cars around i reckon that can move faster. For instance i was behind a GTI the other day when the lanes cleared up while doing about 70, and he was trying to get rid of me but couldn't (up to about 140 when i just lifted my foot)
the only time you miss power is in low revs but i feel if it had much more power it would become tiresome to drive. my tires already shriek everytime i take a 90 degree corner from a stop, you have to dose the throttle carefully...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
HellBoy 86

Hi guys i test drove the 86 2day-full trd exhaust and kit. lets say this car feel very eager-u plant ur foot and it responds on the dime. the trd 4pipes have a nice grumble to it and offers a few more hp - though it doesn reflect much and if so then the standard 1 realy needs this upgrade.. car goes through gears well, changes are short ,swift bt feel alil hard when u throw it in., car hits the limit quickly and change up is easily taken.. car cruises well droping from 6 to 4 or 3 and vwola "go mode". car accelerates well but it likes that puling power-its not bad bt always at the back of ur mind. what i was very very dissapointed with was how flat the car is in 6, u gta rev five to get 6 to say hello im here. around corners the car feel planted and shifts weight very well. boy oh boy with the kit it turns heads. This car needs more power to realy have street cred but for style i rate it highkly since its 300k. I realy miss that hardcore acceleration that u get from a turbo car and the torque is very linear. myb the car is deceptive because nomata how hard i drove it u always feel in control.i reved it up to the redline let go the clutch n im off , no fuss- quick change in 2 and i hear a small squeel from the 18z, yes 18z. truth is i love the look of it, it myt not have gti bells n whistles within but its liveable-myb itl grow on me? im pretty sure with some upgrades the car will cum to life..sorry guys im not putting the performance down - its very good for what u get of the floor but im very much used to moded cars lol. so end verdict,i will have to bite my tongue and live with the plasticy inside,lack of rear seats and lack of torqu but u get a car that looks great, great driving position,and trys hard to do what ever minacle ideas u have conjured in ur head.. a must- change that radio to a din touch screen ! so im trading the opc in for a 86, i want the high spec but i have no idea of colour? its between red,oarange and white- what do u guys rate? the sales guy was holding his nuts close to him lmao. Guys im not putting this car down just being frank , so hope i didn offend any1 alas i 2 will be driving a 86 soon. cheers
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Vladror

@hellboy : welcome to the club