follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should Toyota abolish the Scion brand?
Abolish the Scion brand and use Toyota 133 48.36%
Abolish the Scion brand and come with a sports exclusive brand 27 9.82%
I don't care, keep the Scion brand 115 41.82%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #43
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
lol. your the one suggesting genocide. You chill
lol ok genocide bad. sorry.
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chenshuo For This Useful Post:
mangostick (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #44
dammitcubs

Drives: 2008 EVO X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
they need to abolish it for the fact that SCION doesn't negotiate price. Toyota, they do. It's stupid. I don't know if it true but that along means it's like a car max. and now they just annoying with me with no power to change their pricing.
dammitcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #45
.Woody

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If abolishing Scion means the U.S. gets the Toyota 86, then kill it with fire! Otherwise, I don't care.
.Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #46
ZC6BRZ
Wannabe JDM Type S

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Scion = Chevy
Toyota = Buick
Lexus = Cadillac
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #47
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
they need to abolish it for the fact that SCION doesn't negotiate price. Toyota, they do. It's stupid. I don't know if it true but that along means it's like a car max. and now they just annoying with me with no power to change their pricing.
seriously? lol.. if you knew how little they actually make on them you'd choke. Toyota makes profit on scions in volume sold, not per unit.

I'll put it simply. If it wasn't for pure pricing putting the brakes on gouging, you'd have paid what BRZ owners are paying for their cars if not more.

aint nobody gat time fo dat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Woody View Post
If abolishing Scion means the U.S. gets the Toyota 86, then kill it with fire! Otherwise, I don't care.
Uh.. you did get an 86. Less the headlights, foglights, goofy wing, ugly exhaust tips, 16" wheels and auto climate control. lol
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mangostick For This Useful Post:
SC David (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #48
corry29

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I never liked the Scion brand. I was pretty sad that the car (FRS) went under the Scion brand.

Then again I got an FR-S. Why? Because it's the only option to a Toyota 86. I wanted the Toyota side of the car because of the AE86 heritage. I wanted the same blood-line of cars that went all the way back to the AE86 Corolla/Treuno/Levin cars! I wanted Toyota badges on the car; because I wanted to be proud that I was driving a car that signifies TOYOTA and that its a spiritual successor to the AE86 which is a TOYOTA!

But what do we get? A freaking Scion. Who do we get? Freaking Jack Hollis who doesn't even know what the heck a boxer-engine is (Jay Leno's FRS review). He even proudly goes, "WE, at SCION wanted to make something new and different! THE FRS!" Scion division did squat for this car! All they did was remove the rightful Toyota badges.

Yeah, I guess you guys all know what was the first thing I did when I got my Scion FR-S. Toyota

*edit
Another reason is that these Scion cars are like kiddy-cars. It's the cars that parents buy for their reckless teenage kids. I'll admit; Yeah its cool! But the Scion brand can't be taken seriously. The FR-S or should I rightfully say, the 86 is too serious of a car for Scion to handle. I'm pretty sure in the long-run; these cars are still going to be super-fun to drive. I'm pretty sure in the long-run when we're a lot older and more mature and most likely to have moved up in the corporate professional world or whatever. People are going to ask us, "Hey, what car do you drive". I'm pretty sure we'll shiver as we muttered the words, "A Scion....". Compared to, "Hey, Yah! I drive a sports car from Toyota!"; then you can go on with the history of how it dates back to the AE86, 2000GT and throw in a few Supra names. If you say you drive a Scion and try to date back to old Toyota sports cars; they'll probably be confused and go, "Wait, why are you talking about Toyota? I thought you said you drive a Sky-On".

Then again this is just my opinion. No offense to the Scion huggers
Okay, I'm out

Last edited by corry29; 02-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.
corry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #49
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
huh? what have u been reading? the pist in the brz section was asking why they chose what they chose, just like i have the same post in the frs section asking owners why they chose what they chose. why are u and some others so sensitive?
Not sensitive. Just not sure what your reasoning is for posting this. I'm happy with my decision. I'm just saying some BRZ owners have a major superiority complex - you're a fine example of this. You're just trying to stir things up.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #50
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergyb View Post
It comes down to an emblem in my opinion. My FRS could have a giant metallic tomato as an emblem and I couldn't care less. It's about the vehicle itself, not the name brand or emblem behind it.

+1

well said good sir!
idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #51
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm thinking I should debadge the front of mine and put a rino horn on it..

Cuz that's about as serious as I consider the scion badges.

I really cant believe that some are THAT sensitive to what badges are on the car. You guys know what it is.. you know its heritage and you know why you bought one.

So, what's the problem? Being concerned over what others think is a fallacy. Are you fella's really that insecure that the branding on the car matters?
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mangostick For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #52
KAR

Drives: Whiteout 6spd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
call what you want, call it SHIT FRS, if its made by Toyota, ill buy it..
KAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #53
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I have a friend right now that has been wanting a s2k.. His coworkers knock the FRS because of being a scion.. One of the biggest bashers is a guy that drives a older Pontiac Grand Prix that's supercharged.. Hates all because its a scion.. I let my friend drive my car and he loved it.. And now really considering one.. But refuses to get the FRS instead opting for a BRZ.. Just because of the badge.. In my opinion unless your buying the top of the line BRZ.. Your paying a couple thou for a badge.. Just my opinion..

But I like the guys who talk about refusing to call it a scion and rebadge a a gt86 because of it.. Do the same accept the Acura NSX instead of honda NSX.. The Lexus IS instead of Toyota altezza ..

I'm with the rest of the people that don't care about the badge, I'd have got the car no matter what
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
mangostick (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #54
SC David
Bloberator

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
All the perceived lineage to the AE86 and brand loyalty associated with Toyota is pretty much bullshit, considering that Toyota handed the engineering reigns over to Subaru for this project. Those who bought the FR-S because they want to park it next to their AE86 are only kidding themselves. Other than the badge and the bodywork, the blood and bones of this car come from another company entirely. There's nothing pure about it, aside from it being a pure sports car developed by two likeminded companies. The branding is all superficial, and anyone who buys one car or the other for the brand alone is doing it wrong, unless they have an established and trusting relationship with a local dealer where their car will receive its warranty work.

If any BRZ owners out there want to trade one headlight, one side grill, half a front bumper, half of the hood and trunk emblems, and the "Z" from their trunk badge, I'm absolutely game.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #55
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Nah. I had a Scion before this. I just consider it a marque of Toyota.

Toyota has a actually done us here in NA a big favor with the FR-S. The GT-86, even the lowest trim, is much more expensive ($30k+). They realized the car wouldn't sell at that price point in NA, so they gave us a "stripped" version. They could have stripped out lots of things, but what they chose to remove were the things that have no effect on the performance of the car - heated seats, etc. Important things, like the LSD, were left in.

The FR-S is a pretty darn good deal considering the options we get at the price we pay.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not going to lie, like most, I was ashamed that it wasn't a Toyota; however, after having the car for five days (as cheesy as it may sound), I am actually proud to be a Scion owner.

Allow me to elaborate:
This car is a 25k, true, sports car. If it was any other brand, I can almost be sure that the price would have been at least 30k, and came with 15k worth of potential options (1 Series, I'm looking at you). But the Scion is such a humble car. Your upgrades consist of a shitty head unit, some mats, mud guards, exhaust. The title reads "Toyota, Scion FR-S", so it's still a Toyota regardless of what the badges say. I like that the company is transitioning from box cars, to sports cars, and that I can turn heads with a Scion. I like the subsidiary company's philosophy. Even the emblem has been growing on me.

TL;DR
Stop bitching about Scion badge and enjoy the god damn car.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote