follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM Audi A4 domelight vanity LED retrofit

I've had this mod for a few years now and I felt it was time to share. The twin's interior at night always felt too dark to me, I missed how my old Audi A4 had interior lighting that would like up all the aluminum interior trim pieces. So I swapped those LEDs over to my BRZ with fantastic results.

Preperation:

You will need to buy a used OEM domelight from the Audi A4, model years 2002-2008. I bought a 2003 domelight from eBay, but ultimately you will buy something similar to this:

I wish I had pictures of how I disassembled the Audi dome light, but it is extremely straight forward. Remove phillips heads screw to extract the LED module and disconnect the power/ground wires. The LED module is held in place by pressure or clips, but I can't remember. Very easy to remove:

You will end up with this:

I replaced the Audi connectors with pin style connectors from an old Invisicord cable I had laying around. The connectors look like this:

Place double sided tape behind the LED module (flat side, not resistor side):

Installation:

Remove domelight by inserting a screwdriver or other trim remover here and pry down to free the Subaru/Scion/Toyota domelight from it's mounting clips:

Disconnect the domelight power cable from its harness:

You will need to notch the exposed rectangle where the domelight sits to make room for the new LEDs (I did a really rushed job with a knife and sand paper, so I know people will do much better):

Cut a notch on the bottom of the twin's domelight so the light has a place to shine through. I tried drilling individual holes because that would be much cleaner, but messed up so I just drilled out a half-oval for the light to shine through. Once again, I think someone else could've done a much better job here:

Remove 3m tape backing on the LED module and adhere to the OEM twin's domelight. Amazingly, it fits right between the 2 Toyota mounting clips. What are the chances!

The lights shine through like this:

You will then need to disconnect the mirror power harness which is found just above the domelight power harness (Thank you @speedracer38 for the pictures:

This is the connector you will plug into:

Make sure that the clip is facing down when you install the newly installed pin connectors, but the red wire goes BOTTOM RIGHT and the green wire goes BOTTOM CENTER:

Finally, put everything back together taking care to not snag any wires.

Enjoy your new OEM Audi LED vanity light!

Last edited by norcalpb; 06-03-2020 at 11:02 PM.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did something similar.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (06-08-2020)