follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
so many things, where to start. first off welcome to this side of the subaru/scion forums. My mom literally just traded in a '07 Outback 2.5XT we had for 12 years in maunal for a crosstrek. I can say from driving the OBXT, if you get a 3.8R, its not going to give you any thrills, doesnt change that fact that you are still riding in a vanilla wagon that nobody notices, except for nerds like myself. its faster, but i drive how i drive, regardless of what im in. if you were in an AMG wagon, or a F-Type shooting brake on the other hand, thatd turn heads... And a WRX? my love for them dwindled after owning an actual sports car, the BRZ, I just look at all 4-door sedans the same now... meh.

as far as the BRZ utility, its not god awful. did you know you can fit four mounted wheels and tires in it with the back seat down?(nobody can sit in them anyway). 4-5 bags of groceries can fit in the trunk, and if need be, fold the seats down and fit a full load. after driving an outback for 10 years prior, im not offended by the brz's utility contrary to everyone moaning and groaning.

transmission
get a 6MT, its not rocket science, youll be brushed up in two days. give yourself more credit man.

Snow? you can drive the car in snow all day, no problem. its a driver thing, anyways, not a car thing. the driver is ultimately the one that decides whether or not trouble happens, but 100% get a winter wheels setup, they can be had for 4-500$ on the forum. at the end of the day, be like a normal person, if its supposed to snow four feet, maybe head to the grocery before it starts. i know, its a weird thought, i used to be oblivious to the weather driving a outback for 10 years.

Tires? i dont car what you are on in the summer, but you need winters in winter. Notchy transmission? get over yourself... its a car. your going to hop in a brz and be like "hey, this drives like a car, just like any other car on the road, its a car... what was all the fuss about? I am in a car, that is driving like a car, imagine that"

maintenance
if you get a M/T 2013 or 2014 you will need to change its throwout bearing.

I purchased a one owner 35k mile 2013 BRZ that was supercharged, paid $15k. it had Enkeis, and a catback exhaust. its not as complicated as others might make it seem. get what you want to get. i did and im so happy i didnt listen to everyone saying "eww ohh boo, you need a normal persons car like a wrx" well it turns out that i dont.
Ummmmm Haxx. Nice write up but the dude made his mind up two years ago and hasn't logged in since.
HaXx (04-04-2020), nikitopo (04-04-2020), why? (04-06-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #86
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ummmmm Haxx. Nice write up but the dude made his mind up two years ago and hasn't logged in since.
goddamnit, i saw this thread in the new posts section and went to the original post haha
soundman98 (04-04-2020), Tcoat (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #87
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
goddamnit, i saw this thread in the new posts section and went to the original post haha
ElijahF (04-04-2020), HaXx (04-04-2020), why? (04-06-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #88
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
so many things, where to start. first off welcome to this side of the subaru/scion forums. My mom literally just traded in a '07 Outback 2.5XT we had for 12 years in maunal for a crosstrek. I can say from driving the OBXT, if you get a 3.8R, its not going to give you any thrills, doesnt change that fact that you are still riding in a vanilla wagon that nobody notices, except for nerds like myself. its faster, but i drive how i drive, regardless of what im in. if you were in an AMG wagon, or a F-Type shooting brake on the other hand, thatd turn heads... And a WRX? my love for them dwindled after owning an actual sports car, the BRZ, I just look at all 4-door sedans the same now... meh.

as far as the BRZ utility, its not god awful. did you know you can fit four mounted wheels and tires in it with the back seat down?(nobody can sit in them anyway). 4-5 bags of groceries can fit in the trunk, and if need be, fold the seats down and fit a full load. after driving an outback for 10 years prior, im not offended by the brz's utility contrary to everyone moaning and groaning.

transmission
get a 6MT, its not rocket science, youll be brushed up in two days. give yourself more credit man.

