follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #71
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
14k+ miles, the A/C only cycles on and off when the A/C button is pushed or the defroster is on, you can hear it at an idle, you can hear the belt chirp (lots of threads made on that 'issue') and you can feel the load on the motor, I don't notice it all the time (my attention is usually elsewhere) but I have yet to feel or hear it unless the proper setting is engaged. Even on max cold the compressor isn't running all the time, as you noticed with your Toyota. I thought you had implied that the compressor will kick on even if say you had it set to warm air from outside, did I misread you?
OK we agree. That's good because I was going into the someone is wrong on the internet mode

I think you did misread me or maybe I misread mitosis. He wrote, "and at no point is the AC compressor just gonna turn on on it's own whim." Anyway it doesn't matter. He thought he had complete control over the HVAC, I thought he didn't...
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autobrz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #72
mitosis

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2008 Fit
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
OK we agree. That's good because I was going into the someone is wrong on the internet mode

I think you did misread me or maybe I misread mitosis. He wrote, "and at no point is the AC compressor just gonna turn on on it's own whim." Anyway it doesn't matter. He thought he had complete control over the HVAC, I thought he didn't...
Phew... I'm glad you guys worked that out! I really wasn't trying to start any debates with my novel, I was trying to write a piece of prose about my love of our car

Yeah you misread me a bit... I was referring to the fact that the AC can not turn on unless I press the AC button or have defrost on. Once the compressor is engaged via the AC button or defrost I am well aware of the fact that the compressor does not run 100% duty cycle... I can feel and hear it every time it cycles... I am, after all, not new to this whole "cars" thing

So to clarify, I enjoy having complete control of the OFF setting... the AC switch is like a master breaker switch for the compressor circuit and the compressor can't turn on without me closing said breaker.
mitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitosis For This Useful Post:
autobrz (10-01-2013), strat61caster (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #73
bodayguy

Drives: 2016 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like the IDEA of a basics interior. They got a lot of things right: the shifter, steering wheel, seats.
But come on, people. This thing is so CHEAP looking in a lot of areas they could have spent a few bucks. It should come with a padded center arm rest (I bought my own JDM like many else). The BRZ controls are way nicer looking. I even spent good money on new visors from JPM Coachworks because the stock ones, which I touch every fricking day, felt like something from ToysRUs. Horrible.
bodayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #74
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@mitosis and others, you may really really appreciate how the base model black interior equipment changes the experience in the cabin.

Instead of this...

You get this:

Another angle:

Full breakdown here: p=1126084&postcount=375. Hat tip to @Superhatch.

Note: A BRZ is pictured, but these parts are cross-compatible with all FT86 variants.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (10-02-2013), mitosis (10-02-2013), Superhatch (10-03-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #75
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
@mitosis, Re your novel...a little long winded, but well stated, and I agree 100%
mitosis (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #76
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
FYI, the fake carbon pattern is actually a series of old Toyota "T" emblems. On the dash, tach, grille, other plastics all over the car. It's not a fake CF pattern.

Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anaxilus For This Useful Post:
mitosis (10-02-2013), strat61caster (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #77
mitosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
you may really really appreciate how the base model black interior equipment changes the experience in the cabin.
Oooohhhh yeahhhhhh... indeed. I would leave my houndscarbon bits intact but the rest of those would do well to clean up all those clashing silver pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
a little long winded, but well stated, and I agree 100%
Thanks!

I am generally a very long winded person (it runs in the male side of my family) and I usually have to try very very hard not to be. I feel like most arguments on forums boil down to simple misinterpretations of other people's thoughts because not everyone's understanding of dialect, slang, or idioms is the same (which is a totally OK thing)... so I use long-windedness as a way to make sure that I am being very clear with my point and not leaving my words open to interpretation or operating on any assumption of the reader being on the same page as me.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #78
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5

Personally, I love everything about the interior including the 'old-fashioned' HVAC controls. I did add a center armrest but it really wasn't a necessity, just found something nice to replace the cupholders which I don't use anyway. And it provides a nice area of covered storage. I've had Corollas for years as my daily drivers so everything is familiar and does the job.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (10-01-2013), mitosis (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #79
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis View Post
Oooohhhh yeahhhhhh... indeed. I would leave my houndscarbon bits intact but the rest of those would do well to clean up all those clashing silver pieces.
Yep, if you enjoy the dash piece you could pick and choose which black parts you want and create your own combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis View Post
I am generally a very long winded person (it runs in the male side of my family)
That's cool man. Welcome to the community. We are already enjoying your posts.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
mitosis (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #80
mitosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
FYI, the fake carbon pattern is actually a series of old Toyota "T" emblems. On the dash, tach, grille, other plastics all over the car. It's not a fake CF pattern.

Ah thank you!

I have been aware of that for a while but had yet to ever be able to find that old T that everyone was talking about (I guess my google-fu failed me or I didn't try very hard). That must have been way back in the day, eh? I honestly never paid too much attention to Toyota before the twins and would likely still be a 1000% Honda guy if they had kept making something ITR or S2000 like... so that logo is unfamiliar to me.

It's still not EXACTLY the same shape... but I can see how if you were to tessellate the top bit it would turn out 90%+ the same. So I'll just keep calling it "houndscarbon" since I know it's not actually houndstooth but is close enough to jokingly call it such.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #81
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
The 'T' mesh story from the intro brochure. But later in the brochure they mention the 'T' mesh in the dash panels as resembling 'carbon fiber'. No matter to me, I like it.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
mitosis (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #82
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I agree with the OP. I absolutely love the dash architecture. I think some aftermarket leather seats and armrests will make this sub-$30k car interior feel great. The one are that I will nitpick is the center console facade where the clock and climate control knobs are located. It looks like too many engineers had their hand in that area and the result is messy and haphazard. But I think the overall is very nice, considering it's not a Lexus. :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #83
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I love the inside of the car minus the fisher price hvac controls.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #84
Nothing

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The AC controls on the FR-S are the real let down on the car's interior. The system in the 10 series and the BRZ limited are what should have been there from the get go. Honestly it probably doesn't cost them much more if anything to just produce the same interior across the board.

And the lack of controls on the steering wheel does suck if you are like many of us with the "upgraded" BeSpoke system. God that whole unit and price is aweful. Touch controls in a car aren't the smartest idea. Try navigating your playlist or do anything on that thing while driving. Save yourself the headache and get a ProClip and use Siri to control your iPhone. It's the safest option.