Snow? you can drive the car in snow all day, no problem. its a driver thing, anyways, not a car thing. the driver is ultimately the one that decides whether or not trouble happens, but 100% get a winter wheels setup, they can be had for 4-500$ on the forum. at the end of the day, be like a normal person, if its supposed to snow four feet, maybe head to the grocery before it starts. i know, its a weird thought, i used to be oblivious to the weather driving a outback for 10 years.

Tires? i dont car what you are on in the summer, but you need winters in winter. Notchy transmission? get over yourself... its a car. your going to hop in a brz and be like "hey, this drives like a car, just like any other car on the road, its a car... what was all the fuss about? I am in a car, that is driving like a car, imagine that"

maintenance
if you get a M/T 2013 or 2014 you will need to change its throwout bearing.

I purchased a one owner 35k mile 2013 BRZ that was supercharged, paid $15k. it had Enkeis, and a catback exhaust. its not as complicated as others might make it seem. get what you want to get. i did and im so happy i didnt listen to everyone saying "eww ohh boo, you need a normal persons car like a wrx" well it turns out that i dont.
Nonetheless, thanks
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #89
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
just wanted to see what steelies options there were for the 86 and the rc grade wheels looked like some i was interested in.
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #90
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Button pressing is for video games. Doesn’t compare to physically using a clutch, shifter and throttle in perfect harmony. There are lots of cars with nannies that can out perform an average driver. While high tech it’s still lame letting a computer drive for you. I’m okay with being told I’m living in the past. I make very heavy use of technology in all other forms of my life. Im a software dev so I’ve written all kinds of home automation at the house all the way down to my sprinklers (because all off the shelf sprinkler controllers suck). Automated driving is where I draw the line.
This is for you! You can manual drive a supercar with this one
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #91
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Just did a quick check on Assetto Corsa PS4 Ultimate Edition. Stick shift works for 86 and AE86 but not Ferrari 488 GTB or Toyota TS040. One would expect the better sims to stick to the real thing rather strictly correct?
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #92
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
Just did a quick check on Assetto Corsa PS4 Ultimate Edition. Stick shift works for 86 and AE86 but not Ferrari 488 GTB or Toyota TS040. One would expect the better sims to stick to the real thing rather strictly correct?
I thought it could be possible but not with all games apparently.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #93
daniloneil8

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1226 View Post
That’s cool. Thanks. I love the real world comparisons.

I wonder if all four tires would fit in the trunk after a swap or if I’d have to make multiple trips to the tire shop...

Again if anyone knows a way to clone tpms sensors that would be appreciated.
Swap the wheels at home.
You clearly have a jack.
Use your SUV to get snow tires installed the first time on the steelies.

Let it go with the TPMS stuff.
Yuo won't die if there's a light on your dash for a few months when you're barely driving it anyways.
Get the OCD in check, and let go, in general.
daniloneil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daniloneil8 For This Useful Post:
why? (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #94
daniloneil8

Drives: FRS
Don't be overthinking this to the point of paralysis.
Buy a used BRZ for $15k. A nice one. Not modded.
This is not a lifetime decision.
Don't like it ? Sell it for $14k after a year. Rental cost.
At your age, insurance is cheaper than you think.
Just look for a clean used one. Any year is fine
All the same. This is a driver's car.
The only features you need are a tight steering wheel, stiff suspension, and 3 pedals
BRZ kicks ass. Just do it. Clutch will be learned in 15 minutes.
What is batshit crazy is dropping $35k on a wagon.
$15k BRZ. You will get much of your money back if you sell it after a year.
Very low risk decision.
daniloneil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #95
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
what have i done
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #96
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post

I started autocrossing in 1997 and was instantly addicted and wanted a way to get a fix between events, so I went on a hunt for a sim that was more realistic than the Gran Torismo console games. I've used them all, GPL, rFactor, rF2, LFS, netKar Pro, all the EA F1 games and SimBin mods, iRacing, AC, ect. My preferred sim is rFactor2 and I've done several seasons with VEC. Still not the same as the real deal but I would rather drive a manual in a sim than an auto in real life. Hahaha.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (05-20-2020)

Tags
3.6, ambassador, brz, legacy, outback